Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

Re-Raise

It is truly amazing how they seem to want to micromanage every detail of my job and disregard my own ability to think.

More useless reports to print out ...... but we did save a lot of paper with the new calenders this year.

BigBrownSanta

So with this new system, if you pul over and leave car running while you are sorting pkgs with the heat on that is now on a report!! there will be lots of guys on that report in very cold areas !!

We've already had a driver get a warning letter for doing just that and we're not even on the telematics system yet.

pretzel_man

Don't you drive a desk? You don't have the first clue about our "problems."

Its interesting that rather than attack my thoughts and logic, you choose to attack me.

I've been at UPS 33+ years. I've worked in many operations, districts and a couple of regions. I speak with drivers many, many times per week, and I listen to their problems. The vast majority are absolutely outstanding with great insight.

I cannot do your job as well as you.

But I do know my job, and I know it well. As Casey preached, I tell the truth and my actions follow my words.

Its your choice whether you do anything with the information I provide.

P-Man

helenofcalifornia

Pretzel, I for one have learned to recognize your comments as the closest thing to what Atlanta may be thinking. Off this subject, but why does Atlanta drop the ball on sales leads?

You may answer in the sales lead thread, but I know I have your attention here which is why I ask the question here.

UPS really drops the ball on sales leads and tries to guilt trip the driver. Give the driver a 1-800 number we could call at the first sign our sales lead is in trouble so Atlanta would know and possible react. Sales leads, for the most part are a joke.

Back to telemetrics. I hate shutting my bulkhead door while delivering rezzies. Guess those days are gone.

pretzel_man

pretzel_man

Pretzel, I for one have learned to recognize your comments as the closest thing to what Atlanta may be thinking. Off this subject, but why does Atlanta drop the ball on sales leads?

You may answer in the sales lead thread, but I know I have your attention here which is why I ask the question here.

UPS really drops the ball on sales leads and tries to guilt trip the driver. Give the driver a 1-800 number we could call at the first sign our sales lead is in trouble so Atlanta would know and possible react. Sales leads, for the most part are a joke.

Back to telemetrics. I hate shutting my bulkhead door while delivering rezzies. Guess those days are gone.

Hello,

I didn't respond to the sales lead thread because I didn't think I could add anything useful.

From my perspective, our sales lead system is broken and broken big. I've heard this discussed many times, and have yet to see a good solution.

I think it starts at exactly what you said. Drivers are pushed hard to put in sales leads. Then BD is buried with leads (some are good ones, some are poor). They have a problem weeding through them efficiently, so they are poorly handled.

The driver and customer BOTH then get upset. Its a very poor cycle.

BTW, I don't work in Atlanta. I just relay here what they tell me in meetings and what friends who work in corporate discuss with me.

I personally thing your idea of an 800 number for a driver to call (or web site), when a lead is in trouble is the best idea I've heard to date.

I'm sorry I could not be of more help, but I will pass your idea along.

P-Man

barnyard

KTM rider
thats ridiculous, it really is

basically means every single second in your package car your actions will be recorded

whats next, cameras?

Why is it ridiculous?????

We have rules that we are paid to follow. Shouldn't someone be fired for not following the rules that they are being paid to follow????

TB

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
P man... I didn't think I was attacking you personally. However, you did rattle on about all the things a driver should do yet you've never driven in your 33 yrs with the company. I agree all pkg car drivers should do everything you listed. However, at the end of my day when I've already opened the bulkhead door 100 times I will "ride" with it open in a residential area when the car is never out of my sight. It saves me turning that key and opening that door at least 40 times a day, 200 times a week etc.. can you say carpal tunnel?

rod

Retired 22 years
Then what I did for years on bitterly cold days- let the package car run ALL day long -was wrong? I'm sorry. ----- Now I can picture a center manager glancing at his computer screen and as he gets ready to sent his driver a message to shut off his package car he reaches over and turns up his thermostat a couple more degrees. What a joke.

barnyard

KTM rider
We just had a week of below zero weather. I dressed for it and was comfortable all day. Shut the car off at every stop and for in town deliveries, left the side door open.

We work primarily outdoors, having the clothes for it is part of the job.

TB

City Driver

Why is it ridiculous?????

We have rules that we are paid to follow. Shouldn't someone be fired for not following the rules that they are being paid to follow????

TB

i understand everybody should follow rules, but rules are meant to be broken.....like the whole bulkhead door thing, if you are in a neighborhood that has 15 deliveries, you are really expected to close the bulkhead door each and every time? stupid if you ask me and they wont install three point seat belts or power steering in many package cars but they will do this?

theres not many jobs where you are literally monitored every single second you are on the clock....this is a waste of money

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Wear your seat belt.
Close the bulkhead door
Don't leave your engine idling during deliveries.
Don't record in your DIAD while driving.
Don't back excessively (especially in residential neighborhoods)
Don't go off area for lunch
Take your full lunch period (no more, no less)
Don't speed

So, what's the problem??

P-Man

im hoping for the cameras soon, if they want to check me out pissing in the back of the truck so be it. I might even give it a little extra shake for them!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
i understand everybody should follow rules, but rules are meant to be broken.....like the whole bulkhead door thing, if you are in a neighborhood that has 15 deliveries, you are really expected to close the bulkhead door each and every time? stupid if you ask me and they wont install three point seat belts or power steering in many package cars but they will do this?

theres not many jobs where you are literally monitored every single second you are on the clock....this is a waste of money

there have been accidents where the bulkhead door has been ripped half open in a head on accident, propably not in a resi area, but on the freeway.Its really for your own protection. And I never really understood why some drivers are so obsessed about keeping the door open, you dont save that much time. And how many of you have ever had the door open and had something slide out the back and out the side door, it happens!