Temp info

ok here is my dilemma. I currently work for a driving company for the past 5 years the pay is just ok, benefits are just ok, i am comfortable there. I always told myself i would only leave for ups. well i applied for a full time package car driver . I sat down for the interview and was told that at the end of the year i would be evaluated on my performance to see if i will be kept. That is a huge risk for me considering i have two kids a spend wife and a mortgage. Like i said i work in a delivery service now and i also have 5 years at fed ex . and i am a route jumper and my job now so i know my area like the back of my hand. i know i can do the job . so my question is . do you guys think its worth the risk ? top rate at my job is 24$ :( and also do you guys know the percentage of temps they usually target to keep? and does anyone know the temp starting rate?

The leave of absence would be unpaid and you could lose your benefits during that time.
I've looked into already And yes it would be unpaid but the whole idea is to go back if for some reason ups let's me go forgot to mention that I have someone on the inside who will be in the district mng ear lobbing for me

upschuck

The position your friend is would make a difference. If high enough, you would most certainly be good. What does he say? He would know better his pull then we would.

jaker

trolling
Huge risk unless you can get the time off from the other jobs

Because even if you kicked but and work the season doesn't mean ups won't take 2 months or longer to hire you

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
When you are hired as a "temp driver" (casual) you are not in a probationary slot where if you do well you will be made permanent. Your job will end period. The only way you can go perm full time regular driver is if they've exhausted all part timers who want to go driving first. Management can make an exception--usually every 6th driver they hire can be off the street like you but it is a long shot. Admittedly right now we are near record lows for the part timers on the list in much of the country.

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's a big risk....what's your backup plan if you do it and UPS doesn't keep you? Knowing brown...the fact that they're telling you at the interview that it may be temp....your chances of a perm spot are slim. A very wise driver once told me.....stick with the devil you know.

Last edited:
When you are hired as a "temp driver" (casual) you are not in a probationary slot where if you do well you will be made permanent. Your job will end period. The only way you can go perm full time regular driver is if they've exhausted all part timers who want to go driving first. Management can make an exception--usually every 6th driver they hire can be off the street like you but it is a long shot. Admittedly right now we are near record lows for the part timers on the list in much of the country.

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck
Not what I wanted to hear !!!