Tentative Agreement

Inthegame

We will have to wait and see the details but lets all be honest a raise that doesn't even cover the historical rate of inflation is by no means substantial.
OK lets be honest. Who gets raises covering inflation? In five years do you $37 an hour with an additional $200 per fulltime employee benefit package will put you in the soup line?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We will have to wait and see the details but lets all be honest a raise that doesn't even cover the historical rate of inflation is by no means substantial.
OK lets be honest. Who gets raises covering inflation? In five years do you $37 an hour with an additional $200 per fulltime employee benefit package will put you in the soup line?

Obviously someone does. If no one got inflation raises inflation wouldn't exist because we would all be in the poor house eventually.

Ask part timers about inflation. They can't buy much with that 8.50 people lived off of in the 80's.

It is what it is I'm sure it will get voted in all I'm saying is we shouldn't take a pay cut when they are making a billion a quarter.

Ok just for arguments sake. Ups makes 5 billion this year. We have 250k union employees. U could pay all those employees 20k with the 5 billion in profits. 1/10 of that as a raise doesn't seem too bad when we all know prices will go up like clock work in January.

T

TheBrownGuy

From Forbes:
[h=1]The Average Raise Next Year Will Be 2.9 Percent[/h] Luke Landes, Contributor
Comment Now Follow Comments

share_controls_60x18.png

share_controls_60x18.png

share_controls_60x18.png

According to the U.S. Compensation Planning Survey and research by the compensation consulting firm Mercer, companies plan to offer employees an average pay raise of 2.9 percent. While Mercer hasn’t announced this result in a press release as of today, CNN is reporting this information, calling this an increase from actual pay raises in 2011. The actual pay raise in 2012 has apparently not been calculated yet. CNN says this is an increase from 2011, in which the average employee pay raise was 2.7 percent, but Mercer’s own website says the average raise in 2011 was 2.9 percent — the same as the prediction for 2013.

2.9 % on $33 equals...
=$5.07

$38.07 over 5 years

2.9% starting with a base rate of $32.29...

$4.96 total $37.25 hr

U

uber

Obviously someone does. If no one got inflation raises inflation wouldn't exist because we would all be in the poor house eventually.

Ask part timers about inflation. They can't buy much with that 8.50 people lived off of in the 80's.

It is what it is I'm sure it will get voted in all I'm saying is we shouldn't take a pay cut when they are making a billion a quarter.

Ok just for arguments sake. Ups makes 5 billion this year. We have 250k union employees. U could pay all those employees 20k with the 5 billion in profits. 1/10 of that as a raise doesn't seem too bad when we all know prices will go up like clock work in January.

You're acting like the value of the dollar is going to drastically change in the next 5 years. Big difference between comparing PT wages now a days and the 80's.

My dad has been a union sheet metalist for 30 years and hasn't seen a single raise in the past 3 contracts.

rod

Retired 22 years
Re: I guess there is no strike....

Is everyone going to accept their first offer? I realize I don't have a horse in this race but come on ---as well as the company is doing why would you even consider the 1st offer?

Inthegame

WE as a society are heading to the poor house. There is much higher personal debt than 10 years ago. Our union contract has inflation protection with COLA clauses (albeit weak ones) and you received a COLA increase of .12 a few years back. The new contract had a union proposal to strengthen COLA (don't know if that survived) but the point is the employees at UPS got this deal that no one else in this country is getting anymore because of their union. No one is taking a pay cut.

T

TheBrownGuy

Forbes for 2013:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybuilder/2012/08/10/the-average-raise-next-year-will-be-2-9-percent/
The Average Raise Next Year Will Be 2.9 Percent

2.9% on $32.29
$4.96 total
$37.25

2.9% on $33=
$5.07 total
$38.07

These are the national average wage increases in a struggling economy.
UPS is far from struggling.
I hope the language on 9.5, production, technology, "dishonesty" terminations is strong because being in Central States and substandard wage increases would cost me thousands.

Do the math...if you got a 2.9% increase each year and worked 10 hrs of overtime a week you would make $8,500 more than the current wage proposal(over 5 years)!!!
I call that a concession.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You're acting like the value of the dollar is going to drastically change in the next 5 years. Big difference between comparing PT wages now a days and the 80's.

My dad has been a union sheet metalist for 30 years and hasn't seen a single raise in the past 3 contracts.

historically speaking it'll change about 3.5% every year. That adds up quick. Run a retirement calculator and see how much more money you'll need 25 years into retirement than in year one it's scary.

Also with the easy money policies of the fed right now hyperinflation could hit soon. Obviously that remains to be seen.

Once u add in COLA raises (if there is significant inflation) we could possibly cover inflation. I hadn't factored that in. What I have a problem with is the union selling it as a SIGNIFICANT raise. No matter how u slice it its not.

AKCoverMan

Re: I guess there is no strike....

Is everyone going to accept their first offer? I realize I don't have a horse in this race but come on ---as well as the company is doing why would you even consider the 1st offer?

I highly doubt it's the "first offer". The first offer and probably others were turned down without even bringing it to the membership.

I think we all need to step back and wait for the actual proposed contract to come out before we jump to conclusions. We'll have it soon enough.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
you wonder when fedex drivers realize what we will be making in 4-5 years and what they make per hour if this might start a fire under their ases to start asking for a fair share from their company and finally get the union involved..I know I needed a few periods in there but you get my drift

Evil

Company Health Plan UPSers To Be Moved to Union Plans, YIKES!

All UPSers on company plans will be moved to health plans. The new contract also only offers 2,000 new full-time jobs. We're still waiting on how much retiree healthcare will rise per month. Raises are:

equaling about 1.7%--way below inflation.
$2.50 pension increase over the 5 year life of the contract, the lowest in the past 20 years.

From the looks of it, its is the largest sell-out in the history of UPS Teamsters.

I'm voting NO, how will you?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Re: Company Health Plan UPSers To Be Moved to Union Plans, YIKES!

All UPSers on company plans will be moved to health plans. The new contract also only offers 2,000 new full-time jobs. We're still waiting on how much retiree healthcare will rise per month. Raises are:

$2.50 pension increase over the 5 year life of the contract, the lowest in the past 20 years.

From the looks of it, its is the largest sell-out in the history of UPS Teamsters.

are these 2000 jobs 22.3 or driver jobs which would be made anyway with retirements over the next five years...

balland chain

That is it !!!! Why the hell is everybody boasting about this crap ? Moving everybody to Union run healthcare... Pray to GOD your is better than what I get with Central States... They will see a NO vote from me as well...My God, I thought we actually did get a great contract, what they hell are they reading?? Unbelievable..

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

1.7% raise over 5 years. That sort of sucks. So in 5 years we will be able to by less than we can today? Balls.