Termination

Know someone that was terminated because a customer called in and said an object was struck at the place being picked up from. When confronted by the supervisor, the driver was shown pics of the trailer but hadn't realized that any damage had been done before confronted about it. Driver let the supervisor know that he/she didn't know of any damage that had been caused but was still terminated anyway.

browner89

Did the driver hit something, know about it, and not fess up, then was later confronted about it?

Fessing up probably gets him a paid vacation, not saying anything because he didn't think there was damage or that it wasn't noticeable, good luck getting your job back.

Overpaid Union Thug

In these cases it seems like the customer and UPS should have to prove that we hit and damaged something before a driver is walked out the door. And it is possible to hit something and not know it. Especially in a loud ass P700 diesel truck.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Once, the center got a call that I hit a post by their dock. Customer said they saw me do it. Problem was, I wasn't there that day!

In reality, somebody hit it and they assumed it was us.

upschuck

I had a customer accuse me of hitting a neighbors car, took the truck out to scene, didn't match up, and the damage already had rust on it the day after the alleged accident. Never heard a word after.

My supplement states that for termination
failure to report an accident that the driver had or should have had knowledge of;
so the employer needs to prove that requirement.

O

OLDMAN3

Did the driver hit something, know about it, and not fess up, then was later confronted about it?

Fessing up probably gets him a paid vacation, not saying anything because he didn't think there was damage or that it wasn't noticeable, good luck getting your job back.
"Fessing up" after denying an accident is the surest way of being terminated permanently.

O

OLDMAN3

If it is proven that he truly did not know that he had caused the damage he will get his job back after an unpaid vacation.
He does not have to prove he did not know about it.
It is on UPS to prove he should have known about it...A huge difference.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I am guessing that they terminated him for not reporting an accident that he should have had knowledge about.

The key words are "should have had knowledge about."

They will match up the vehicle and the damage and show that his vehicle did the damage. If they cannot prove it, he will be back with backpay.

If his vehicle matches up with the damage, marks on his vehicle also, they can fire him for an unreported accident.

But now they have to prove that he should have had knowledge of it. If it was a minor dent or scrape, it is very possible that the driver did not know he did it.

Should be back with backpay.

If half the trailer was taken out or some other kind of major damage, UPS will say that the driver should have known about it. It does not matter that the driver denied doing it or not.

If there is compelling evidence that he did it, and a typical driver would have known he did it, then it could get ugly.

Sounds like it was somewhat minor and it is very likely that the driver had no idea he did it. Should be back with backpay, or at least a mini unpaid vacation.

Since he already denied doing it, it he did do it and fesses up now, it could get ugly as well. He may not come back because he now has 2 cardinal sins against him. Failing to report an accident and dishonesty.

Either way, I hope he has at least a decent BA.

J

jibbs

I'm pretty sure if you was to hit something you would feel a jerk bump or something

Negative.

I was rear-ended on the highway several years back. I had no idea until the little black lady that love-tapped my bumper chased me down and caught up to me a few lights later and started explaining window-to-window at the light.

We pulled to the shoulder and sure enough she left a nice, fist-sized dent on the outside corner of my bumper-- right underneath the taillight. ("Dent" might be the wrong word.... the corner of my bumper looked like it just caved in, like a crushed egg almost)

I was amazed she chased me down, tbh. Probably the only time I'll ever refuse to take another driver's insurance info for an accident they caused, lol.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Know someone that was terminated because a customer called in and said an object was struck at the place being picked up from. When confronted by the supervisor, the driver was shown pics of the trailer but hadn't realized that any damage had been done before confronted about it. Driver let the supervisor know that he/she didn't know of any damage that had been caused but was still terminated anyway.

Without knowing the supplement you are covered under;

Other members posting advice or opinions, is pure speculation.

The comments are well intended....

But, the person you "know" should seek the tutelage of their Local Union.

-Bug-

UPSmechanicinblue

Have to remember there is telematics in the car. Example if you make a delivery, get into your car bump something and get out and look then take off again. They will know something went on versus you make a delivery , go to leave and maybe bump something but you continue one. Your story has to match exactly or they will investigate even more.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Have to remember there is telematics in the car.

Yawn.

Your story has to match exactly or they will investigate even more.

Oops....

Ran over and killed someone in the UPS truck.

UPS is insured for that ?

Well, I'll move on to the next job.

I can spend all day texting my friends.

And hey, I got Bluetooth....

Nothing better to do, than spend all day talking about useless BS. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
In these cases it seems like the customer and UPS should have to prove that we hit and damaged something before a driver is walked out the door. [/B]And it is possible to hit something and not know it. Especially in a loud ass P700 diesel truck.

Nah. Guilty until proven innocent is the ups way.

Years ago when I was a split driver in bland suburban conformia I had a customer (guy) call up screaming at my boss that I hit his car. My boss was cursing at me to no end, saying he would take my job, etc., etc.

Two hours later guy calls back my boss and tells him it was damaged by his wife and she had yet to tell him about it.

I'm still waiting on an apology 10 years later. The supervisor has since retired.