Telematics-Yawn

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
For those who think telematics is nothing more than some numbers on a chart, let me tell you that it takes a year, for the company to transition into DISCIPLINE. First, they let you do your thing and say nothing about it.

Second, they talk to you about safety items, backing, doors open, selt belts, idling time, recording in travel.

Third, they build a RECORD of your performance on the route, then establish some perimeters for change. Then , they study the data as they place an IE person to evaluate your centers performance and then here comes the discipline.

They are not going to start out where the rest of us are. We were the first region to go online with Telematics and today, its a pure discipline tool. It took one year. Same in all our hubs. As each hub went online, it took a year for them to make the transition.

Spohr and production are the primary focus of telematics. The goal? To add 21 stops more per car per day. Increasing the stops per car eliminates cars from onroad. Micro managing every second in order to get that work done and writing you up if you fall remotely short of a spohr they feel is proper production. We have had terminations for spohr and production and those cases have had to go to arbitration.

So far, they have all been returned to duty, but the arbs ruling includes an agreement that a driver "CAN BE" held responsible for not making his "demonstrated Standard" spohr while unsupervised.

This is your future. You can yawn now, but youll be YELLING later.

Laugh now, but well laugh at you tomorrow.

Peace.

Yawn

UPSGUY72

The other day we got a message "Building idle time to high need to be lower" I don't worry about my idle time I don't sit on the side of the side of the road with my car running all my idle time is sitting in traffic or at a intersection. We have drivers that have been talk to about there idle time and now shut there cars off when at red lights just to lower there idle time.

Telematics is a non issue if you wear you seat belt and shut your bulkhead door. You can look at your DIAD all you want you just can't Stop Complete a stop while moving. As far as the idle time and other times they keep track of I don't give a rats A--. I get my route done and usually under allowed. I even pull over and sort my car a couple of time a day but the time I so called wasted sorting I make up double or triple as I don't have to wast time looking for a package at each stop.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
FYI Back first exception doesn't mean you backed, it means you shut your truck off and when that truck was started up again the first thing that you did was roll the wheels backwards...meaning you didn't "back first"

not exactly. I delivered to a house in a cul de sac last week . I started the truck, pulled forward 15 feet, then had to perform a backing due to a car parked in the street and could not negotiate the Cul De Sac in one smooth motion. Because i didnt pull forward at least 25 feet before backing i was charged with a Back First Exception. I was told to 'Get The Big Picture' next time,and if i couldnt clear the Cul De Sac in one motion that i should clear the Cul De Sac and deliver from the drivers side.
I brought up the fact that over 25 years ago on my first day of driving i was instructed to ALWAYS deliver from the passenger side as it was much safer.My supervisor told me 'things have changed since then'

TheKid

For those who think telematics is nothing more than some numbers on a chart, let me tell you that it takes a year, for the company to transition into DISCIPLINE. First, they let you do your thing and say nothing about it.

Second, they talk to you about safety items, backing, doors open, selt belts, idling time, recording in travel.

Third, they build a RECORD of your performance on the route, then establish some perimeters for change. Then , they study the data as they place an IE person to evaluate your centers performance and then here comes the discipline.

They are not going to start out where the rest of us are. We were the first region to go online with Telematics and today, its a pure discipline tool. It took one year. Same in all our hubs. As each hub went online, it took a year for them to make the transition.

Spohr and production are the primary focus of telematics. The goal? To add 21 stops more per car per day. Increasing the stops per car eliminates cars from onroad. Micro managing every second in order to get that work done and writing you up if you fall remotely short of a spohr they feel is proper production. We have had terminations for spohr and production and those cases have had to go to arbitration.

So far, they have all been returned to duty, but the arbs ruling includes an agreement that a driver "CAN BE" held responsible for not making his "demonstrated Standard" spohr while unsupervised.

Peace.

".... I am doing the best I can."

and oh yeah . . . YAWN ! ! ! ! !

TheKid

And just for the record . . since technology has really come the forefront at UPS . . . it has cost more management jobs than Teamster jobs . . . HAHAHAHAHAHA.

and I am talking about management people being fired because they were caught 'cooking numbers' . . . I was here before most all of my management team and I will guarante I will outlast them.

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
not exactly. I delivered to a house in a cul de sac last week . I started the truck, pulled forward 15 feet, then had to perform a backing due to a car parked in the street and could not negotiate the Cul De Sac in one smooth motion. Because i didnt pull forward at least 25 feet before backing i was charged with a Back First Exception. I was told to 'Get The Big Picture' next time,and if i couldnt clear the Cul De Sac in one motion that i should clear the Cul De Sac and deliver from the drivers side.
I brought up the fact that over 25 years ago on my first day of driving i was instructed to ALWAYS deliver from the passenger side as it was much safer.My supervisor told me 'things have changed since then'
Didn't know about the 25ft thing, I stand corrected.

Brown Stain

Telematics are comming in the near future in my bld and all ive been doing is working as if we already have them for the past few months.i knew this day was comming and i plan to be adjusted to changing conditions, when they change.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Didn't know about the 25ft thing, I stand corrected.

I didnt know about it either until i got called on the carpet about it <g>

My personal opinion is that since so much cash was sunk into this program Management HAS to find driver errors and offenses no matter how piddly they may be to show telematics 'works'. I dont think any more about the absurdity of the program,i just do what i have to do to stay off the reports. When i am told i am over allowed i point to the Telematics board and tell my supervisor i am a superstar <g>

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have has Telematics for 2 years and 8 months now.

Nobody has been terminated based solely upon Telematics data. We have had one termination where the driver scanned and stop-completed a NDA package at 10:28 when he was 8 blocks from the actual delivery point. The driver was questioned based upon the Telematics data, and he lied. The then changed his story, and admitted the truth. He was fired for dishonesty and the termination was upheld. He would still have his job if he would have simply kept his mouth shut (or been honest about the actual delivery time) instead of lying and then changing his story.

We have had several instances of harassment based upon Telematics data, but harassment has been going on for decades and Telematics has done nothing to change that.

Do your job, follow the methods, be 100% honest, admit to any mistakes you make in a forthright manner, and you have nothing to fear from Telematics except seeing your name on some meaningless report every once in awhile.

Zax

They will start hammering you at some point or another. Backing less is KILLING me. I am on an industrial route 75 stops 40 pickups, 80% docks. 30 backs is my goal. Insane.

Zax

I have abut 75 stops 40 pickups 80% docks, my goal is 30 backs, I spend a lot of extra time not backing. Diving around buildings, making two trips with hand carts, walking 5 to 10 docks away to get in, not backing to docks that I would normally back at, that could have 5 packages, or 30. so when they have 30 I have to go to my car again then back in anyway. They are in going too far with this.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They will start hammering you at some point or another. Backing less is KILLING me. I am on an industrial route 75 stops 40 pickups, 80% docks. 30 backs is my goal. Insane.

Let them hammer. YOU are the one who is out there in the real world doing the work, so YOU are the one who decides where and when and how often you need to back up. The fact that some geek in a cubicle pulled a random number out of his ass and called it a "goal" does not have to be YOUR problem. They can bitch and whine all they want to but YOU dont have to listen or care. YOUR job is to deliver and pick up packages, not to generate meaningless numbers on some report. I know, I dealt with the same issues 2 1/2 years ago when my center went live on Telematics. They came up with a ridiculous "goal", I utterly failed to meet it, they bitched and whined, I ignored them, and pretty soon they stopped their bitching and whining and found something else to worry about. 2 1/2 years later I am still here, I am still doing my job, and I havent heard a word about backing in a long time.

thessalonian13

In our building they post the numbers daily on the wall, listing the top five worst drivers in each category. Yeah Me! I made the list as the top 5 backers! But I ain't walkin' half a mile into a rural home either, am I???
I wish they do that in my center... I would love to see myself on that list every day. It would make me proud. LOL

thessalonian13

Peace.
They can do anything they want... Telematics will not add any stops to my day. Every time they ojs me, my numbers come out the same as the last ride. I do my route as efficiently as possible. Let them micromanage all they want.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have abut 75 stops 40 pickups 80% docks, my goal is 30 backs, I spend a lot of extra time not backing. Diving around buildings, making two trips with hand carts, walking 5 to 10 docks away to get in, not backing to docks that I would normally back at, that could have 5 packages, or 30. so when they have 30 I have to go to my car again then back in anyway. They are in going too far with this.

Common sense has to come in to play at some point. Loading docks are designed to be backed on to. You are making way too much work for yourself trying to meet an arbitrary goal.

If I were you I would request a check ride. 30 backs is an unrealistic goal on an industrial route.

Borderline 9.5

He doesn't have request anything. Just do the route the way it is set up and if they have a problem, they can show him how to do it without backing. As a top 3 backer in my center, (average 45-55 backs a day with a goal of 36) I have yet to be spoken to about backs because they know it's part of the route. Never heard of a check ride Do you work for fedex?