Terminations in 804 begin: 20 drivers fired Monday

bbsam

Staff member
What would you like them to do?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Strike. Either for illegal mass termination or for the causes given by the wild cat strikers. I think the company wants to stand down. They don't want to put the replacements on the street but they will unless the union steps in. The company needs the threat of a strike to justify backing down.

Ouch

Scabs cover during a sanctioned work stoppage. These are permanent replacements.

Sent using BrownCafe App
You know of something set in stone that we dont? They should strike on the 20 getting fired and not all. From what I've read I haven't seen the grievance procedure followed on these terminations. Did I miss it in another post?

Ouch

Can they not contact the labor board for help with the lack of union representation? I believe they are being hung out to dry as some of you do.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Now, if the International would rattle a bit, maybe the company would bend a bit more? Somebody call the country club!

Irishman Collins

Dude, if the original strike was indeed, a wildcat, however noble, these guys are new union guys.
New Union guys are you freaking kidding me! Here is the truth, if there is blame in this scenario it belongs to the officials of 804. The members were simply putting faith in their leaders. If 804 made a mistake, then so be it, but our brothers and sisters who simply were showing solidarity shouldn't suffer the consequences of losing their jobs. As far as any new guy, well they can go friend... Themselves. They are scabs in my opinion, plain and simple!

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
What bothers me is the silence from IBT. They should either support or condemn the local's actions instead of just sitting on the sideline as if they are afraid to take a stand.

No because a strike wouldn't happen.
I think both sides will sweet it out for a while and in the end nobody loses their job. As much as we want to debate this on a message board this won't be 1% of the decision process. A lot of armchair quarterbacking with a lot of behind the scenes things that we can't see.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm thinking that if bbsam wants to hang out and rabble-rouse on the brown side of the forum, maybe he should take off the moderator hat.
No. There isn't going to be a strike. UPS has a strong hand and they've gone all in with it. The only problem is that "winning" in this instance is bad for them and their customers. They need the IBT to threaten a strike so that "for the good of our valued customers", Atlanta can back down and get things back to normal. As bold as their statements are, I think they'd love an "out" about now. Everybody's had their chance to puff out their chests and parade around with bluster. Further idiotic harm to either side is fully optional.

Karma...

No. There isn't going to be a strike. UPS has a strong hand and they've gone all in with it. The only problem is that "winning" in this instance is bad for them and their customers. They need the IBT to threaten a strike so that "for the good of our valued customers", Atlanta can back down and get things back to normal. As bold as their statements are, I think they'd love an "out" about now. Everybody's had their chance to puff out their chests and parade around with bluster. Further idiotic harm to either side is fully optional.
Thats a possibility...In the event that fails is 804 willing to locate their terminated members into other 804 companies ?...Ive seen & heard of that being done in the past.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Wally, you hit the nail on the head brother and I hope they are treated like scabs!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Do scabs or TCDs pay dues? These guys will. By virtue of that fact, they will now be part of the union. These guys are now going to be needed to help keep 804 strong, they aren't going anywhere. Talk about dividing the union. ...

804 mentioned the blame should not be placed on the 250. Neither should these guys get any of that.