terminated couple weeks ago, what to expect?

cornfed

Brown Guy, I assume you implied he was spending time under the dispatcher's desk performing duties which resulted in his lighter loads.

At my center we would lose half the workforce every month if they fired us for stuff like this.

I guess this should be a wake call for all of us. I think your best defense is to stick with the apology and say that your intention was to question why he was getting the lighter load and that you weren't trying to insult him personally.

My feeling is that they have to pursue this to show that they take it seriously, but that you will get your job back. Good luck brother, I think you will be fine.

It is the same way at my center. I'm just the one who was apparently the.....fall guy? i don't know how to phrase it. Everyone hates a couple guys at my center who constantly get treated favorably, they complain about something, it gets changed, for the rest of us we're told basically to suck it up. They get 9's, we get 11's. You get the drift. Thanks for the post and i do hope you are right.

cornfed

hello Brown_guy, I'm one who has recently gone through a ups firing. You can't retain or be represented by a lawyer till the union is done with the case, however you can talk to one, and I suggest you do, their great help. You will be able to tell your story to the lawyer and let him give you an opinion about things to say or a way to say it as to not hang your self. Do not forget the hostile environment ups has created, by giving special treatment to other drivers, recall other incedents and ask some of your supporters at work for a notarize letter if they witnessed anything before. U need a letter as they might try to back out under ups preasure, plan ahead, it's a method. File for unemployment now in case you don't get your job back, and even though I got mine changed to a suspension, I was able to draw unemployment, with the help of lawyer, the state found I was wrongfully suspended, and got paid unemployment for my suspension. I can't dwell enough on you, UPS creates a hostile environment. After this over you will have a whole different opinion ups and probably the union. Good luck PS stress with wife thing, boy do I know what your talking about.

Thanks for the post. Amen to your 2nd to last comment. Definitely true already. I do understand what you're saying. I am doubting i could score a notarized letter or anything from any of the employees. We are at a relatively smaller center and they're already tip toe-ing on egg shells as of late. I won't count on it.

However, i have been brainstorming different things and have been thinking of writing apology letters to the parties involved and perhaps seeking out some kind of anger management class of some sort on my own. Would documenting these types of actions help me if presented at panel? I already mentioned to my division manager that i would love the opportunity to write apology letters the the parties after this was over. I am not really sure if i'm allowed to contact these folks at all right now frankly. Any ideas? That stuff doesn't matter? It could help? Opinions?

cornfed

BTW, does anyone think anything i've posted to this point could be problematic for me or does it not really matter at this point?

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
That Article you quoted must be from your Regional agreement. Could you, or someone, post up the exact text of that Article 17 ?

Did you say you only have 5 years with the Company? Not that this means your current grievance has any merit or not, but I was near that point one time long ago and had 6 weeks to 'enjoy'. If I had to do it over again I would make every effort to find employment elsewhere and leave UPS in my rear view mirror.

menotyou

bella amicizia
That Article you quoted must be from your Regional agreement. Could you, or someone, post up the exact text of that Article 17 ?

Did you say you only have 5 years with the Company? Not that this means your current grievance has any merit or not, but I was near that point one time long ago and had 6 weeks to 'enjoy'. If I had to do it over again I would make every effort to find employment elsewhere and leave UPS in my rear view mirror.
Go to the Union Issues area. At the top of the page, Cheryl has posted a copy of the Master. Page 44 is where Art. 17 starts.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Central Region Supplement
Art. 17 i, other serious offenses, the company and union agree that there are offenses where an employee may be suspended in lieu of discharge.

tardus

If I were fired for insulting someone, and if that someone told me that they were not offended, I would seek their cooperation by attending the panel hearing and testifying on my behalf. Or if they cannot attend the panel hearing perhaps the someone might give you a notarized letter to take to the panel stating that they were not offended and considered your comment a joke.

bluehdmc

If I were fired for insulting someone, and if that someone told me that they were not offended, I would seek their cooperation by attending the panel hearing and testifying on my behalf. Or if they cannot attend the panel hearing perhaps the someone might give you a notarized letter to take to the panel stating that they were not offended and considered your comment a joke.

Unfortunately that's not the way sexual harrassment claims work. Someone overhearing the comment may be offended, which sounds like what happened in this case.

(this was explained to me when I worked for another employer and I was thought to be a witness in a sexual harrassment case)

UPSGUY72

Unfortunately that's not the way sexual harrassment claims work. Someone overhearing the comment may be offended, which sounds like what happened in this case.

(this was explained to me when I worked for another employer and I was thought to be a witness in a sexual harrassment case)

Bingo

ymelord

However, i have been brainstorming different things and have been thinking of writing apology letters to the parties involved and perhaps seeking out some kind of anger management class of some sort on my own. Would documenting these types of actions help me if presented at panel? I already mentioned to my division manager that i would love the opportunity to write apology letters the the parties after this was over. I am not really sure if i'm allowed to contact these folks at all right now frankly. Any ideas? That stuff doesn't matter? It could help? Opinions?
I bet you don't need an anger management classes. Unless, your beating your wife, kids, dogs, or throwing the newspaper back at the paper boy, you just happen to work for a company that is friend up right now. It's a hostile environment at brown these days, I'm suprised more people don't go postal. If you get back on, remember, the fight is not with hourly, it's with management. If you have problems with other drivers perks, take it up with management or steward. UPS wants us to fight each other, that way we aren't fighting with them. I personally wouldn't write letters, I wouldn't want any more of a paper trail.

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
NO LETTERS!! Don't implicate yourself any further. Get your job back and leave it at that. Apologize all you want to get your job back, but once you're back, forget it happened. Never even bring it up again. Just don't admit anymore guilt. You'll just be giving them more ammo to fire you.

ibt

Did the person you talk to report it to mgmt.Did they file police report or protection order?Are they going to file lawsuit?This is a very bad position for the company they have to take action to protect themselves.It depends how out of hand this gets if he goes to cops,eeoc or files suit your toast.If he don't push issue to hard you will go back to work try to have your ba work out all time served suspension before panel.Stealing, threating or sexual harassment will get you gone in a hurry .