Temp drivers vs Fulltime Bids

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by carpaltoxin, Oct 21, 2009.

1. carpaltoxin

carpaltoxin New Member

I am at a center that runs about 20 or so trucks a day. We have had 8, i kid you not, 8 drivers retire in the past 2 years. 6 in the past year. They have still not have put up a full time bid! They just keep dragging their feet, hiring temp drivers for seasonal help. I have been with the company for almost 8 years, and am STILL waiting for a full time job. I am wondering if other centers are going through the same things we are. It is almost like the union is just letting them get away with this! When I first started, the union was strong! Now it seems that they are in with the UPS management! Once again, I am just curious if other centers are going through this, temp drivers vs full time bids.

2. brownrodster

brownrodster New Member

What exactly is the union letting "them" get away with? You are aware that UPS is allowed to hire seasonal drivers for peak? Wait until Jan/feb. You are aware that centers have been cutting routes in the last 1-2 years aren't you? Are supervisors running routes? Wait until jan/feb and see if they have enough drivers for all the routes. If they don't then I bet they would hire more drivers...

3. grgrcr88

grgrcr88 No It's not green grocer!

Where are you located?

Central Region supplement states:
    Article 3, section 8
    "When a permanentnew job or permanent vacancy becomes open in a center, it shal be posted by the employer, within ten(10) days , for a period of five(5) working days, except in the months of November and December. A permanent new job, for the purpose of this article, shall be one that has been in existence for a period of thirty(30) calender days.

4. tonyexpress

tonyexpress Whac-A-Troll Patrol Staff Member

Hey carpaltoxin,

Welcome to the BrownCafe!:peaceful: