Terminations in 804 begin: 20 drivers fired Monday

'Lord Brown's bidding'

This is now a national story: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/0...rivers-in-new-york-over-walk-out-report-says/

Hoffa or Hall need to be in front of a camera ASAP, even if all they do is blow a lot of hot air. Even if 804 is a "TDU" local, they're still Teamsters and the reasons they went on strike affect everyone working at UPS across the country.

If UPS is just waiting for the IBT to put on airs about a strike, allowing them to back off this hard line stance, what reasons would the IBT have for delaying? Any benefits for the IBT?

bluebiker

Maybe IBT is afraid of the repercussions of taking a stand if they lose.

It seems to me if the IBT doesn't take a stand they're losing anyway. They're just giving up, what's it gonna be like in 4yrs when the negotiate with the company?

Hoffa (or his successor), "Yes Mr Davis (or his successor), anything you want, concessions, pay cuts, whatever, we'll give you."

Seems like now would be when Jimmy Jr. should exercise some leadership.

bbsam

Staff member
If you go back and reread the post and who it is quoted to you will see that it was directed at a fed ex ground driver. It wasent directed at yiu in the least. I was implying that the fedex guy was trying to stir it up in order to grab volume.
that's what Fedex sales would do...I imagine they are talking to shippers as we speak.

bbsam

Staff member
If UPS is just waiting for the IBT to put on airs about a strike, allowing them to back off this hard line stance, what reasons would the IBT have for delaying? Any benefits for the IBT?
same reasons they've had for letting the company trample the.contract for years?

lovcgars

Ex-Ups
By the way...
My question is: How did one BA get 250 drivers to walk away from the building?

1. They were all fed up with the harassment and agreed it had to stop even if it took drastic measures?

2. They identifies with the pain the original fired driver was going thru for unjust actions by UPS management?

3. This BA had a tremendous amount of credibility because of his track record standing up for employees?

4. ALL OF THE ABOVE.

They think because they have union representation, they are above reproach. I'm a ex-Ups driver terminated 13 years ago at the age of 33. My local union used me as a bargaining chip to further their cause. Unions have run their course, they are dinosaurs. My advice to anyone at UPS would be, come to work, do your job go home. Very few places can you go to work, make 70k a year and not have to answer to someone even in your spare time. In the real world if you walk off the job, you are terminated....what would make these people any different. Please don't tell me about how hard they work and they are fed up....quit, find something else...UPS is trying to run a business. The owners of my business would laugh me out of the room if I constantly brought up how much revenue we generated and how they treat me and pay me should be tied to that number. Want some of that money...become a risk taker...don't hide behind a union.

Johney

All this talk about going on strike for these guys. I'm all for it (if it was legal), but no one knows whether it was a legal walk out or not right? Legal walkout? Back them up for sure. Illegal? Sorry you are on your own. We all need to stop and take a breath and see how this ends up playing out. Legal walkout or illegal? Let the lawyers figure it out there surely has to be plenty involved at this point.

Johney

It seems Liam claimed it was a legal walkout and the drivers trusted him. Now its up to the lawyers to decide their fate.
I sure would like to see the whole speech this guy gave to those drivers. Word for word, because in just the three minutes I saw he said three times they all may get fired for this.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Who's going to treat them like scabs? They're going to make up 2/3 of that building. They're part timers who are being offered the coveted driver gig, not casuals off the street.

What happens if this takes months to be final?

Let's say that UPS has hired over 100 replacement drivers and most have made book.

Then an arbiter or a judge rules that UPS violated the contract and orders UPS to re-instate the fired drivers.

How will UPS deal with about 100 more drivers than they need? Layoffs?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

They think because they have union representation, they are above reproach. I'm a ex-Ups driver terminated 13 years ago at the age of 33. My local union used me as a bargaining chip to further their cause. Unions have run their course, they are dinosaurs. My advice to anyone at UPS would be, come to work, do your job go home. Very few places can you go to work, make 70k a year and not have to answer to someone even in your spare time. In the real world if you walk off the job, you are terminated....what would make these people any different. Please don't tell me about how hard they work and they are fed up....quit, find something else...UPS is trying to run a business. The owners of my business would laugh me out of the room if I constantly brought up how much revenue we generated and how they treat me and pay me should be tied to that number. Want some of that money...become a risk taker...don't hide behind a union.

I am tired of hearing about the "real world", aka the work place without unions. In the real world people have no leverage against greedy execs who will do anything for another buck. Thus, when the execs take away benefits and reduce wages - things that may have been there when the person first hired on with company- there is no leverage for the individuals whose lives have been turned upside down to say, "Hey! This isn't what we agreed to when I started here. We need to talk about this, or you will suffer the repercussions. " And the retort is, "Well, there are plenty others who will take the job, so if you don't like it then quit."

As a part of society businesses should give more consideration to things other than a record quarter in profits; they will not go bankrupt if they do so. Short of government intervention, unions are the solution.

mancini

was this an approved walk out/ strike? If not all of them should be fired for job abandonment. I don't feel sorry for any of them. I sure as hell wouldn't have walked out unless told to do so from the teamsters.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Let's say that UPS has hired over 100 replacement drivers and most have made book.

Then an arbiter or a judge rules that UPS violated the contract and orders UPS to re-instate the fired drivers.

I'm sure you hope the "scabs" would get laid off. But I imagine, if the hole goes that far, the replacement drivers are sent back to PT. As they are permanent members of the union just like the drivers.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

was this an approved walk out/ strike? If not all of them should be fired for job abandonment. I don't feel sorry for any of them. I sure as hell wouldn't have walked out unless told to do so from the teamsters.

They were told to walk out by "the Teamsters", their business agent. Problem was he may have done so rashly, without the backing of his leaders at the local office.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I'm sure you hope the "scabs" would get laid off. But I imagine, worst case scenario, the replacement drivers are sent back to PT. As they are permanent members of the union just like the drivers.

A good portion of them are probably needed anyway. The strike gave those CMs a way to increase staffing to adequate levels without drawing the ire of higher ups. Now with these guys trained it will be easier to keep them around, vs asking to train new drivers when needed.

CharleyHustle

I think, this is way down on the list of things to worry about. If you need an answer thou, I'd be willing to bet that UPS went over every possible scenario before they acted on Monday. Can we say the same for the union?

lovcgars

Ex-Ups
I am tired of hearing about the "real world", aka the work place without unions. In the real world people have no leverage against greedy execs who will do anything for another buck. Thus, when the execs take away benefits and reduce wages - things that may have been there when the person first hired on with company- there is no leverage for the individuals whose lives have been turned upside down to say, "Hey! This isn't what we agreed to when I started here. We need to talk about this, or you will suffer the repercussions. " And the retort is, "Well, there are plenty others who will take the job, so if you don't like it then quit."

As a part of society businesses should give more consideration to things other than a record quarter in profits; they will not go bankrupt if they do so. Short of government intervention, unions are the solution.

You may not like the "real world" quote, however it's true. You say greedy execs are to blame, what makes them greedy? Some people on the outside of UPS would say you're greedy; over $30 an hour pay plus overtime, health insurance, dental insurance, pension....sounds good to me. I have never seen people complain more about their jobs and then still work there. I loved working at UPS, enjoyed all my friends there and the sense of accomplishment, however there were always the people who stood in the parking lot for an hour after they clocked out to complain about their job....again, move on find something else.....you work for UPS, you don't own the business...it is what it is. What other things should UPS give more consideration, they are a for profit business.....if they went out of business....where else would you be able to find a job delivering boxes and still receive your current benefit package?? FedEx?? Post office?? Anyway in the real world we are usually all a collective bargaining group of one...that's all I need, then I only have myself to blame.