Television

klein

Für Meno :)
Why would you need 94 octane fuel when 87 is all that is required by the auto manufacturers?

Oh no, not high performance German cars. I owned an Audi, it required a minimum of 92 octane.
I usually get the higher octane levels in the winter time, when it hits minus 30 or lower below.

It doesn't freeze, besides it works great as a fuel injector cleaner. So, every now and then, even in the summer I use it.
Plus, you get a lot more milage out of it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh no, not high performance German cars. I owned an Audi, it required a minimum of 92 octane.
I usually get the higher octane levels in the winter time, when it hits minus 30 or lower below.

It doesn't freeze, besides it works great as a fuel injector cleaner. So, every now and then, even in the summer I use it.
Plus, you get a lot more milage out of it.

How much do you make on welfare in Canada?

klein

Never collected welfare in my entire life, besides singles can't get welfare at all, unless disabled or major medical problems.
We have a work for welfare in place here. Minimum wage ($9.61/hr) at a government or city owned business, such as waste management, recyle station, city park landscaping, etc.

Plus, you get a lot more mileage out of it.

Actually you are doing the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do in the winter. For your car ,unless you are driving it hard, you could get by on a lower octane like 87. Higher octane is to prevent engine knocking (pre detonation) in vehicles with the compression ratios that need it. If you're easy on the throttle, not pulling loads or climbing big hills, you can get by with the less expensive lower octane. And you're fuel mileage will go down in a car that doesn't need higher octane as it's harder to ignite. And no gas, free of moisture, will freeze. You could get by with the lower octane and a bottle of Heat added just as easily.

Long story short you're pissing your money away.

klein

I admit, shouldn't have used the word "freeze" , it's called condensate here. It happens at sub zero temps.
Higher octane is much less likely to condensate.

They other option we have is a small additive bottle of anti freeze , with costs over $3.00. So, I might as well just get the higher octane gas, and save myself that step of adding an extra bottle of fluid to it.

And how would you have a clue ? Have you ever been thru minus 35-45C weather ?

images

I admit, shouldn't have used the word "freeze" , it's called condensate here. It happens at sub zero temps.
Higher octane is much less likely to condensate.

They other option we have is a small additive bottle of anti freeze , with costs over $3.00. So, I might as well just get the higher octane gas, and save myself that step of adding and extra bottle of fluid to it.

And how would you have a clue ? Have you ever been thru minus 35-45C weather ?

images

I live in the midwest near Chicago, yea I have. And here 87 ,at the moment, is $3.75 a gallon. 93 is $4.05. So $.30 times 20 gallons equals $6 to those who can add. The Heat is cheaper. Plus you don't have to add a bottle every fill up unless you run the tank dry so it's cheaper yet.

To you "Clue" is something in the board game isle at Costco.

klein

Do they have block heaters in Chicago, too ? Just wondering. We need to plug our cars in during the cold winter days.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We have block heaters. The dealerships sell them and install them on new cars. Autozone or Amazon sells them for used. All my Subaru's had them. I paid for them to be installed before I picked them up.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We had to plug in the cars in Idaho Falls.....30 below made it necessary. Withthose temps.,Diesel fuel froze and brought trucks to a halt in the middle of the freeway.

Do they have block heaters in Chicago, too ? Just wondering. We need to plug our cars in during the cold winter days.

They're available on cars, yes. We also have these inventions called garages which are like a house for your car. We also have indoor plumbing too.

klein

I have a Volvo Turbo and we have very cold weather here. I don't need to use that, or high octane fuel.

Had to look it up (me being European knows they build high performance engines there ) :

From page 128 of your owners manual;
"Fuel requirements
Octane rating
Volvo engines are designed for optimum performance on unleaded premium gasoline with an AKI octane rating of 91 or above.

klein

I borrowed my Audi out to a friend for 2 days. I got it back and it was gutless !
First question I asked him, "What did you do, put regular gas in it ?" - Answer was yes.
What a difference it made - I noticed it right away !

Had to look it up (me being European knows they build high performance engines there ) :

From page 128 of your owners manual;
"Fuel requirements
Octane rating
Volvo engines are designed for optimum performance on unleaded premium gasoline with an AKI octane rating of 91 or above.

Optimum being the key phrase. If driven carefully, in low load situations, a lower octane can be used. What, you think if your in the middle of the boonies and the only fuel is 87 you should drive until you run out and then walk?

P.s. I don't think you being European helps in any way.

Trayvon!

moreluck

golden ticket member
And that's another reason why I don't buy lady driven used cars !
No? You'd rather have a beat up piece of :censored2: that's on it's last legs, but looks cool while you have a beer in it.
Your description of the used car you wouldn't buy is extremely offensive to 1/4 of the population that could whip your arse !!

menotyou

bella amicizia
photo.jpg It's on page 201, in my book.(2010 S80) Yes, it says 91 for stressful driving, which I would probably qualify for. j/k. But, they dealership says 87 all day long.
photo.jpg