Temp driver end date/question

Thatguy123

So, all of our temp drivers came into work on Friday thinking it was going to be a normal day. Well, our local teamsters rep filed a grievance on all of the temp drivers behalf being that it was after Dec 31. His reason was for UPS to hire more FT drivers (we all know this isn't going to happen). Anyway, some of us ended up delivering ground later in the day because there was no other option after being told by management that we were not allowed to earlier in the day. Needless to say, the day was so effed up that it wasn't worth it. My question is, will they try to pay me air rate even though I delivered ground in the afternoon? And, do I have to report to drive Monday morning even though our last day was supposed to be the 31st? Everyone is in the dark about it. Thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should be paid ground rate for the work that you did that day.

The reason for the confusion is there is revised language in the yet-to-be ratified national contract which allows seasonal workers to work the first two weeks of January. Unfortunately, the contract is not in place yet so we are still working under the language of the current NMA which says no seasonals after 12/31.

I would call before going in on Monday. It may be a good idea to have all seasonals start 15 minutes after the permanent drivers so as to avoid any possible confrontation.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I really wish the union had stood their ground on this one. I feel this was our 1 great shot at getting a few extra drivers hired all over the country.

UPSER110

I really wish the union had stood their ground on this one. I feel this was our 1 great shot at getting a few extra drivers hired all over the country.

This happened to me at the beginning of 2012 and 2013. I filled both years, only for my business agent to come down and say "we have an agreement with the company to keep using reg-temps after 12/31" He said it like they were doing me a favor..

Brownslave688

This happened to me at the beginning of 2012 and 2013. I filled both years, only for my business agent to come down and say "we have an agreement with the company to keep using reg-temps after 12/31" He said it like they were doing me a favor..
Your BA can not make side agreements. Sounds like you need a new BA.

PT Car Washer

And getting seasonal pay also I suppose. No thanks. I make top driver pay when I deliver. No guarantees on hours, but usually work more hours then I want anyway.

upschuck

I would doubt they would add a driver for a couple of weeks in January. If they did, I sure they would have hired them shortly after anyways.

They would just load every one up heavy, and worry about the few grievances later.

Brownslave688

I would doubt they would add a driver for a couple of weeks in January. If they did, I sure they would have hired them shortly after anyways.

They would just load every one up heavy, and worry about the few grievances later.
There's is no way we could handle the volume we have now without our helpers and seasonal drivers. This of course is just for my center.

Either way would it have killed the union to stand their ground. We have essentially let the company implement anything they want from the new contract and withhold our raises.

upschuck

There's is no way we could handle the volume we have now without our helpers and seasonal drivers. This of course is just for my center.

Either way would it have killed the union to stand their ground. We have essentially let the company implement anything they want from the new contract and withhold our raises.
I agree with you, but seasonals are probably working in all aspects of the operation, so they would probably just roll some loads over like they did in my centers. Lots of angry customers, and they used the "adv weather" as a reason for the delay, even though the load that got here at 9pm wasn't unloaded til 11am the next day.

UPSGUY72

In are old supplement the cut off for the casuals / seasons was Dec 31 and in the new it Jan 15. Those that have similar contract wording and have casuals working they shouldn't be casual they should now be FT drivers. It's either all or none not parts of new contract are in effect.

File file file.....

Brownslave688

In are old supplement the cut off for the casuals / seasons was Dec 31 and in the new it Jan 15. Those that have similar contract wording and have casuals working they shouldn't be casual they should now be FT drivers. It's either all or none not parts of new contract are in effect.

File file file.....
We're told we can't. The union or at least our local gave the company a pass on this one.

In all honesty what can you do if your steward and BA say no its fine.

Brownslave688

The national passed-----I think that if it had not the union would be pressing the issue.
That's fine and I understand that but don't say we are working under the old contract then.

I realize there are union by laws and such but it should if been more along the lines of. The locals that didn't pass the contract will continue to work under the old contract. In all other places we will move forward with the new contract.

That's pretty much what's happening anyway.