temperature of working conditions

watdaflock?

The summer months being a sweat box is one thing but during peak our small hub attaches a "dog house" which pretty much stays the same temperature as outside. It has heaters but once more than six inches from directly under them they do nothing.

Any rules about the working conditions being below freezing?

J

jibbs

The summer months being a sweat box is one thing but during peak our small hub attaches a "dog house" which pretty much stays the same temperature as outside. It has heaters but once more than six inches from directly under them they do nothing.

Any rules about the working conditions being below freezing?

Buy a balaclava. And thermal clothing. And long johns. And wear them every day, along with two pairs of socks.

You'll be peeling off layers due to the heat after 45min. That's what I do, and I've got so little body fat it's retarded. No natural insulation and I still stay warm af through 10 degree nights.

My hands are the only part I leave exposed, and :censored2: do they get cold.

(This is doghouse-specific advice, btw. Inside the building you'd get a gosh darn heatstroke bundling up like this.)

No contractual rules that I know of regarding this, either. If some exist, I would love to know about them.

J

jibbs

Try:temperature inside building.

Are doghouses considered in the building, though? I feel like the one sitting out separate from the building entirely in my center's parking lot definitely isn't.

Maybe the other one attached to the building is, but it's basically outdoor conditions there anyways. So many gaps (I'm talking anywhere from 1ft-4ft here) between the top of the trucks and the bottom of the dock areas that the weather can't help but come say hi every morning in that tin can.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Are doghouses considered in the building, though? I feel like the one sitting out separate from the building entirely in my center's parking lot definitely isn't.

Maybe the other one attached to the building is, but it's basically outdoor conditions there anyways. So many gaps (I'm talking anywhere from 1ft-4ft here) between the top of the trucks and the bottom of the dock areas that the weather can't help but come say hi every morning in that tin can.

I think what you call a doghouse is what we called a bristol. Kind of a trailer on blocks with doors down each side and a belt or rollers.

The year I thought I could find greener grass, and bid a preload/porter job, I spent most of the winter alone in the bristol loading TP-60's for our satellite routes. There were two gas furnaces in it, and even on the coldest mornings (sub-zero), I ended up turning at least one of them off.;)

J

jibbs

I think what you call a doghouse is what we called a bristol. Kind of a trailer on blocks with doors down each side and a belt or rollers.

The year I thought I could find greener grass, and bid a preload/porter job, I spent most of the winter alone in the bristol loading TP-60's for our satellite routes. There were two gas furnaces in it, and even on the coldest mornings (sub-zero), I ended up turning at least one of them off.;)

Yep, that's exactly it! Same deal with the heat, when it works...

Which, currently, it doesn't. I foresee another threat from a union employee to call OSHA again before it gets fixed, again. That's what had to happen the last time before they did anything about it, at least.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yep, that's exactly it! Same deal with the heat, when it works...

Which, currently, it doesn't. I foresee another threat from a union employee to call OSHA again before it gets fixed, again. That's what had to happen the last time before they did anything about it, at least.
Finally the right answer. OSHA. They have the info you're looking for.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Finally the right answer. OSHA. They have the info you're looking for.
I've been a loader a long time...if you're cold...chances are you're not moving fast enough. All I want for Christmas is a friggin break. 9.5 hours yesterday with 2 five min smoke breaks...just ain't cutting it anymore.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've been a loader a long time...if you're cold...chances are you're not moving fast enough. All I want for Christmas is a friggin break. 9.5 hours yesterday with 2 five min smoke breaks...just ain't cutting it anymore.
Repeat after me. "I'll be back. I need to take a dump."

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You preloaders got it good in the winter and summer. All the gates are closed until the drivers are leaving.
Yes, yes we know...you have it harder on Twi than anyone else in UPS...including preloaders and drivers. Bay doors are wide open...as rentals are being loaded by carting packages out to the yard. Tell me more about what you don't know about my building. Did you hit 30 hrs a week on local sort yet? I punch in in 15 minutes ;)