Telematics Discipline?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I drove a rural route, and I told my center manager that bears did it in the woods, and so do I. The only time I would break that is if I just couldn't find a spot safe enough, I would spread a double rain bag out over an upside down handtruck, and take care of business in the back of the package car, makeing sure I deposed of properly.

If you are willing to do that, good for you.

I'm not.

Basic hygiene and respect for the customers who will be handling our DIAD throughout the day requires us to wash our hands after relieving ourselves.

All this nonsense was never an issue before Telematics was implemented. Rural drivers planned ahead, did what they could to balance the needs of the company with the needs of their bladder, and basically used common sense to keep miles and off trace travel to a minimum.

That isnt good enough for the company any more. It is now the position of the company that the area trace is basically a chain that you are bound to whenever you are on the clock, and that trace cannot be broken for any reason without coding the time out as break or lunch....even when the reason for doing so is because you have worked as instructed and thus found yourself in an area with no basic services at your designated break or lunch time.

The idea that a driver should be compelled to relieve himself in the back of a package car due to a company policy is ridiculous.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Years ago we had a guy who took a dump in the back of the package car and left it there for the car wash. The company fired him of course, though he later got his job back. Now they would probably praise him for not breaking trace.

soberups

Years ago we had a guy who took a dump in the back of the package car and left it there for the car wash. The company fired him of course, though he later got his job back. Now they would probably praise him for not breaking trace.

No, they would try to fire him...for improper "driver release" methods.:biting:

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I think I would quit if we had dashboard cams. I don't care if it is their property I am driving or their time I am on, I will not subject myself to that extreme amount of supervision.

I despise micro-management. Cameras are the ulimate expression of it. Basically it says "we cannot trust you and because of that we also cannot judge your performance based on the results you provide us".

On a related note: some people might feel more secure in this world with cameras looking at our every move but I feel the opposite. The more we allow the world to intrude on our lives the more they will demand it.

soberups

Ok, now I'm curious about something....

Hypothetical situation; driver has already used up his lunch and breaks, is out on area where no public restrooms are available, and he's gotta go. So instead of breaking trace, costing UPS some money and creating a Telematics issue, he decides to be a good loyal employee by whipping out some DR bags and taking his dump in the back of the package car.

Now lets say that our driver slips and falls and injures himself in the back of the package car while taking his dump. Since he isnt off the clock...would this be a work-related injury? How would the injury be reported? And what part of the 10 point commentary or the 8 Keys to Avoiding Slips and Falls would apply to this particular injury? Would the Safety Committee come up with a new acronym for us to memorize in order to help us avoid this injury and stay safe while pooping? And would this become part of the Keter audit?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Wouldn't that be considered a P/U though ?
It's take a s..t :wink2:
Yes, it is called that but it is a misnomer, much like saying a horse pulls a wagon when in fact they are pushing.

Or as George Carlin once said, "You can take a **** if you want, I'm LEAVING one.

tae111

I'm not sure if its true but one of the package division managers here said the telematics program is over. So if you don't have it yet you might not be getting it.

klein

Für Meno :)

Idiot, he should have gotten a saleslead out of it.
Take it to the next customer and ask: "What can Brown do for You ? " :whiteflag:

NHDRVR

The current contract does not allow (sorry, I'm laughing) discipline from electronic data.

It hasn't happened in our building under the 'telematics' heading but who's fooling who.

They use it to decide who to follow and progress from there.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The current contract does not allow (sorry, I'm laughing) discipline from electronic data.

It hasn't happened in our building under the 'telematics' heading but who's fooling who.

They use it to decide who to follow and progress from there.
That's not actually what it says, unless you have additional language in your supplement. Per the NMA, the only thing that UPS is prohibited from disciplining you for using electronic information is exceeding your break time. With the GPS, they are prohibited from firing you for a first offense except in cases of dishonesty. Once they give you a warning letter for that first offense, all options are open.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If you break trace to use a bathroom on a break and are in the office the next day being scorned and reprimanded, the next time you need to use the bathroom , dial 911 and have an ambulance come get you and bring you to the emergency room because you are having issues with your kidneys. Make it right around 10am.

Even better do it in the office while getting in trouble, tell them you did not want to leave the office and interupt him!!

BrassBalls

Stand Up For Your Rights.
W.T.friend.
You guys should be ashamed of yourselfs. Why would you piss in a bottle? Are you any different than management? Does you manager take a piss bottlre out of his desk?
YOu need to use the restroom......Go use it.....Lets see them fire you for having to relieve yourself.
One of mgmt biggest attacks on us drivers is the "SCARE TACTICS And mind symantics" If they ask you about it..Simply tell them the truth....You are human and you had to relief yourself!
What would an arbitrator rule on a driver leaving route to take ******??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
W.T.friend.
You guys should be ashamed of yourselfs. Why would you piss in a bottle? Are you any different than management? Does you manager take a piss bottlre out of his desk?
YOu need to use the restroom......Go use it.....Lets see them fire you for having to relieve yourself.
One of mgmt biggest attacks on us drivers is the "SCARE TACTICS And mind symantics" If they ask you about it..Simply tell them the truth....You are human and you had to relief yourself!

absolutely right!!!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I'm not sure if its true but one of the package division managers here said the telematics program is over. So if you don't have it yet you might not be getting it.
oh really??? anyone else heard this??

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
W.T.friend.
i urinate in a bottle about 10 times a day,, easy,, go into the back of the truck, go into the bottle,, done in about 50 seconds,, really a silly thing to get upset about.. i would not want to waste hrs a day looking for public restrooms just to show them...