Telematics-the reality

Omega man

In this final phase of Telematics....you will be questioned and issued a warning letter for "failure to properly record breaks" if there is so much as a 90 second discrepancy between the time you record your break and the time that Telematics shows you "breaking trace" to drive to a suitable location for that break.

I Telematics is about increasing production by allowing a supervisor to micromanage every moment of a drvers day from behind the comfort of a desk.

I hope everyone understands that it is a DOT violation for UPS to force us to operate our vehicles on part of our lunch hour, even if for only a few minutes. "Breaking trace" would include some amount of driving to and from a lunch location. UPS is logging us "off duty" for the whole hour (our DIAD is our log). Our meal period should start and end at our lunch location, not somewhere on our route, like our last stop. Federal Law also prevents an employer from forcing anyone to perform any part of his or her job (driving) while on lunch. See Fair Labor Standards Act. UPS is simply trying to steal part of our lunch from us. If you are disciplined for this, file a complaint with the DOT and watch UPS get fined.

bluehdmc

Someone has to say it:

Glad I'm in Feeders and don't have to deal with this nonsense.

I was told of a manager in feeders, (area shall remain nameless), that would check when drivers punched out for meal on the IVIS, if the tractor stopped at 10:58 and driver waited till 11:00 to go on "other activities" they were questioned about it.
Funny they never question when you go off meal after 58 mins.

raceanoncr

I was told of a manager in feeders, (area shall remain nameless), that would check when drivers punched out for meal on the IVIS, if the tractor stopped at 10:58 and driver waited till 11:00 to go on "other activities" they were questioned about it.

Geez, this is a no-brainer. Manager should realize that everytime you stop you tractor and get out, it's a "walk-around", isn't it? Well, it is for me and that's company time before punching out for M.

spif91

What type of new equipment? Ivis? Can u give me more detail? Our feeder mechanics have said they had heard of something new coming......

outamyway

i agree with you, its stupid...i use to just ignore it, but they keep pushign and pushing for these ridiculous policies (must use a dolly on anything over 10 lbs) things like that, i just follow the rules to a certain extent

some things i just refuse to do, unless management is watching

for example last week i had a delivery liftgate required, well the company refused to pay the liftgate fee which is like $30 so i was instructed to break down these 2 skids and unload them by hand

now i have a liftgate and a pallet jack, do you really think im going to unload them by hand when i dont have to???? i told the guy you get a freeby today, and this isnt the first time ive done it

***!!!<--------WTH is that???

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
i agree about increasing productivity...the rest is your opinion.

Soberups post is accurate to a T.

Telematics came in at the beginning of February and the same implementation process was used. The same harassment is being used. The biggest one is the 1 minute over on your lunch break. If that truck was not moving for 61 minutes, if you are in their radar, you are in the office the next morning.

I still havn't heard one mechanic tell me that Telematics saved a breakdown from occuring. Which was the "major" reason it was installed.

Overpaid Union Thug

Telematics seems to be going through the same process that the use of barcodes, ring scanners, tracking numbers, any other new technological breakthroughs went through. At first they were all used for customers and for UPS to have "visibility" of their shipments. Then management discovered that these abilities could be used as a way to monitor production and their "numbers" for personal and competitive reasons. Then they also started using them as a way to try and discipline the employees that screw up their numbers. It will be the same result with telematics. UPS sure knows how to exploit technology.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I hope everyone understands that it is a DOT violation for UPS to force us to operate our vehicles on part of our lunch hour, even if for only a few minutes. "Breaking trace" would include some amount of driving to and from a lunch location. UPS is logging us "off duty" for the whole hour (our DIAD is our log). Our meal period should start and end at our lunch location, not somewhere on our route, like our last stop....

UPS's response to this in my area has been to say that we are no longer allowed to break trace on the clock for any reason and that if this is a problem for drivers they should start bringing their lunch instead of using the truck to drive to a restraunt. Drivers in rural areas are allowed to drive no more than one mile off trace for lunch/breaks and this must occur on the drivers time, not while on the clock.

We are going to be fighting this, on the grounds that drivers in rural areas who follow the company trace and service expectations (NDA by 1030, NDA saver by 3, no business attempts between 12 and 1 etc.) and are therefore not in a suitable location to take lunch or breaks should not in most cases be required to drive to one off of the clock. A reasonable definition of "suitable location" would be one with legal parking and a public restoom.

As far as the issue of liability for operating the vehicle off the clock, we do not enter our lunch or break periods until after we complete them. Therefore, a driver who operates a vehicle is always assumed to be "on the clock" in case of an accident, he isnt going to enter his lunch or break until after the fact.

The sad part about all of this is that the energy and effort being spent to micromanage every moment of the drivers day could be better spent on improving service and growing the business.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Soberups post is accurate to a T.

Telematics came in at the beginning of February and the same implementation process was used. The same harassment is being used. The biggest one is the 1 minute over on your lunch break. If that truck was not moving for 61 minutes, if you are in their radar, you are in the office the next morning.

I still havn't heard one mechanic tell me that Telematics saved a breakdown from occuring. Which was the "major" reason it was installed.

I have heard that center manager have been using mechanics as a middleman in cases of investigations into employees. Makes sense. I'll let that mechanic speak for themselves on that issue though and not put words in their mouth.

bluehdmc

What type of new equipment? Ivis? Can u give me more detail? Our feeder mechanics have said they had heard of something new coming......

I saw a Harrisburg tractor that had a new kind of IVIS, it had the keyboard and a touch screen. No smart card though. He said when he punched in at work they had a similar screen at dispatch, just put his # in and punched in, then would punch into tractor. Tractor has an antenna which communicates with center. He wasn't sure of the range, it DOES not have GPS though, although I guess if whatever protocol is used for the communication with the unit is some sort of wireless techology gps could be possible. Similar to the IVIS it just records the information and downloads it automatically when he gets back within range. As he was showing it to me it showed an option for shiftcom, I guess it could be used for tractor moves. He said it was a little slower entering info than the IVIS. Also the IVIS can't be used when driving, (basically it freezes until you're doing less than 2mph), he said that this one if brushed up against, like with your lunch box would change the info. If I recall he said they weren't going to get anymore, maybe it was a failed experiment.

I was told by a sup a couple of years ago that they were gonna use something similar to a qualcomm that had 2 way communications. If they wanted you to do an extra pickup or something like that, maybe this is the predecessor of that. They have qualcomm in the Sleeper cabs, can track you across the country.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I hope everyone understands that it is a DOT violation for UPS to force us to operate our vehicles on part of our lunch hour, even if for only a few minutes. "Breaking trace" would include some amount of driving to and from a lunch location. UPS is logging us "off duty" for the whole hour (our DIAD is our log). Our meal period should start and end at our lunch location, not somewhere on our route, like our last stop. Federal Law also prevents an employer from forcing anyone to perform any part of his or her job (driving) while on lunch. See Fair Labor Standards Act. UPS is simply trying to steal part of our lunch from us. If you are disciplined for this, file a complaint with the DOT and watch UPS get fined.

Right on the money!

UPS's response to this in my area has been to say that we are no longer allowed to break trace on the clock for any reason and that if this is a problem for drivers they should start bringing their lunch instead of using the truck to drive to a restraunt. Drivers in rural areas are allowed to drive no more than one mile off trace for lunch/breaks and this must occur on the drivers time, not while on the clock.

We are going to be fighting this, on the grounds that drivers in rural areas who follow the company trace and service expectations (NDA by 1030, NDA saver by 3, no business attempts between 12 and 1 etc.) and are therefore not in a suitable location to take lunch or breaks should not in most cases be required to drive to one off of the clock. A reasonable definition of "suitable location" would be one with legal parking and a public restoom.

As far as the issue of liability for operating the vehicle off the clock, we do not enter our lunch or break periods until after we complete them. Therefore, a driver who operates a vehicle is always assumed to be "on the clock" in case of an accident, he isnt going to enter his lunch or break until after the fact.

The sad part about all of this is that the energy and effort being spent to micromanage every moment of the drivers day could be better spent on improving service and growing the business.
Give em hell sober!

I cant wait to peak!

trouble maker

They are putting new systems in tractors in my area. Gee better chance to micromanage?
We don't have the new ivis here yet, but I did see one in a PA drivers tractor about a month ago. They have a touch screen and GPS. They can pull you up at anytime and check where you are and the speed that your traveling.

W

westsideworma

how many drivers could be put back out on the road to alleviate the overtime issues and in turn supply better service to the customer (if utilized properly) with the money used on this system? I also never truly believed it was to prevent breakdowns as I'm sure many others who've worked here a little bit didn't either.

There are some things this company does that I agree with and some that leave me scratching my head. This is middleground. I agree with the seatbelt part as it is a company vehicle and I don't know if someone could possibly try to hold the company responsible for it should something happen. Not to mention its the right thing to do (wear your seatbelt). I know its not the best seatbelt that could be used (3 point) but at least its a seatbelt. Hell perhaps money would be better spent retrofitting the package cars with those instead of this telematics business.

Like someone mentioned a while back, all it takes is one overzealous person to take a good, well meaning system and abuse it.

Bad Gas!

Just wait,your turns coming. Deskomatics will make sure every phone call is for lead follow ups,pen usage is within company specs,you lift your butt while farting to prevent damage to company chairs,Chapstick is used to prevent chaffing during meetings with customers and superiors,etc.

LOL...In yo face!