Terminated for dishonesty....

dudebro

But you do have a little more respect for someone who knows how to do the job.
Personally, I have ALWAYS done my best to treat any driver with respect. I know how hard the job is. I know drivers are the face of the company. I just don't agree when someone tells me I don't know anything about it because I didn't do it for 20 years.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Personally, I have ALWAYS done my best to treat any driver with respect. I know how hard the job is. I know drivers are the face of the company. I just don't agree when someone tells me I don't know anything about it because I didn't do it for 20 years.
Ok dude, how long DID you do it for then?

PT Car Washer

But you have all the answers because you did the job one summer?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Some people take seniority a little too far. If you had an on road sup with 40 years as a driver, they'd argue that the driver with 41 years would be justified telling the 40 year sup that he or she didn't know the job and can't tell the 41 year driver what to do.

It really doesn't take that long to get the gist of the driving job. They have brain surgeons who only do a 3 year residency "on the job". But somehow we think a driver needs 30 years before he/she understands..

I wish you'd have been my boss

We would have had fun

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I did one stop. You bring the package from over here, to over there.
doesnt_make_any_sense_anchorman.gif

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Some people take seniority a little too far. If you had an on road sup with 40 years as a driver, they'd argue that the driver with 41 years would be justified telling the 40 year sup that he or she didn't know the job and can't tell the 41 year driver what to do.

It really doesn't take that long to get the gist of the driving job. They have brain surgeons who only do a 3 year residency "on the job". But somehow we think a driver needs 30 years before he/she understands..
You'll have some mentally challenged drivers that will disagree with you ... not going to mention names.
I'm a nice guy.

dudebro

I wish you'd have been my boss

We would have had fun

Honestly, most of the hard core Teamsters and I never had a problem with each other. I'm straight with people, I treat people fairly as I know how, anyway, and I don't have time to "hate guys" like some other people I've met.

People can disagree with me and that doesn't bother me. I don't want engineers working with me who are a bunch of rubber stamps now.

DOK

@Grey I've used it before on a resi as well. Dispatch said they were going to be out of town for a week to future for next week. Thanks everyone who has been replying I appriciate it. Do you guys know what's going to happen at this meeting with the labor and union people? What do I say? What do I not say?
Just tell the truth, full disclosure is your only way back.

UPSjedi41

image.jpeg

i was terminated for dishonesty. Story: I futured 6 packages (businesses) that I was not going to make. I futured them for the next day. Next morning I show up and my shop steward tells me they want to walk me out, tells me bc I futured these 6 packages. I had a meeting and they asked me if it was true, I told them it was. I told them I knew I was not going to make them so instead of writing them up as missed I decided to future them. That was my mistake, making that judgement call and not calling the office and putting it in their hands. I get loaded with 200 plus stops daily on that route, that day I had 215 ( it's not even peak season (September). I told them i can only deviate from my route so much, I already get off around 830/9 pm daily. I was terminated and in 2 days I will have a meeting with the labor people and the union. What should I expect? Will I get my job back? I also mentioned that I wasn't trying to cheat the company or cover my ass I told them I was trying to do a favor for my center so it don't show up as missed is all. Once I went to the office with a business package and said " I don't know what you want me to do with it, sheet it up as missed or what" . One driver said " future them to tomorrow that's what I do" to the response the dispatcher said " yeep" so I honestly didn't think it was that bad. now I'm 2 weeks in not working, no pay and scared I'm not going to get my
Job back. ( been with the company for 10 years, driving for 2 years). What do I say when I have this meeting? I've futured packages in the past but they never told me not to, or what's happening here, no warning letter
Or write up straight to getting discharged. My center manager said it came from higher in the command chain. Any input would help since I'm 2 days out from this meeting. Thanks ahead of time everyone!

margaritaville

you really don't know how many drivers sheet packages as not in and then they hit the commercial....no trying about it.

TIP: If its a business and no one is there, they are ClOSED. If its residential and no one is home they are NOT IN (NI) because your home is not closed...ever.
But what about packages listed as "Spring Hills Apartments." Or any other apartment name. But it's just a manager living in one of the units. There is no office. It probably thinks its a business but its really someone just living there. That one is confusing. It's like you should do it as NI since its a persons home but you could get flagged.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
But what about packages listed as "Spring Hills Apartments." Or any other apartment name. But it's just a manager living in one of the units. There is no office. It probably thinks its a business but its really someone just living there. That one is confusing. It's like you should do it as NI since its a persons home but you could get flagged.
If someone lives at the unit it's addressed to it's a residence (NI).
The new smartstop technology might flag the stop for clarification because it's been sheeted differently in the past, just select the residential option that applies.

Dr.Brownz

I never met a driver that didn't know the job after 18 months ... most after 6 months.
There is a learning curve but anyone who pays attention and can handle the physical wear and tear can be good at it.
At 20 years, we are are working on rationalizations why we can't do it as well as we could 20 years before ... driving either.

When you are going to make driving a package car your career there is a certain way you do the job. That is what these 30 day wonder sups don't understand. They believe because they did a training route and ran,skipped lunch and other dumb stuff to "scratch" that that is the normal way to do the job and everyone should do that all the time and that every route has a fair time allowance.

rod

Retired 22 years
Can you still "NI 1" businesses that are closed? That would make more sense than missed or future.