Temps still are working on 1/24/14 at my center

Leadfarmer153

So my center manager called me today to ask if I could Temp drive on Friday. As far as I know he needs two. We had a mild snow storm but nothing outta the ordinary for my area. I'm guessing they have blamed it on the snow. My local has already given the ok to use us. My center has 3 unfilled full time spots. Which have all been filed, I've been all over it for over 2 years now. The center manager does want these spots filled. We are now 30 days pass Christmas and completely out of peak. With the new contract giving the ok for all year round temps (under the 1 day use of a temp year round) I don't see a need for the company to post new full time spots anytime soon.

I realize this isn't the Unions company and UPS hires when they want. But why even have a contract if we constantly just ignore it? Why even pay into the Union when my local has pissed our money away and increased the retirement age to 62. Thats right at my center its not 55 anymore.

Am I apart of the weakest most spineless local in the country? I've been told they don't want to press the issue of full time spots because if we lose it's like a court case and can screw future attempts at filling full time spots. Well if you don't fight for them anyhow what do you got to lose? I'm coming up on 7 years as a part timer. And as a part time employee you should know we can't just pass up the money. If I try and unite the Temps and say tell them to say no, that won't work. There are to many of us and a few are bound to say yes.

sportsjock

Our seasonal drivers are still driving as well. Most of them are from the outside. They just put up a bid list for FT drivers. My center is in need of drivers we have 75% or more of our drivers on 9.5. We have a sup that does a route everyday. That's how screwed up our center is. It's bad on a good day its bad. We have have eight to ten sick calls a day.

UPSGUY72

No seasonal are working in my building. However one of the casual drivers has been kept on and now is a FT permanent driver..

Ouch

To the op. File and keep filing. Have you gone to the union meetings or gone to the steward or ba with your concerns? If you have what have they told you?

sportsjock

The shady thing my center did was hire all of the seasonal drivers as pre loaders, but kept them on as utility drivers. Today their were suppose to be three new hires start their 30 day probation. I am interested to see what kind of shenanigans they are going to try to pull. My center and sups are very shady and they lie to your face.

Leadfarmer153

To the op. File and keep filing. Have you gone to the union meetings or gone to the steward or ba with your concerns? If you have what have they told you?

Right now I'm on vacation so I'm kinda out of the loop. I was called at home and since it was the main boss I called him back. I'm not working but I'm in touch with another good friend who is also a temp. He as working Friday. I have my Local leader on my cell phone and talk to him about once a month. I told my friend to count how many temps he sees in browns in the morning and to find our most trusted steward.

The issue is, if my local gave permission to use us... what is filing going to do. They won't act on it. Once you give permission its a legal issue of giving consent. I'm calling my local leader in the morning just to confirm he knows. As of right now there are two temps driving Friday.

Leadfarmer153

The center manager had no idea I was on vacation. And as soon as I told him I was he apologized and said never mind sorry I bothered you man.... and said he will find someone else. I could tell he was like opps.

Several of our seasonal drivers were kept on as FT package car drivers. That is how the company fills the ranks now. Don't even give the PTers a chance to bid. They do have a FT driver intent sheet posted.

Ouch

It doesn't matter if the union said they could or not. That to me is an extra contractual agreement. If it's not in the book file on it. If you guys have full time spots open why is it the part timers who have signed the bid sheet to go full time not filing on this. They are the oones that should get the jobs according to the 6 to 1 hiring schedule. Something doesn't sound right to me on this practice. Why would your union support the company using temps when peak is over and their are vacancies waiting to be filled. Doesn't make since to me. I would think your local would want to take care of its members. Guess that's why I like my local so much. They don't make those deals under the table with the company.

Do not have a driver bid sheet posted. A FT driver intent sheet. Then they weed out the PTers who can't pass the driver pre qualifications. Driving record, being able to drive manual transmission, correct license , etc. Don't leave much to choose from.

sportsjock

Ouch - I've been saying the same thing. In our center they are trying to pull some deceitfulness. I have a buddy that they failed him on his first 30 days, but brought him on as a utility driver he's been driving since October. He filed a grievance on them about his 30 days, they waited until the 28 day to tell him he did not make it. The case is still pending!! they haven't produced the documents the union have requested. The funny thing is a female driver from the outside came and did the same route as he did with half the dispatch he was going out with and she passed.

I've been telling guys that are on the list to make sure they have everything in order otherwise they will get passed over. Man we need drivers extremely bad! man I'm getting 20 of OT a week. Its insane!!

Leadfarmer153

It doesn't matter if the union said they could or not. That to me is an extra contractual agreement. If it's not in the book file on it. If you guys have full time spots open why is it the part timers who have signed the bid sheet to go full time not filing on this. They are the oones that should get the jobs according to the 6 to 1 hiring schedule. Something doesn't sound right to me on this practice. Why would your union support the company using temps when peak is over and their are vacancies waiting to be filled. Doesn't make since to me. I would think your local would want to take care of its members. Guess that's why I like my local so much. They don't make those deals under the table with the company.

Because some locals are good and some are worthless.

Ouch

Hey eric1 if those vacancies have been filed on what was the ruling on the grievances? If the center manager really wanted those spots filled he would have filled them by now. So are you working in the hub part time or are you a true temp driver from off the street?

Leadfarmer153

Hey eric1 if those vacancies have been filed on what was the ruling on the grievances? If the center manager really wanted those spots filled he would have filled them by now. So are you working in the hub part time or are you a true temp driver from off the street?

I have been a part timer for 6 1/2 years. The vacancies have been filed and have gone no where. What I'm told is there are different levels that the grievances go through on the FT spots. And since my local tip toes around them outta fear that we lose one..that case sets precedence over all cases. It's kinda like how an old court case ruling can effect other cases... Thats what I've been told. At this point most all of the PTers are like "why bother" if we file the union does nothing. And there are only about two stewards anyone can trust. The others can be bought for Bacon greese.

Ouch

I would definitely have a sit down with one of the trusted stewards. I would ask how he wants you to proceed with the grievance to produce results. The one reason i say this is he will have to present it and may want you to word it a certain way. Years ago i filed some grievances that made it no where in the local, the next one I filed I put "not to be settled at the local level". That may be something yall want to discuss. I would definitely be at the next meeting at the hall. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion in the meeting. Your local is suppose to be working for you. The contract language can't be changed by the local unless it is a voted for contract. Don't be like some and give up. You may be surprised how many people will stand with you. It just takes one person to say something and then everybody else will stand with you. If that doesn't work call the IBT. Voice your disgust with them. You have to be willing to fight this from start to finish. Don't think your voice will not change anything.

Indecisi0n

Our local starting filing grievances daily for every temp used past their approved date. It stopped in two days, no more temps.

Leadfarmer153

More temps went out today. They tried to get me as I'm first in the list, this isn't Temp season and I'm local sort. So I get off late and stay up late. My phone is off because.... Ummm I'm not full time and not on call to drive.

I called my local on Friday and he did say they are working with management to get these 3 unfilled fulltime spots. So I'm waiting on a call back from my local. If he doesn't file, I will. This is getting out of hand.

Once the new contract becomes final they will abuse the "1 day use of temps" like crazy. When I saw that in the new contract I thought... wow that is complete weakness. I feel many of our locals are weak because, the weakness goes all the way to the top of our union leaders and funnels all the way down to us.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Wtf is going on. How can temps still be working. If you are working today you are a "temp". File and file and sue if you have to but any " temp" still working needs to read the contract and use it and bank off of ups's mistake.

Leadfarmer153

My local gave them permission, because the new contract has a part in there, temps all year. Yea no one thought that was a big deal. But I took major notice to the little wording.

Wanna hear the kicker, the want the temps to keep there phones on in the morning and be ready to come in. All this with 3 fulltime spots that were never filled.

Inthegame

My local gave them permission, because the new contract has a part in there, temps all year. Yea no one thought that was a big deal. But I took major notice to the little wording.

Wanna hear the kicker, the want the temps to keep there phones on in the morning and be ready to come in. All this with 3 fulltime spots that were never filled.
Not sure you're using the correct terms but maybe your rider is allowing something unique. New 'Seasonal' (peak season) language only allows an additional few weeks use in January. Vacation replacements (summer) is unchanged. Single day cover drivers can be used in certain circumstances but your local should get that info daily and demand additional FT drivers if Single day drivers are routinely "covering" when no single day vacation days are awarded.
Stay on your BA to get those FT jobs filled NOW, or show up at the next mtg with the whole local sort.