Terrible first day

flonkas1

If this is in the wrong area, I apologize. Hopefully a moderator can move it to the correct area.

I just got hired on as a loader. Spent half of the shift in a classroom. As our trainer is guiding us to the work floor, guys are yelling "fresh meat on the line" and some guy shoulder checked me. Felt like I just came to a new prison.
So I get introduced to a sup, he tells me to pack this cart and bring it to the p42 belt on the other side of the warehouse. He didn't even show me where it is. So I start to push the cart, (while looking for this p42 belt) and the people driving those little cars were basically cutting me off. I had to stand there and wait while they did there thing so I could get by.
After that, I was instructed to stand there in front of the belt and make sure the boxes don't get stuck. There were no boxes getting stuck. A worker told me "we don't need someone clearing the belt, do some work". I'm just doing what the supervisor told me...Then a different loader scowled at me and said something. So I stood there doing a job that didn't need to be done for the rest of the shift . I worked 6 hours so I'm pretty sure that's overtime for a part time worker , at least there's that. I don't think I'm going to stay , anyone have any advice ?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If this is in the wrong area, I apologize. Hopefully a moderator can move it to the correct area.

I just got hired on as a loader. Spent half of the shift in a classroom. As our trainer is guiding us to the work floor, guys are yelling "fresh meat on the line" and some guy shoulder checked me. Felt like I just came to a new prison.
So I get introduced to a sup, he tells me to pack this cart and bring it to the p42 belt on the other side of the warehouse. He didn't even show me where it is. So I start to push the cart, (while looking for this p42 belt) and the people driving those little cars were basically cutting me off. I had to stand there and wait while they did there thing so I could get by.
After that, I was instructed to stand there in front of the belt and make sure the boxes don't get stuck. There were no boxes getting stuck. A worker told me "we don't need someone clearing the belt, do some work". I'm just doing what the supervisor told me...Then a different loader scowled at me and said something. So I stood there doing a job that didn't need to be done for the rest of the shift . I worked 6 hours so I'm pretty sure that's overtime for a part time worker , at least there's that. I don't think I'm going to stay , anyone have any advice ?
Toughen up.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

You have to grow a thick skin here. Ask questions, learn as much as you can. Don't let idiots get in your head. They were all nervous newbies one day too.

ibleedbrown

yea it does feel like a prison nowadays when you're new, unfortunately a lot of employees act like prisoners miserable w their lives and want everyone around them to be miserable too. my best advice is to find the biggest, toughest guy in your dock and beat the living hell out of him in front of everyone, no one will mess w u after that.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Oh yea.....enjoy your minimum wage OT (first week of training is paid at minimum wage)

Want some advice? Show some friggin eagerness and initiative! If you'll told to do something...do it. But if you're not busy...offer help to a loader next to you. Appear eager to work hard....don't just stand around with your thumb up your butt waiting for a sup to tell you what to do next, while your co-workers are busting their humps.

And yes....it can be a tad like a jail....hahaha..."fresh meat".

Last edited:

flonkas1

Oh yea.....enjoy your minimum wage OT (first week of training is paid at minimum wage)

Want some advice? Show some friggin eagerness and initiative! If you'll told to do something...do it. But if you're not busy...offer help to a loader next to you. Appear eager to work hard....don't just stand around with your thumb up your butt waiting for a sup to tell you what to do next, while your co-workers are busting their humps.

I didn't think I should do something other then what the supervisor told me to do.. how can I help load without a scanner ?

flonkas1

Ask the guy if he needs help....it's as simple as that.

You don't think I did ?? I was searching for something to do, I asked a ton of people, almost all of them said ask the supervisor. Id love to be able to do the job that I was hired for. But apparently they only need "fast people loading"
It's going to take me a little while to become fast, same with every job.

Last edited:

Box Ox

Don't let idiots with small D syndrome get into your head. Chances are they're not well-liked anyway. People tend to avoid rather than confront them because they just want to do their jobs and go home.

The "do some work" treatment might come with seeing new hires come and go so often. Some of them just can't handle the work, and that's ok. But while that's determined, the experienced workers have to pick up any slack on top of their already heavy assignments.

The only real way to get respect is to do your job as best you can, make your 30, show you're not going anywhere and help coworkers when and where you can.

I think most new hires do go through a "What am I doing here?" phase that lasts a few months. I certainly did. Their bodies haven't adjusted and benefits are a year away. It gets better if you're determined to stick with it and hang in there.

You don't think I did ?? I was searching for something to do, I asked a ton of people. Id love to be able to do the job that I was hired for. But apparently they only need "fast people loading"
It's going to take me a week or so to become really fast and efficient. That's the same with every job.

Only do exactly what's asked of you when you're in your 30 days as best you can. You're not expected to fill in wherever needed until you've been trained. It'll take you more than a few weeks to become truly fast. Takes time. But don't say that to any supervisors who are jawing you while you're in your 30. Just your best.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Here it is paid at the normal rate.
how can I help load without a scanner ?
Not everybody in a trailer needs a scanner. You can easily do one person scans, the other stacks, or you just leave the scanner on the last packaged scan and alternate.
I was searching for something to do, I asked a ton of people, almost all of them said ask the supervisor.
Don't ask them what you should do. Ask them if they want help and then help them.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

And yes....it can be a tad like a jail....hahaha..."fresh meat".
The article I read about seasonals said that since ups is a federal contractor they must pay everyone $10.10 an hour now. Lol

moldsporh

Bring a large water bottle and a couple snacks.

Show up to work 5 min early, supress your frustrations.

After 30 days be glad you have a part time job with benefits.

UPS has a zero tolerance policy for workplace violence so just remember that.

Ups isn't for everyone, there's a TON of people waiting behind you on unemployment hoping you leave. You will always be a number to them so you need to make it your own and work for you.

If you come to work, do the job, ups will pay you. Otherwise someone else will fill your shoes.

Good luck.

km3

I sympathize with you as far as working as directed is concerned. Insubordination never looks good, especially when you're still in training. If somebody asks for help, do what you can for them though.

When you see those carts coming, just move to the side and wait if there's only room for one of you. Same goes for package cars. You're not going to get in trouble for waiting a minute or two for an irreg cart to get out of the way.

As for other employees, some of them are just messing with you. The others may have had their spirits shattered by this job, so they're pissed off at everyone and everything. We have a few of them around here. :)

Try to stick it out. It takes a while, but it'll get better. The benefits will be worth it if you can manage to stick around, and the opportunity to become a driver making $30+/hr is great incentive to stick around as well.

In my hub, everybody thinks about quitting within the first few weeks. I even considered walking out without even bothering to punch out a few times. The approximate length of employment for most new hires around here is about 3 weeks. Week 1: Cornerstone/classroom training. Week 2: On the job training with a trainer to help you out. Week 3: First week in the trailers alone. Week 4: Stop showing up for work.

ibleedbrown

I sympathize with you as far as working as directed is concerned. Insubordination never looks good, especially when you're still in training. If somebody asks for help, do what you can for them though.

When you see those carts coming, just move to the side and wait if there's only room for one of you. Same goes for package cars. You're not going to get in trouble for waiting a minute or two for an irreg cart to get out of the way.

As for other employees, some of them are just messing with you. The others may have had their spirits shattered by this job, so they're :censored2: off at everyone and everything. We have a few of them around here. :)

Try to stick it out. It takes a while, but it'll get better. The benefits will be worth it if you can manage to stick around, and the opportunity to become a driver making $30+/hr is great incentive to stick around as well.

In my hub, everybody thinks about quitting within the first few weeks. I even considered walking out without even bothering to punch out a few times. The approximate length of employment for most new hires around here is about 3 weeks. Week 1: Cornerstone/classroom training. Week 2: On the job training with a trainer to help you out. Week 3: First week in the trailers alone. Week 4: Stop showing up for work.

week 5 mcdonalds lol!!!!!

flonkas1

As for other employees, some of them are just messing with you. The others may have had their spirits shattered by this job, so they're :censored2: off at everyone and everything. We have a few of them around here. :)

I appreciate this reply , thank you. As well as the others who provided good advice as well.