Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
there have been accidents where the bulkhead door has been ripped half open in a head on accident, propably not in a resi area, but on the freeway.Its really for your own protection. And I never really understood why some drivers are so obsessed about keeping the door open, you dont save that much time. And how many of you have ever had the door open and had something slide out the back and out the side door, it happens!

When I'm doing resi areas at the end of the day, my truck is basically empty. The bulkhead door is basically a hinderance during the deliveries. What are we going 20 mph tops in these areas anyways. I agree with leaving it closed in commercial areas and driving higher speeds.

Don't give me the bull that closing the door between resi stops is a safety issue, unless you are in a low income neighborhood.

pretzel_man

P man... I didn't think I was attacking you personally. However, you did rattle on about all the things a driver should do yet you've never driven in your 33 yrs with the company. I agree all pkg car drivers should do everything you listed. However, at the end of my day when I've already opened the bulkhead door 100 times I will "ride" with it open in a residential area when the car is never out of my sight. It saves me turning that key and opening that door at least 40 times a day, 200 times a week etc.. can you say carpal tunnel?

Actually I did drive. I unloaded, sorted and loaded too.

These were all a very long time ago and not for a very long time.

P-Man

City Driver

Railroad employees are watched even closer and their rulebook is a hell of alot thicker.

just sayin....

TB

i never said nobodys watched constantly......some are but most arent, especially in a job where you are outside of the workplace and out in public like package car drivers

barnyard

KTM rider
Don't give me the bull that closing the door between resi stops is a safety issue, unless you are in a low income neighborhood.

Even if it is not for your safety, according to the Homeland Security Act, we have to keep our package cars secure because our cargo can go on airplanes. A guy in our center was warned because a DOT guy caught him while he was going to an airport to do some security checks.

We are paid to shut and open the door. Seems like an open and shut case.

TB

Coldworld

60 months and counting
When I'm doing resi areas at the end of the day, my truck is basically empty. The bulkhead door is basically a hinderance during the deliveries. What are we going 20 mph tops in these areas anyways. I agree with leaving it closed in commercial areas and driving higher speeds.

I hear ya'. But something I cant stand is the door continually SLAMMING shut when going around a corner or something, its just loud enough to get a little jumpy when it happens and it gives me a headache. I guess we could be like fedex and not be able to open the drivers door when the vehicle is moving, fedex corp is very serious about that and the drivers can be fired for it if seen.

barnyard

KTM rider
i never said nobodys watched constantly......some are but most arent, especially in a job where you are outside of the workplace and out in public like package car drivers

Isn't that exactly like a railroad employee???? Especially an engineer or conductor.

What about cops???

Having sensors that monitor my work is so far down the list of concerns that I have that I think about......

TB

pretzel_man

how long did you drive for p???

As I said, not very long. As I recall about 3 months. I knew it was so I could go into full tme management. It was supposed to be longer but they needed sups sooner. I had just received my degree.

I became scratch in my third month. I ran. Often skipped lunch. I wore my seatbelt. I didn't shut my bulkhead door or turn off the engine always.

Again, I never said I was an expert, but if they told me I had to shut off the engine and close the door, I would do it.

P-Man

Coldworld

60 months and counting
As I said, not very long. As I recall about 3 months. I knew it was so I could go into full tme management. It was supposed to be longer but they needed sups sooner. I had just received my degree.

I became scratch in my third month. I ran. Often skipped lunch. I wore my seatbelt. I didn't shut my bulkhead door or turn off the engine always.

Again, I never said I was an expert, but if they told me I had to shut off the engine and close the door, I would do it.

P-Man

I wasnt downing you, just wondering. Wish some of my mgt had your level head..you seem fair!

Hangingon

P-Man

I thought to qualify in the old days you had to hit scratch by the end of your first month? Guess you had a special arrangement.

So you did everything wrong trying to save time and barely made scratch with the old very liberal standards? Yet you wonder why some drivers feel compelled to cut corners with the new improved standards? Go see what the minimum on your old route is, bet it's more then your old maximum.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
If you take the time to do the research on the "whole system", you will find that the majority of the features are to prevent unneeded maintenance on vehicles, identify areas of concern on a package car that might break down shortly, etc etc. Very little to do with package operations.

But it is that part that involves package that worries so many drivers.

As Pman posted, do your job by the book, and the data gathered on your day will be totally useless to UPS.

What will be of interest are those drivers that

1 refuse to wear their seat belts

2 refuse to shut the doors on the package cars

3 back for long distances, or the drivers that leave the car pulled in and have to back out when they get into the car again (believe it or not, lots of drivers do that every day)

4 Drivers that play games with delivery stops. Like those that claim a package was misloaded so they had to back track. But yet the diad and GPS show that you never went back out there a second time.

5 drivers that pre-record stops for completion later on. Or those that tear off a part of the bar code to scan it later on while they sit and take a break. Nothing says there is an integrity issue to ups than a driver completing 16 stops while the truck is parked at McDonalds between 1-2.

6 drivers falsifying delivery times on air stops that they have not delivered yet. Funny how you show four deliveries between 10:26 and 10:30, and your diad GPS shows something else.

And the list goes on and on. Some drivers have so much extra time, they spend all this time and energy thinking of ways to screw UPS. Seen it. and the examples and more above were represented by me when they lost their jobs.

As for the seat belt activation of the starter relay, all that does is say the seat belt is fastened, not that the driver is wearing it. You can buckle up your belt across the seat behind you to bypass that, and it will start every time, but yet you never wore your seat belt.

What you will see is this system used for behavior modification coaching on safety issues. And for those that do not change unsafe behavior, UPS will use an means at its disposal to correct or terminate those employees that refuse to make the proper adjustments.

It will also assist UPS in identifying those mis deliveries where driver error played a part. Already it helped recover a pistol that was delivered to the wrong address on another street. The driver swore he delivered it to the right address, but he was 5 streets over.

So for the drawbacks it might have for some drivers, it should have great savings to UPS in the long term.

d

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Even if it is not for your safety, according to the Homeland Security Act, we have to keep our package cars secure because our cargo can go on airplanes. A guy in our center was warned because a DOT guy caught him while he was going to an airport to do some security checks.

We are paid to shut and open the door. Seems like an open and shut case.

TB

he got lucky because I think dot can fine the driver on the spot, 10k to 50k, and ups wont pay for it, thats the responsibility of the driver. I know some want to keep the door open, I just never do it, never is a big deal to me. Although one day I was off on opt. and was in another nearby state and saw a driver at an apt complex leave the door wide open and leave the truck for 10 minutes...seems pretty stupid. Its one thing to leave it open while you have site of the car to and from vehicle, but to leave for an extended period of time is dangerous.

helenofcalifornia

P-Man, Hangingon has a good and valid point there. Not that you were trying to argue or anything. Too bad that the "old school" management people like you, UPSlifer, Chanahan and Hoaxer are either retired or nearing retirement. Thank God I am too! Too much to remember now.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Cold

I had to represent a driver that delivered a bank building while he left his car running. It was in june no less. He was out of the car for 36 minutes total.

Stupid people do stupid things all the time. Problem is that they give the rest of the drivers a bad name.

d

backinbrown

respect my authority
Cold

I had to represent a driver that delivered a bank building while he left his car running. It was in june no less. He was out of the car for 36 minutes total.

Stupid people do stupid things all the time. Problem is that they give the rest of the drivers a bad name.

d

I do not like to call people stupid but cmon 36 minutes truck running that's just wrong.

I hope bulkhead was closed not that it matters keys were there to open it.

What became of driver?:peaceful:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
He got his job back. It was one lf a great number of things he pulled as a driver.

Ultimately, like most others that want to make their point with UPS, he crossed the line last year by falsifying his mileage on the diad. About 50 miles a day for well over a month.

BTW, they did not find this out by following him, but instead by documenting the odometer reading every morning and night.

I guess that would/should be contested as violating the contract when it states that UPS can not use just technology to fire someone?:wink2:

These kinds of drivers either get with it, or self destruct. After 8 years with UPS, countless warning letters, well over a year of suspensions and promises to do better.......He now does landscaping.

d

backinbrown

respect my authority
He got his job back. It was one lf a great number of things he pulled as a driver.

Ultimately, like most others that want to make their point with UPS, he crossed the line last year by falsifying his mileage on the diad. About 50 miles a day for well over a month.

BTW, they did not find this out by following him, but instead by documenting the odometer reading every morning and night.

I guess that would/should be contested as violating the contract when it states that UPS can not use just technology to fire someone?:wink2:

These kinds of drivers either get with it, or self destruct. After 8 years with UPS, countless warning letters, well over a year of suspensions and promises to do better.......He now does landscaping.

d

8 Year's then off to landscape, all he had to do was follow methods.

landscaping back breaking work, less pay,

I'd be bummed out,

I really love my job, sometimes i want to cry looking in back of truck but at end of the day i am thankful and proud to work here.

I would be devastated if i lost my job because of my own stupidity.

leastbest

LeastBest
The biggest problem is that the information will be used in a discriminatory way. I've been harassed a great deal and seen in done. If they don't like you or if you don't run their numbers they will look for anything they can to harass you.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Least

So then what has changed? Nothing. The ones that have been picked on before continue to get picked on. Nothing new. It can last for years and years. Sometimes even 33 or more.

d