Ten signs you work in a fear-based workplace

NHDRVR

NHDRVR,

Very good posts.

What it boils down to is....

"Leaders lead......managers push..."

Thank you...

If any of you ex-military or current 'reserve' UPS employees (driver or mgmt.) would like to expound on leadership vs. mgmt I would love to hear your opinion on it since you lived it 24/7 while enlisted....

Your opinion on this carries a bit more weight than mine...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...your opinion was spot on.

Sober says it best when he states that we no longer service the customer, we service the metric, and that our local management has little to no say in the operations of their centers.

Numbers 4 and 10 esp. number 10 at my workplace. My friends tell me if I can work at UPS I can work anywhere. One time when when I went for dinner I overheard 2 gentlemen talking about the possiblity of find a carrier for their pkgs and the remark was I won't use UPS because they treat their people like @%^&. We have a reputation of being a company that is mean to their people how sad. I can tell you this I've been attacked verbally for doing nothing bad If I wanted to be in the military I would have signed up. Sometime I wonder if the military (non combat) has it better. Sometimes I feel like I have combat stress. Like theres IEDS around.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Please do not minimize combat stress or IEDs as neither you, me or anyone else have any idea what those guys go through over there. I was 8 years enlisted and the closest I ever got to combat was when I performed perimeter security for a C-141 crash in Sicily. There is no comparing the "hostile" work environment at UPS with that of being on the front line in a combat zone.

This is almost as bad as those folks who compare working at UPS to serving a prison term.

Excuse me Sir. Would the words Walking on egg shells work instead. End of this discussion on my end.

I have a friend who is in the military I guess who had to hear our conversation to understand my statement.:peaceful:

trickpony1

buckeyegirl-
Innerstate lives in his own little world and is convinced if he clicks his heels together enough then everything will be alright.
Please try to be a little more understanding.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

buckeyegirl-
Innerstate lives in his own little world and is convinced if he clicks his heels together enough then everything will be alright.
Please try to be a little more understanding.

One trick, even you have to agree that comparing the "stress" of our work environment to that of a soldier in a combat is a poor comparison.