Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

When I'm doing resi areas at the end of the day, my truck is basically empty. The bulkhead door is basically a hinderance during the deliveries. What are we going 20 mph tops in these areas anyways. I agree with leaving it closed in commercial areas and driving higher speeds.

Don't give me the bull that closing the door between resi stops is a safety issue, unless you are in a low income neighborhood.

You should be fired for leaving the bulkhead door open...You are instructed to keep it closed.

They are wiring the trucks up in our building for the first time now, so this is new issue for us. Sorry if it's old news for you. You guys are kind of rough over here, makes a guy want to take Browncafe out of his favorites.
You're right we are a little rough sometimes. I apologize for my part in that.

Hangingon

Out of curiosity, if they use these reports to decide who will get the observations can you then look at the full centers report to verify that everyone who has the same number or more discrepancies also had observations done?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Out of curiosity, if they use these reports to decide who will get the observations can you then look at the full centers report to verify that everyone who has the same number or more discrepancies also had observations done?

That was my point in an earlier post.

They could go find the Steward who works 99% safely and catch him during that 1% he doesn't. They can actually ignore (for the most part) the run and gun cover driver because their numbers are to their liking.

This opens up a large can of worms. Payback against the union wont be in the center manager's office. It will be wherever/whenever they want you out, they will find it.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
drivers that pre-record stops for completion later on. Or those that tear off a part of the bar code to scan it later on while they sit and take a break. Nothing says there is an integrity issue to ups than a driver completing 16 stops while the truck is parked at McDonalds between 1-2.
We have a driver that does this. Then skips out early saying they took their lunch when they really didn't!
It will also assist UPS in identifying those mis deliveries where driver error played a part. Already it helped recover a pistol that was delivered to the wrong address on another street. The driver swore he delivered it to the right address, but he was 5 streets over.
They must not have had PAS?
So for the drawbacks it might have for some drivers, it should have great savings to UPS in the long term.

d

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you take the time to do the research on the "whole system", you will find that the majority of the features are to prevent unneeded maintenance on vehicles, identify areas of concern on a package car that might break down shortly, etc etc. Very little to do with package operations.

Dan

You know I respect your posts and we have interacted very well in this forum. Don't you slightly agree that this new era of telemantics will topple the union to its knees? Meaning the door has been opened and made easier for pinpoint firings at people they don't care for.

We have all bent rules to get our jobs done. Management bends numbers around to fit their liking. It seems that UPS can now control who gets fired and who doesn't. The union will have no shot at getting a driver back after the stages of discipline. This is the holy grail that managers for the past 40 years have been waiting for.

Am I saying that this will happen all over the country? no But where you have heavy union labor issues, they can easily sweep and knock them all out. The possibilities are there with this door open. What is your take ?

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
We have a driver that does this. Then skips out early saying they took their lunch when they really didn't!

And if he claims a code 5, that is stealing time. They will catch him and they will fire him. And rightfully so. Maybe the steward will get lucky and get his job back, maybe not.

d

backinbrown

respect my authority
And if he claims a code 5, that is stealing time. They will catch him and they will fire him. And rightfully so. Maybe the steward will get lucky and get his job back, maybe not.

d

In the center that PD-OVER is talking about they know he doesnt take lunch

there is more than one and management knows who they are

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It sounds like to me they ought to clean house. Starting with the managers. A driver stealing time, falsifying their delivery records, and managers that have knowledge that fact.......fire em all.

d

barnyard

KTM rider
There is a whole nother area that was kind of skimmed over, but is also important and that is people that sheet NDA on time, but deliver late.

My wife works at a multi-million dollar UPS account. She regularly ships NDAs that when tracked, show on time delivery or Clo1 or NSN. Then the same package will show a 11a or later delivery or she will call the reciever and a package that is shown as delivered, is not.

The business that is recieving the packages, bases that day's production (guaranteed for same day shipping) on what is recieved by 10:30a.

In my wife's case, she is filing a claim for a service failure and the GPS is able to prove driver fraud.

Should the driver be fired?????

His/her dishonesty could cost the company an account that ships 2-6 trailers a day when it is slow, 12-20 when they are busy.

TB

backinbrown

respect my authority
Because these drivers run and gun make numbers it's ok i guess

i should say that i have heard them discipline this

and i can say with all truthfullness that i wittnessed a driver say he did not take lunch and he was leaving and the sup told driver he would punch him out'

SmithBarney

I guess we could be like fedex and not be able to open the drivers door when the vehicle is moving, fedex corp is very serious about that and the drivers can be fired for it if seen.

Yes kinda sucks, it was a tough rule to get use to, but now I have A/C I can live with the door shut, heck I'll even close the pass door too.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There is a whole nother area that was kind of skimmed over, but is also important and that is people that sheet NDA on time, but deliver late.

My wife works at a multi-million dollar UPS account. She regularly ships NDAs that when tracked, show on time delivery or Clo1 or NSN. Then the same package will show a 11a or later delivery or she will call the reciever and a package that is shown as delivered, is not.

The business that is recieving the packages, bases that day's production (guaranteed for same day shipping) on what is recieved by 10:30a.

In my wife's case, she is filing a claim for a service failure and the GPS is able to prove driver fraud.

Should the driver be fired?????

His/her dishonesty could cost the company an account that ships 2-6 trailers a day when it is slow, 12-20 when they are busy.

TB
We had a driver, that would have gotten away with doing that here. (In fact many do get away with it.) This particular driver transfered to a large center and we had heard within a month of his transfer, that he was terminated for doing exactly this sort of thing. Never did hear if he got his job back.

barnyard

KTM rider
We had a driver, that would have gotten away with doing that here. (In fact many do get away with it.) This particular driver transfered to a large center and we had heard within a month of his transfer, that he was terminated for doing exactly this sort of thing. Never did hear if he got his job back.

I suspect that they driver doing it got his job back. My wife said that things were fine for a while, but it has happened again in the past couple of weeks.

Time to light a fire under the sales rep again....

TB

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Barnyard

I am sorry to have skimmed over the subject.

It is a real problem. And it has many facets. One of which is a driver without integrity, or one that will allow management to manipulate that integrity.

Many times the driver leaves the building with more air than they possibly can deliver. It is up to the driver to make management aware of that issue. Get the monkey off their back to where it belongs.

But too many times management wants the driver to bust butt and get it done. Be a team player. And most drivers fall for that type of crap. What management is actually telling the driver is that as long as you dont get caught delivering late air, you dont really have late air.

Much like some criminals dont think they have committed a crime unless they get caught and jailed.

And it is that driver that sometimes gets caught up doing things that normally they wouldnt. And it has gotten more than one fired. To my knowledge, not one manager has been fired in this "game" of delivery times.

It is a very serious issue. One that involves the very integrity of UPS and its delivery promise.

d

barnyard

KTM rider
It is a very serious issue. One that involves the very integrity of UPS and its delivery promise.

That is my point.

I see it happening in my area. We are told when the Diad records the time (it is when the package is scanned, not when the 'stop complete' button is hit.) It has not happened recently, but in the past, we have been told to sheet packages while on route.

The only way to break managers of the 'over-loading' habit is going to be either to sheet air as late or break trace earlier and take longer to do routes.

Using 'work-a-rounds' will only cost us customers.

TB