TERMINATED: Walking across a stopped belt!!

thebrownbox

Interesting.. at my hub many have walked on the belt to cross it including my supervisor who has also walked up the slide.

I do know a driver that did cross over a stopped belt and he told his loader he got in trouble for that the next day.

UPS Lifer

Interesting.. at my hub many have walked on the belt to cross it including my supervisor who has also walked up the slide.

I do know a driver that did cross over a stopped belt and he told his loader he got in trouble for that the next day.

WOW!
This just boggles my concept of safety when I hear these comments.

First of all - UPS has employed the services of Keter for how many years now???? As long as I can remember conveyor securing and lockout have been part of that audit. Keter deals with compliance issues and is an independent verification of processes and procedures.

I know there are posters out here that are on Safety Committees and know what I am talking about.

Based on some of these posts - a lot of you employees say this is just "business as usual". It does not sound like some of the posters have any idea what conveyor securing & lockout is.

I have worked in or have been responsible for 20-30 facilities and visited dozens of others. This is not a localized process for me. I was point man for the district during Corporate Compliance audits. These processes are corporate wide. Results out of the norm are reviewed with the Management Committee. So this is a big big deal!

Either the posters here are brand new employees or they have not been trained or they work in very obscure locations well away from the district or management does not believe in holding people accountable for compliance issues.

Compliance issues will get a center, district or corporate into the news as fast as anything you can think of. Compliance covers, safety, environmental, vehicular, aviation and HR processes, procedures and regulations. (I am sure I am leaving something out!)

Besides the fundamental human importance; ... dealing with the regulatory agencies who inspect and audit for compliance and levy heavy fines for non-compliance can ruin a company's reputation and pocketbook for years to come. This is why the company expects the employees to have a working knowledge or as the company calls DOK - depth of knowledge.

Why do I seem to be going overboard on this?

I was pretty passionate about compliance because I felt that the processes that came from these assessments could actually save lives in an emergency OR might prevent a life threatening emergency. I also cared (and still do) about the reputation of the company.

thebrownbox

You know what's really going to make your head spin is I've seen my supervisor walk up the slide while stuff was coming down on the belt.. NO way ever would I go up.. last peak some idiot put a tire on the belt not in a tote and it came rolling down and almost took someone out on the belt.

over9five

Staff member
Speaking of tires....

Why do people loading trailers put them on the end right side up????

As soon as you pull off the dock, they roll off the back. Talk about a good chance of killing someone!

all ya gotta do is lie them down.....

Actually guys there is training on not walking on belts. The only time you can walk on a belt is BMW. Break a jam. Move diverter. Walk the belt to check for packages.

klein

Für Meno :)
I really wish you luck ! You should by all means get your job back. But I don't trust the Union either.
But, definilty if all fails, you'll get Unemployment benifits, since it wasn't your fault to get fired.
You didn't do it on purpose.

I still believe UPS is out there , with a "firing squad" to be more cost effective.
How is your center doing ? Too little work ? - If so, I'm right.
And ofcourse with your seniority, you on top wage....
They rather replace you with a new young one, with less money and benifits.
I sure hope the Union does it's job and keeps you there !
It's awlful, to do your best all these years, and then the thank-you is... NOTHING !

My heart and soul is with you !
You should win this !

Ramned

Hmmmm.... I pretty much have the safety quizzes memorized by now and I can't recall any statements about walking across a stopped belt. Let's see here... There is training on the steps to stop and secure a belt, but that doesn't at all address your issue. There is the question on who can unsecure a belt after it has been secured, but that also doesn't apply to this situation. What training have we received to inform us to not walk across a stopped belt?

I was told in my first classes that only the person who stopped the belt is permitted to get on the belt and restart it.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I was told in my first classes that only the person who stopped & secured the belt is permitted to get on the belt and restart it.
Very good that you've learned this. It's kind of nit-picking, but the belt controls need to be secured before anyone gets on it. There are several different ways they can be secured, hopefully they picked one method and used it consistently throughout your building.