Termination

Mike3434

Hello, I have questions that need answers. On Friday I was terminated for not filing a grievance. In October I written up for attendance. On the disciplinary action it was Intent to Discharge. I thought I filled a grievance on it but I didn't. The day I missed I was in the hospital and turned in the doctors excuse. I still got wrote up and I feel like I shouldn't have been written up for being in the hospital. I'm filing a grievance for wrongful termination. Any chance I go to panel and plead case and can get my job back. This came at a very terrible time. I feel like I have been a target after filing a grievance of PAY shortage. Please help me out on what to do and what to expect! Thanks!

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Hello, I have questions that need answers. On Friday I was terminated for not filing a grievance. In October I written up for attendance. On the disciplinary action it was Intent to Discharge. I thought I filled a grievance on it but I didn't. The day I missed I was in the hospital and turned in the doctors excuse. I still got wrote up and I feel like I shouldn't have been written up for being in the hospital. I'm filing a grievance for wrongful termination. Any chance I go to panel and plead case and can get my job back. This came at a very terrible time. I feel like I have been a target after filing a grievance of PAY shortage. Please help me out on what to do and what to expect! Thanks!

You don't get fired for not filing a grievance, you get fired for a response to a disciplinary action you were held accountable for that you failed to grieve. Thought you filed but didn't? Too late for that now.

You don't just get fired for attendance right off the bat. It sounds like you have a problem going to work. Don't respond back with excuses, YOU DO, otherwise you would have learned from the verbal warning, written warning, suspension, and finally termination. Doesn't sound good but stranger things have happened. Good luck to ya.

Mike3434

Thing is I haven't gotten a written warning, verbal warning or suspension. Straight to termination. While I was in the office the words came out the supervisor mouth and the union steward wrote it down. "You are being terminated for not filing a grievance on the write up you were given."

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike3434

Anytime I have missed it's because I was in the hospital and they were all excused. I don't have perfect health and my health problems are what makes Me miss when I do miss

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Anytime I have missed it's because I was in the hospital and they were all excused. I don't have perfect health and my health problems are what makes Me miss when I do miss
Are you a seasonal or still in your initial 30-40 days>? If you are then, good luck sounds like you will need to find other places that can accommodate your health issues.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
File a grievance now and bypass the steward if needed.

Sounds like your steward might be a driver and not be that interested in a part timers issues.

If you have never been termed before, you almost certainly will get your job back.

Learn from this and grieve any disciplinary action in the future.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I was terminated for not filing a grievance.

Correct. You did not grieve your termination within the allotted time frame. Thus, you are terminated.

You don't get fired for not filing a grievance

It is the wording. He was fired because he did not file a grievance for wrongful termination. So he is correct in saying that he was fired for not filing a grievance (requesting his termination be reversed.)

You don't just get fired for attendance right off the bat.

Agreed. Even attendance is progressive discipline. Warning letter, suspension, discharge. Unless, as mentioned below, they were no call no shows.

The day I missed I was in the hospital and turned in the doctors excuse.

A doctors note does not excuse an absence. It still goes on you record as an occurrence.

I still got wrote up and I feel like I shouldn't have been written up for being in the hospital.

Apparently, this day put you over the allowed limit for occurrences, you have had previous discipline for attendance, or you never bothered to call them on this day, or that you missed more than 1 day, I don't know, you never elaborated.

I'm filing a grievance for wrongful termination.

Are you actually terminated? Did they tell you to no longer come in? If so, file a grievance now.

Any chance I go to panel and plead case and can get my job back.

There is a chance. Especially this time of year. They need people, plain and simple.

Don't be surprised, though, if they rule your grievance untimely and don't even hear it and your termination sticks.

DOK

Is there any way you can take some fmla time to get your health straightened out?