Telematics-Whats the REAL reason?

UPSGUY72

I learned something about telematics yesterday, that I did not know and had not heard anyone here mention. Our center manager told everyone, yesterday, to make sure their lunch and break times were entered and not to deliver during them as it red flags those stops. This was the best news I had heard. Of course, we all know that we have customers that will 'walk up' to get a pkg and it's not a big deal but we also have R&G's that work thru lunch and breaks. Maybe, just maybe, this will finally put an end to this problem (NOT HOLDING MY BREATHE).

IT's not a RED flag it just makes another list. UPS doesn't care if you run you lunch they only care that you put it in the board so the can't get sued if someone say that they aren't allowed to take there lunch USP is going to say well you put it in the board. If they where worried about you taking your lunch the board would shut off for an hour when you started it. Nothing will happen to these drivers that still skip there lunch even thought they put there time in the board it's saving UPS money and that is what telematics is suppose to do save the company money on insurance, time and fuel.

hembone

I learned something about telematics yesterday, that I did not know and had not heard anyone here mention. Our center manager told everyone, yesterday, to make sure their lunch and break times were entered and not to deliver during them as it red flags those stops. This was the best news I had heard. Of course, we all know that we have customers that will 'walk up' to get a pkg and it's not a big deal but we also have R&G's that work thru lunch and breaks. Maybe, just maybe, this will finally put an end to this problem (NOT HOLDING MY BREATHE).
They told us the same thing and I thought the same thing you did. Nothing changed. upsguy72 is right.

browned out

Management states vegimatics is mainly for safety and fuel savings. Some how the virtual OJS are done almost exlusivly on drivers that run over. Other drivers show up on the report for seat belt violations, recording in travel, recording while idling and are not subject to these virtual OJS. So UPS has all this info at hand and does nothing about it until one of these obvious safety violators gets in a crash. There will be an O in your standards sheet if you received a virtual OJS.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am glad that our DIADS dont "lock us out" during lunch because I do frequently have customers come up to me while I am eating lunch and ask for their package, particularly when it is a signature required send-again. There is an injured Iraqi war vet on my route who gets his meds thru the VA and they come NDA sig required. If I miss him on the first attempt, he often comes to where I eat lunch so that he can get it and I would feel like a real ass if I had to tell him that I couldnt give him his package until my lunch break was over. The 2 minutes or so that I spend walking out to the truck and getting his package just gets added on to the end of my lunch, so its not like I am working off of the clock. I could care less if I get "flagged" for this or not.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In my short stay at UPS telematics has saved my @$$.

I too have been vindicated by a Telematics report. A FedEx truck tore up a guys lawn one day when I also had a package for that address, so there was no way for the customer to know which one of us had done the damage when he called in the complaint. Telematics showed that I parked on the street and walked the stop off and did not back into that driveway.

yeldarb

I was taking a lunch/break together and had a division level manager thinking I was sitting too long, so they pulled up my telematics and saw that I was spot on. If your doing your job correctly, You will most likely appreciate it. Drivers that run and gun and sit for 2 hours waiting for pickups wont like it at all.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
yeah, it saved my life, or a big bag of money, showing I was sitting right outside of where a delivered a set of tires to a woman on the porch. Other than that Ive heard nothing.

hembone

I am glad that our DIADS dont "lock us out" during lunch because I do frequently have customers come up to me while I am eating lunch and ask for their package, particularly when it is a signature required send-again. There is an injured Iraqi war vet on my route who gets his meds thru the VA and they come NDA sig required. If I miss him on the first attempt, he often comes to where I eat lunch so that he can get it and I would feel like a real ass if I had to tell him that I couldnt give him his package until my lunch break was over. The 2 minutes or so that I spend walking out to the truck and getting his package just gets added on to the end of my lunch, so its not like I am working off of the clock. I could care less if I get "flagged" for this or not.
Absoulutely. I would do the same thing. The point is for the ones who take no lunch and deliver. For the sticklers you could always clock back in for the minute or two and give the guy his package, then go back on lunch.

bbsam

Staff member
I too have been vindicated by a Telematics report. A FedEx truck tore up a guys lawn one day when I also had a package for that address, so there was no way for the customer to know which one of us had done the damage when he called in the complaint. Telematics showed that I parked on the street and walked the stop off and did not back into that driveway.
I can't begin to tell you how glad I am to know this. Exact same scenario on Friday. Nasty little snow storm hit. Came to a stop with a quarter-mile uphill drive. No way was I making it up that. Somebody had tried and the duallie tires had slipped off both sides of the drive and torn up the lawn. Status coded the package as a weather exemption. Now if there is a call asking if I tore up the lawn getting turned around (which I did not, backed down to neighbor's drive) I can say, "No, but you can ask UPS to check Telematics report for their driver in the area."

Packmule

A lot of it they will ignore until an accident occurs. Then they will know your speed, backing proceedures, etc. That is the stuff they will use to hang you out to dry if you're not following laws and methods. Of course, they will also overload you so you have to overdrive to make service, but bang you when something happens.
Point is, don't buy the big house or do anything that means you are counting on a long term career here. So glad I'm as far along as I am.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A lot of it they will ignore until an incident occurs. Then they will know your speed...

We had a driver who received an hourly concern for excessive speed. Telematics not only supported the concern (20 mph over 35 mph speed limit) but also showed that he was using the DIAD at the same time (recording in travel). None of this would have seen the light of day if not for the concern.

Dilli brought it up earlier that Telematics will flag any activity during the lunch/break times posted by the driver in the DIAD. Again, as Packmule said, this will be ignored until an accident/incident occurs.

yeldarb

We had a driver who received an hourly concern for excessive speed. Telematics not only supported the concern (20 mph over 35 mph speed limit) but also showed that he was using the DIAD at the same time (recording in travel). None of this would have seen the light of day if not for the concern.

You can use the diad in travel...You just cant scan a package or stop complete. Having a package in "prerecord" does nothing on the report either. I went to punch out on Friday, only to find out had a prerecorded stop from about 930 am, that I had hit accidentally put in "prerecord".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can use the diad in travel...You just cant scan a package or stop complete. Having a package in "prerecord" does nothing on the report either. I went to punch out on Friday, only to find out had a prerecorded stop from about 930 am, that I had hit accidentally put in "prerecord".

He was closing out pickup stops at 56 mph.

yeldarb

That got someone fired here for that...Not for while driving, but for falsifying by not being at the pick up when he stop completed.

Borderline 9.5

don't you hate when that happens and it's a next day air

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
IT's not a RED flag it just makes another list. UPS doesn't care if you run you lunch they only care that you put it in the board so the can't get sued if someone say that they aren't allowed to take there lunch USP is going to say well you put it in the board. If they where worried about you taking your lunch the board would shut off for an hour when you started it. Nothing will happen to these drivers that still skip there lunch even thought they put there time in the board it's saving UPS money and that is what telematics is suppose to do save the company money on insurance, time and fuel.
​Red flag was not my term. It was what my center manager said. I agree that most likely nothing will be done. Unless or until we do the same as CA, nothing will change and even then there will still be those that work through their lunch and breaks.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That got someone fired here for that...Not for while driving, but for falsifying by not being at the pick up when he stop completed.
It has long been my practice to not stop complete a PU at a location other than the actual PU place regardless of the time. IE: outside the commit time. With the rte that I am on now, I have a PU with a commit time of 3pm. I am no where near the PU location at that time and have been told to stop complete where ever I am at. This is very troubling to me for the exact reason you just stated.

FOLLOWS THE METHODS

ok just curious how many of you guys would and have run at least 5 mph over the speed limit on your air run? When you have 20 air stops to get off in x amount of time you have to do something to keep from being called in the next day and being told your terminated over a late air. I know most of you will say its dispatch and you need to tell your on car before you go out if you are to heavy in air. We have done that before and we get told the same thing everytime-you have an hour. So thats like talking to a freakin tree whats the point?

you give them warning..... You deliver following all methods laws and deliver no ground then if its late they have no recourse....