Telematics anyone

pretzel_man

Well, apparently there is no incentive for management in our building to reduce misloads, because they have remained constant. The P Man can make whatever kind of excuses he wishes for the actions, but they fall on the management. As for the secret password...well, either it is factual, or it's an excuse that's used to avoid changing the trace. Either way, I think we can see where the problem is and who is left holding the bag.

Dusty,

Let me be clear. I make no excuses for management. I blame management for the problem.

Its management's job to do all the things I said were not being done. Remember, I said the employee should be trained, not disciplined.

The person making the excuse was not you. It was management.

If I gave the impression I was blaming the preloaders or drivers, that was not my intent.

P-Man

Dustyroads

Thanks, P. It's a first. A management person taking responsibility for service failures, instead of blaming someone else. A refreshing attitute.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Now when I see a post by hellfire, I'll have a visual image of Richard Simmons ... in blue short, shorts and a red satin t-shirt.

Nice!
ha ha ha another funny one,, ha ha ah how about you correct my spelling ha ha ha man you sure are nutty ha ha ha your a real zinger on this forum,,contribute alot with your nutty one liners funny guy ha ha ha

Catatonic

Nine Lives
ha ha ha another funny one,, ha ha ah how about you correct my spelling ha ha ha man you sure are nutty ha ha ha your a real zinger on this forum,,contribute alot with your nutty one liners funny guy ha ha ha

Thanks ... recognition is appreciated.
I would prefer to directly answer your rants/questions with honest to the point opinions/answers but P-Man keeps beating me to it! :biting:

However, I think it probably was UpState that corrected your spelling.
My mother was not an English teacher! :wink2:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Seems to me, you both are jumping on P-man about his posts. P-man has no control for what your management team does or can he help. He is explaining how it is done systematically.

He has said time and time again that nothing is worse than bad management. He is not going to call your center manager and try to fix their or your problems.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I have certainly seen some poor IE planners lately. Let me make some clarifications however.

The IE planner is responsible for creating a high level plan up to one month before the operation starts. They make a forecast of stops and pieces. Again, I've seen some horrible forecasts over the last year.

They take the forecast, and divide it by a planned stops per car to determine how many routes are needed by day. This is put into a system called PKG which records the forecast, plan, and actual. The planned stops per car is supposed to be jointly created between IE and the center and takes into account a planned paid day.

IE however does NOT do the dispatch. Each building should have a Package Dispatch Supervisor that actually creates the dispatch. Their plan is supposed to match PKG.

You are right that if the forecast is wrong, there will be a problem.

Have you looked at the PKG plan in your center?

What is the variance between planned and actual stops? What is the planned vs. actual stops per car and paid day.

You certainly may be right that the plan is the problem and not the execution. PKG will verify that. What does it say?

P-Man
pman,, no matter what i agree or disagree with you about ,,, i would like to thank you for directly answering my rants/questions with honest to the point opinions/answers ... thx

pretzel_man

pman,, no matter what i agree or disagree with you about ,,, i would like to thank you for directly answering my rants/questions with honest to the point opinions/answers ... thx

Fair enough. I guess we can stop the tennis match now.

Best of luck to you.

P-Man

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Seems to me, you both are jumping on P-man about his posts. P-man has no control for what your management team does or can he help. He is explaining how it is done systematically.

He has said time and time again that nothing is worse than bad management. He is not going to call your center manager and try to fix their or your problems.
To add to your post Hef, (if I may)

This is one of those 'don't hate the playa, hate the game' things. Each individual center and their management teams has to be responsible for their own actions. There is a big difference between explaing how things are done (P-Man) and who's responsible (Hellfire) for doing them.

Just my 2 cents.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It was funny that I posted a bunch of things about this battle, and hellfire came after you, LOL. No need to apologize to me, upstate.:wink2:

I didn't.

If you would have read my post to hellfire, I referred to him as the lowest world ranked tennis player who's first name just happens to be Steve. hellfire whined about the tennis reference so that's why I said, Sorry, Steve.

browniehound

Here is a little something that gets under my skin regarding "response required" messages. I'm not talking about being left in the lurch when asking the center an important question and not being able to "response require" myself.

It starts with "telematics". I can no longer remove the DIAD from the DIVA (is it still a DIVA? LOL) when the odometer is regeristing speed.

Sometimes it takes 45 minutes for me to get on or off area during rush hour. For example the OMS will send a response required message just as I leave the route to drive back. It will be a message asking if I can make a 2nd attempt on a sig. req. package. I cannot touch the DIAD while driving when I see the green light becauce telematics will show I did this.

Now, keep in mind the OMS who sends the mesage also "attaches" the response required feature. This means I cannot do anything else with the DIAD until I answer the message. Actually, I can pre-record it for 1 stop but once that is complete I can't use the DIAD until I answer the "response required" message.

My question becomes: why do I recieve 3 messages after asking things like :"why aren't you responding?", "did you get the last message?", "please respond I have to call the customer back", "please respond the customer is not happy that I can't give him an answer". All of these pop up when I hit the gas pumps at the building.

Why send these messages? She must know I can't ignore her. Does it dawn on her that I may be in route back to the center? Does she understand I can record deliveries when I "response required" message is active in my DIAD? Obviously the answer is 'no' to all?

My next question is WHY? Why doesn't she understand how the system works?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Here is a little something that gets under my skin regarding "response required" messages. I'm not talking about being left in the lurch when asking the center an important question and not being able to "response require" myself.

It starts with "telematics". I can no longer remove the DIAD from the DIVA (is it still a DIVA? LOL) when the odometer is regeristing speed.

Sometimes it takes 45 minutes for me to get on or off area during rush hour. For example the OMS will send a response required message just as I leave the route to drive back. It will be a message asking if I can make a 2nd attempt on a sig. req. package. I cannot touch the DIAD while driving when I see the green light becauce telematics will show I did this.

Now, keep in mind the OMS who sends the mesage also "attaches" the response required feature. This means I cannot do anything else with the DIAD until I answer the message. Actually, I can pre-record it for 1 stop but once that is complete I can't use the DIAD until I answer the "response required" message.

My question becomes: why do I recieve 3 messages after asking things like :"why aren't you responding?", "did you get the last message?", "please respond I have to call the customer back", "please respond the customer is not happy that I can't give him an answer". All of these pop up when I hit the gas pumps at the building.

Why send these messages? She must know I can't ignore her. Does it dawn on her that I may be in route back to the center? Does she understand I can record deliveries when I "response required" message is active in my DIAD? Obviously the answer is 'no' to all?

My next question is WHY? Why doesn't she understand how the system works?

When you leave your area send a message to the center. There is an option "finished work". They will catch on not to send any messages any more. Make sure you are actually leaving the area and not just hiding from messages.