Telematics....Company wide?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
For those of you that don't have telematics you probably do not have GPS in the vehicle, as I remeber it, it is part of the telematics equipment that is installed.

jimstud

Banned
For those of you that don't have telematics you probably do not have GPS in the vehicle, as I remeber it, it is part of the telematics equipment that is installed.

like i said it doesn't matter if you have it or not as long as you are doing the job the right way there will be no problems.

UPSBluRdg03

No telematics here yet but I dont see it being a problem for me when it arrives. Only thing I will have to change is not reaching over and grabbing the diad while driving.

browniehound

Telematics will continue. It will likely go through large buildings first and then move to smaller buildings.

There are definitely cases of management going after stupid knit-picking items. There have been posts here about being asked about 90 second discrepancies. I agree that is stupid.

On the other had, I have seen cases of Telematics finding large discrepancies of inappropriate idle, inappropriate travel, inappropriate off area lunch, or inappropriate lunch / break recording. In the cases I'm aware of, they were all handled with a discussion.

The way the master agreement has been explained to me is that Telematics CAN be used for discipline, but not for a first offence. Therefore, the first discusison has resolved any issues, because the second offence can end up in discipline.

When looking at Telematics centers, Safety is better, cost has improved, automotive expense is down, and breakdowns are better.

Telematics is here to stay and other companies have been calling UPS for guidance on getting Telematics for themselves.

P-Man

Thanks P-Man, I always love reading your posts as they are always so informative. I've obsevered the same thing with Telematics. That being a brief discussion solves most disputes. A quick : don't do it again is usually the end of it.

tranham

Quick telematics quiz:

You turn into a 1/2 mile long driveway to deliver a package knowing there is room to turn around. The customer is halfway down the driveway and flags you to stop. Do you:

A: Stop and delivery the package there.

B: Ignore the customer, turn around first and come back to them.

C: Go into a long explanation to the customer why they can't have their package until you turn around first.

Answer is none of the above. Pick A and you get a back first exception. Pick B and you may get a customer complaint. Pick C and you will have wasted too much time. The correct thing to do it stop, hand the package to the customer and remember the last 4 digits of the tracking number. Go turn around, turn off the engine and hit scan. Then find Bar Code with the last 4 numbers and stop complete. Technology makes life so easy!

Robert

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You don't even have to remember the last 4. Simply go to that stop and, before scanning, hit details. This will give you the 1Z. Memorize the last four, enter the stop, hit scan, Find BC, type in last 4, hit enter, complete stop.

I would have chosen Option A and delivered the pkg right there. If asked I would have explained the back first exception. Customer service supercedes satisfying a metric.

Oh good grief, just stop where the customer is, deliver the package, go to the turn around, and proceed to finish your route knowing you have done a good job.

tranham

And keep in mind that the correct answer is only valid until the PCM where they say "people have been abusing the system, you are now banned from using the FIND BC button".

tranham

Oh good grief, just stop where the customer is, deliver the package, go to the turn around, and proceed to finish your route knowing you have done a good job.

No, no. Its not about doing a good job, Its about staying off the report the next day.

Robert

40 and out

No telematics here yet but I dont see it being a problem for me when it arrives. Only thing I will have to change is not reaching over and grabbing the diad while driving.

You can grab the diad all you want, scroll through your stops all day long,do anything else on the diad except you cannot scan a package that is in edd.

browniehound

First of all, the pickup with the NO UPS sign is not getting the service that they deserve. The weekly charge for a daily P/U is $20 and if this were my business and I were paying $20/week for a service I would expect much more than a drive by pickup. When I first started on my current area I had one of these. I told them they could put the sign away as they would no longer need it as I would be stopping every day. The reason I don't let my pickups use signs is I got burned on one of these signs when I was a new driver. I had a pickup stop put the sign out, I drove by, they then had a package going out and took the sign down. They called a concern in when I failed to make their pickup. My excuse of "they put the sign out" fell on deaf ears, as it should have. You are right in that telematics will gig you for completing the pickup stop while you are driving by i

Upstate, I could't agree with you more about "flag" or "drive by" pick-ups or whatever you want to call them. How many times have I been burned by these "flag" pick-ups? Too many. There is just too much room for mis-communication with these set ups. The shipper forgets to put up the sign or the shipper is absent for the day and his replacement doesn't know to put up the sign, etc.

To echo Upstates comments, the customer pays for the service so we owe it to give it to them. On the other side, its OUR JOB to stop and make customer contact. Its what we as drivers are paid to do and we get paid by the hour so why not stop? I've been around too long to understand "flag" pick-ups are convienent if you don't have to stop and can boost your pick-up log if you get stuck running behind. Still,its not doing the right thing.

Perhaps if I was in danger of missing commits on my other pick-ups I would drive by a "flag" pick-up or call some customers.

This is another phenonema I don't get: calling pick-ups to see if a pick-up is necessary. Again, we get paid by the hour so why not just go by? Its a part of your day that UPS gives you time allowances for so why not use it? Also, your wasting your minutes. If you call 3 pick-ups 20 times a month, thats at least 60 minutes you are wasting. Its like you are componding the issue because you are losing money by not taking the time to drive to the pick-up and then you are paying cell phone minutes to save you from going by the pick-up and earning money.

I don't get it?