Telematics Coming Soon.

UPSGUY72

I wouldnt even waste the time or ink on writing it up. What prints out on a Telematics report is their problem, not yours.

We have had telematics for over 2 years. I could careless what there reports show no one is perfect and technology isn't error proof. I follow the methods and do my job everyday with little if any thought and worries about telematics.

UPSguy

of course expect more fear tactics, but thats all they are in the name of Safety, Do your job wear your seatbelt, close your bulkhead door, and youll be fine- they cant fire you for telematics, buy they will tell you they can

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Today's mail included a letter from the union hall. They have scheduled a crafts meeting for next Saturday to give us an overview of Telematics. They are going around to the three centers within our local. We will then have a general membership meeting afterwards.

They also included a Hoffa/Hall 2011 bumper sticker---anyone want it?

onewithedd

oh by the way...we can see when you come back to the vehicle and open the bulkhead door...before you leave the stop...

What if?

I used my cart, because it was a heavy pkg. do I leave cart in cab til the next stop?

The package I delivered was a call tag. Do I keep the pkg in the cab til the next stop?

What if I picked up a ARS package while at the stop. Do I Keep it in the cab?

What if I am delivering multiple stops from one location? Should I waste the time to pull it forward 3 feet so it looks better?

Will I be spending valuable delivery time in the office for these SERIOUS infractions?

For a job that I really love, and enjoy doing (a metro route no less), UPS is really sucking the fun and life out of me!

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Does anyone know how far you must drive after you deliver a stop, before you show up on a report that you didn't back first. Yesterday I delivered a stop then drove down the road to turn around and I show up on a report that I didn't back first. My on car sup says I have to drive to the end of the road first, turn around and then deliver the stop, by walking behind the pgk car. which is backwards from how I was taught and how I deliver it the last time he ojs me. BTW Monday was the first day on Telematics

804brown

Does anyone know how far you must drive after you deliver a stop, before you show up on a report that you didn't back first. Yesterday I delivered a stop then drove down the road to turn around and I show up on a report that I didn't back first. My on car sup says I have to drive to the end of the road first, turn around and then deliver the stop, by walking behind the pgk car. which is backwards from how I was taught and how I deliver it the last time he ojs me. BTW Monday was the first day on Telematics

I heard it is 500 feet. So yes they want us to pass the house on your right , do your turn into that driveway or one down the road further, and then deliver the pkg so that you pull out going forward. Otherwise it will come up as a "backing first" even though you might actually drive forward; its crazy.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
What if?

I used my cart, because it was a heavy pkg. do I leave cart in cab til the next stop?

The package I delivered was a call tag. Do I keep the pkg in the cab til the next stop?

What if I picked up a ARS package while at the stop. Do I Keep it in the cab?

What if I am delivering multiple stops from one location? Should I waste the time to pull it forward 3 feet so it looks better?

Will I be spending valuable delivery time in the office for these SERIOUS infractions?

For a job that I really love, and enjoy doing (a metro route no less), UPS is really sucking the fun and life out of me!

onewithedd you are missing the point. On telematics I can see that you picked up a package, because you scanned it, right? The point I was trying to make is for those drivers that constantly enter the rear of the vehicle for no valid reason (you would be surprised how many people do it).

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

You are better off to just not worry about trivial crap like that. Do your job the right way, use common sense, and if your boss whines at you for showing up on a meaningless report just politely nod your head and say "I'll work on that." If they just installed Telematics at your center then you are in the initial phase where they will be printing out an absolute blizzard of reports each morning and your supervisors will be running around with their clipboards bitching and whining at everybody like the world is about to end. It will pass. We have been on Telematics since early 2009 and it has been well over a year since anybody has said a word to me about showing up on a report and I am a chronic repeat offender when it comes to recording while idling or pulling the board to look at my next stop.

hembone

You are better off to just not worry about trivial crap like that. Do your job the right way, use common sense, and if your boss whines at you for showing up on a meaningless report just politely nod your head and say "I'll work on that." If they just installed Telematics at your center then you are in the initial phase where they will be printing out an absolute blizzard of reports each morning and your supervisors will be running around with their clipboards bitching and whining at everybody like the world is about to end. It will pass. We have been on Telematics since early 2009 and it has been well over a year since anybody has said a word to me about showing up on a report and I am a chronic repeat offender when it comes to recording while idling or pulling the board to look at my next stop.
After awhile our supervisors hated telematics more than the drivers because of all the added paperwork and time they had to use to deal with all the trivial reports.

soberups

I can't see why it would come up as didn't back first if the driver stop completed the stop and drove foward.

Because for whatever reason you have to drive forward x number of feet before putting it in reverse in order to avoid showing up on the report. Its just a quirk or glitch in the system. It doesnt matter in the real world.

soberups

After awhile our supervisors hated telematics more than the drivers because of all the added paperwork and time they had to use to deal with all the trivial reports.

Same deal here, which is why after a while they just quit printing out all the damn reports in the first place. Seriously, the first few weeks we were on it we were burning thru reams of paper and several ink cartridges every week. The reports were like confetti all over the countertops and in the office. The wind would blow them around and they would make a huge mess. Now all they do is print out a daily "summary" that shows the total number of infractions for each driver, and pin it to the bulletin board that nobody looks at.

brown bomber

brown bomber
I am praying that is the case when I get back.
it will be, trust me.......you'll have 1 supe, all gung-ho with the numbers, running around in the AM, with the "report" questioning every action and reaction....until he or she realizes that it's a waste of time and effort......just reply " I don't recall that incident happening"....just keep using the methods

UPSGUY72

Because for whatever reason you have to drive forward x number of feet before putting it in reverse in order to avoid showing up on the report. Its just a quirk or glitch in the system. It doesnt matter in the real world.

Exactly you need to drive forward so many feet / time before you back. They can change that number they did one day two weeks ago I had six backing first exceptions that day. It's trial and error to find out the distance forward you need to go. They will tell you 500 ft that BS. I put the car in forward and go forward for about 5 seconds than back up and have no problems.

Neutral is a good friend if you need to back and aren't sure about the backing first exception and you have a slight incline. The sensor isn't attached to the wheels so if you roll backward it doesn't count as a backing event.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

it will be, trust me.......you'll have 1 supe, all gung-ho with the numbers, running around in the AM, with the "report" questioning every action and reaction....until he or she realizes that it's a waste of time and effort......just reply " I don't recall that incident happening"....just keep using the methods

Our center manager posts a center summary report only but will speak to anyone whose numbers are way out of line.

slaveofbigbrown

we've had it for a couple years now. tells them everything! how long trucks been running, how many backs youve done, bulk head open, seat belt events, you name it they now know it!