Telematics-Whats the REAL reason?

ChadBrunn

We have had it at our Center for most of the year. It doesn't bother me one bit. If you were already doing your job to begin with then there is nothing to be worried about. They can't fire you for anything wrong in Telematics but they sure will start following you for something wrong.

kingOFchester

No problem here with Tell-on-me-atics. Do your job, work as directed, follow methods and obey traffic control devices and it should be a non issue. If I was running a company and my most important link in my service were employees out in the streets with no real supervision, I would want as much information on their doings as I could get. I know everyone here at BC are honest, but the truth is there are employees at UPS, sups, managers and hourlies thaat are not honest.

barnyard

KTM rider
The irritating thing I have seen in my center was a driver being pulled aside and being told he was over-allowed on certain stops. They went back, looked at the trace and they were stops that had long driveways that the driver walked off because we had been instructed to stay out of residential driveways.

We also had other drivers that were taking phone calls and not punching out for break. No problem says you???? 15 minute phone calls, while parked should be break time.

The biggest surprise to me is that UPS buys telematics from another company. I am not positive, but I would imagine that also means that every center that is using telematics has to buy for the license out of savings from what Tmatics finds.

TheDick

Hey guys just remember the phrase "I dont recall" when they ask you aboot the telematics reports minutiae in ur DIAD and in ur cars.
That is i guess unless ur that guy who drives 5miles off area for no good reason.

HULKAMANIA

Ok just curious how many of you guys would and have run at least 5 mph over the speed limit on your air run? When you have 20 air stops to get off in X amount of time you HAVE to do something to keep from being called in the next day and being told your terminated over a late air. I know most of you will say its dispatch and you need to tell your on car before you go out if you are to heavy in air. We have done that before and we get told the same thing EVERYTIME-YOU HAVE AN HOUR. So thats like talking to a freakin tree whats the point?

Enjoy telematics and the fact they can't discipline you over it right now. 2013 and the new contract will change all that! Don't think for one minute this wasnt created and designed to be used as another disciplinary tool. You can follow as many methods as you'd like during the course of your day,but bet your ass that ONE stop that took you 8 minutes to deliver will be called into question every single time,no matter what reason you have.
We have had telematics now for over a year and it hasnt been an issue to me personally. I spent the first three months or so thinking about every breath I took,worrying about every red light I hit,every c.o.d.that took too long,every elevator I had to wait 5 minutes for,and every extra minute it took me to find that package loaded in the wrong spot. And now I can honestly say,I don't give a damn about that stuff or telematics. Obey the speed limits,close your bulkhead door,wear your seatbelt ever single time,hold your handrail in and out of the truck,don't idle,rarely back you are doing what you are supposed to do. Don't let telematics get in your head,it's just another tool for UPS to generate another 200 reports and kill a few more hundred thousand trees.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
They have spent millions on telematics. There is no going back now. I think it will end up eliminating on- cars eventually. They will only need a Center manager and a Dispatch manager.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
During my jobs at the various zoos, one thing sticks out that a zookeeper once told me.

Interesting thing about the apes, they are not nearly as smart as us zookeepers. BUt then they keep proving us wrong when they still find a way out of the cage we designed to be escape proof.

Give some of our "dumb truck drivers" some time, and you will find that telimatics will never keep a driver honest.

Telimatics, as Hoax so well put it, is upper managements attempt at total control. Funny thing is, they actually believe it. But the more they demand control, the less they actually have.

Shame And such a waste of energy. Both on their part, and that of all the employees they are trying to reduce to mind numbed robots.

d

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I never hear a word out of my supe concerning my telematics report but there is no doubt in my mind that things are being banked in my file for future reference.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i really dont understand the cost/ relative impact of this discipline tool,, really ate that many drivers going off area for lunch????? Are drivers so :censored2:ty that this needs to be justified to be? kind of depressing

hypocrisy

Banned
I thought it was created for comic relief because all I ever see is you Package Drivers pointing and laughing at the reports posted in the A.M.
I figured the daily WOR had just lost it's touch.

bumped

I don't mind it. I once had a person call a concern that I was speeding. I knew I wasn't, and basically hounded the on cars to look at the telematics. Let's face it management doesn't believe us anyways.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I don't mind it. I once had a person call a concern that I was speeding. I knew I wasn't, and basically hounded the on cars to look at the telematics. Let's face it management doesn't believe us anyways.

As far as i've been told they can't determine speed driven___YET

DSM515

They way I see it is I get paid 30+ a hour and the union dosnt recognize production numbers. Just do your job straight and it won't effect you. it's all about fuel, to save money. I drive a 2010 freightliner that I got with 300 miles on it. Before telamatics I was getting around 9mpg now it's up to 9.8mpg with the same miles driving. Im just more aware. Over idling it's all about saving money and being more efficient. kinda like my parents tell me when I was a kid "turn off the lights! you think money grows on trees?"

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
As far as i've been told they can't determine speed driven___YET

They know what your speed is! On my old route, I consistently ran around 1.5 hours over allowed. On morning I was called into the center manager office and presented with a stack of telematics reports showing that I was not driving the speed limit on my way to my area. It was about 35 miles to my first stop and was all highway, varying from 55 to 65 mph. Since this was rush hour and traffic was usually heavy, I explained to the center manager that I was doing my best to follow the 10 point commentary. Trying to keep a follow distance of 6 to 8 seconds was challenging! When someone switched lanes and pulled in front of me, I had to slow down significantly to establish the proper follow distance. On an interstate highway this happens repeatedly!
I asked him whether he wanted me to drive the speed limit or follow his safety drivel. Told him I can't do both and asked to be excused from his office. Subject never came up with me again!

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Telematics started out strictly as a automotive tool. The car would down load all events that happend during the day ie.. check eng lights, abs lights etc... . This would in turn upon arrivial to the building would notify automotive that there was a issue during the day and the mechanic would then have the recorded event in pending data.. ie what was happening during the event rpm, speed, throttle position, in turn this data would give us a starting place to help recreate the issue. The someone thought that since the automotive dept had already paid for the equipment then just a couple of million dollars more and add a few more sensors and the abortion was born.

C

chuchu

i really dont understand the cost/ relative impact of this discipline tool,, really ate that many drivers going off area for lunch????? Are drivers so :censored2:ty that this needs to be justified to be? kind of depressing
Our center just got a new pkg car in with what looks like a camera lens mounted beside the backup monitor. Anyone know anything about that item yet?