Terminations in 804 begin: 20 drivers fired Monday

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
From: http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/q...-250-queens-drivers-protest-article-1.1742718

UPS has delivered a special message to 250 of its Queens drivers: You’re fired!

The Atlanta-based company is booting 250 of its unionized drivers from its Maspeth facility because they walked off the job for 90 minutes Feb. 26 to protest the dismissal of a long-time employee, UPS told the Daily News.

Twenty employees were terminated Monday after their shifts — and the remaining 230 notified that they’ll be canned as soon as replacements are trained, a company spokesman said.

“They just called me in ... (and) said, ‘Effective immediately, you are no longer on the payroll,’” said Steve Curcio, 41, a 20-year employee earning $32 an hour.

The article is also posted on 804's website.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
804 is bringing to light the tax breaks/city incentives UPS gets as a way to bring political pressure on the company and probably enlightened NY Daily News on a few things. It's a valid tactic.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I have a serious question and want an opinion. They fire 20 drivers Monday, and they are going to fire more. Why would the rest of the guys work if they know they will be fired? Is it because these guys will get their jobs back and this would just add to the fire? Maybe get caught on refusal to work, or something like that? I mean if it were me and I knew I was going to be fired I would just call in until they let me go.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I have a serious question and want an opinion. They fire 20 drivers Monday, and they are going to fire more. Why would the rest of the guys work if they know they will be fired? Is it because these guys will get their jobs back and this would just add to the fire? Maybe get caught on refusal to work, or something like that? I mean if it were me and I knew I was going to be fired I would just call in until they let me go.

In my opinion, the company shouldn't have been able to take the 20 drivers off the job and should have waited for a decision to be rendered via the grievance process. As such, I think 804 can now make the argument that the company isn't following the grievance procedure (as they did on Feb. 26) and then provide a legal 72 hours strike notice to the company.

bbsam

Staff member
In my opinion, the company shouldn't have been able to take the 20 drivers off the job and should have waited for a decision to be rendered via the grievance process. As such, I think 804 can now make the argument that the company isn't following the grievance procedure (as they did on Feb. 26) and then provide a legal 72 hours strike notice to the company.
Sounds like an orchestrated dance for both sides to save face.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

went to the training area today and saw more than 30 driver trainees in class so yes they will be firing all of us soon enough

Let's see how well those trainees do first. We all know this job isn't as easy as the general public-and even many on the inside-believes it is. And the workload is going to be even more stressful than before.

bbsam

Staff member
I still think the union should orchestrate a full blown strike against the company 72 hours from 8am tomorrow. If the mass firing of 250 members without due process isn't cause what is?

Irishman Collins

Where in the Hell, is the I.B.T.? If this happened when senior was general president we would all be walking untill our brothers and sisters were returned to work! This is pathetic that these guys are being hung out to dry!

Sent using BrownCafe App