Termination Due to Unreported Accident

bbsam

Staff member
Sad, but true. This company plays favorites so much it's sickening.
Maybe. What does the disciplinary code say? "...up to and including..."? If so, them that leaves alot to play with inside the constraints of the agreed to contract.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Upstate my gut feeling is she will be back. Was it a driveway she should have walked into? I try not to back as much as possible now. Management hates going with me because of the roads and how much I walk off stops. Forget about 407- he's a lost soul without stink. They aren't team tagging on you atleast.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The company has certainly changed over time. When we used to fuel our own cars after each day there were part-timers working at the pumps who would have a can of brown paint with a brush at the ready. While refueling, we would point out offending scratches and such that happened before our day caused by lineups or during our day. It was well known and accepted by management and was taken care of right then and there with a few quick brush strokes.
You been around a while then!
That went by the wayside in the 80's and for a good reason.
Incredibly wasteful.

What the world needs is a nice dark brown aluminum.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Sounds good to me.

Talked to her last night. She has written a letter which the shop steward has forwarded to our BA. She is hoping that the center manager will review the incident and reduce the termination to a two week unpaid suspension. She is a good employee who made a mistake.
From what you said, there was obviously some damage to the truck....what was her reasoning for not reporting it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate my gut feeling is she will be back. Was it a driveway she should have walked into? I try not to back as much as possible now. Management hates going with me because of the roads and how much I walk off stops. Forget about 407- he's a lost soul without stink. They aren't team tagging on you atleast.

This was on a county run that she was very familiar with so I am sure she had been down that driveway before. Walking off driveways on a country run gets old really quick.

C

chuchu

This was on a county run that she was very familiar with so I am sure she had been down that driveway before. Walking off driveways on a country run gets old really quick.
So does sitting in a hearing for supidity.
No doubt a poster case for a good pretrip.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
it gets very old very quicky,BUT......I never have to worry about damaging the company;s nor the customers property when i walk the stops. IMO worrying about damage gets older quicker

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
it gets very old very quicky,BUT......I never have to worry about damaging the company;s nor the customers property when i walk the stops. IMO worrying about damage gets older quicker

You can't walk off many of the driveways on most routes I run. There is one driveway that comes to mind that is a mile and a half long out in the woods off an already 2 1/2 mile long dirt road extension. If you tried to walk that off--especially in the winter with the ice and snow you could easily fall and get hurt out in the dark woods in freezing temperatures and not be found for hours. Also, if you were able to safely traverse these driveways on foot without incident you'd still be in the office for bringing back a hundred stops that you couldn't get to for spending all night out walking in the woods.

Squint

No more work for me!
I hope your BA.... has enough sense, not to present that to the company.

An unreported accident is bad enough....

But, to reduce it to writing.... admitting it ??

Bad move.

-Bug-

Agreed, I thought we went over this and no hourly should ever sign anything. Doesn't surprise me that Upstate had the chance to tell this driver this but didn't.

bbsam

Staff member
Agreed, I thought we went over this and no hourly should ever sign anything. Doesn't surprise me that Upstate had the chance to tell this driver this but didn't.
What good would it do for Upstate to tell her that? She had already done it. It's not like Upstate was her steward or legal counsel.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"I thought we went over this...."

What good would it do for Upstate to tell her that? She had already done it. It's not like Upstate was her steward or legal counsel.

She is working with our shop steward and BA who both advised her to do this. She is also an adult capable of making her own decision(s).

The talk on Friday is that she may be out of work for an extended period of time.

C

chuchu

"I thought we went over this...."

She is working with our shop steward and BA who both advised her to do this. She is also an adult capable of making her own decision(s).

The talk on Friday is that she may be out of work for an extended period of time.
She made her "adult decision" when she decided to not report the accident.

Z

ZQXC

Sounds good to me.

Talked to her last night. She has written a letter which the shop steward has forwarded to our BA. She is hoping that the center manager will review the incident and reduce the termination to a two week unpaid suspension. She is a good employee who made a mistake.

She made two mistakes. The second one is much greater than the first.