Terrible first day

Stopher

Get tough dude and don't take crap. U gotta earn your place here. You've walked into a different world and it can be a hostile environment. It's kind of a way of weeding out the weak cause you pretty much have be tough as nails to survive here. I've seen things on the inside that would make the American public drop their jaws. Toughten up pony boy and you'll be golden.

BrownArmy

A driver just made book in my Center.

I shook his hand and said, "I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or give you condolences..."

If this is in the wrong area, I apologize. Hopefully a moderator can move it to the correct area.

I just got hired on as a loader. Spent half of the shift in a classroom. As our trainer is guiding us to the work floor, guys are yelling "fresh meat on the line" and some guy shoulder checked me. Felt like I just came to a new prison.
So I get introduced to a sup, he tells me to pack this cart and bring it to the p42 belt on the other side of the warehouse. He didn't even show me where it is. So I start to push the cart, (while looking for this p42 belt) and the people driving those little cars were basically cutting me off. I had to stand there and wait while they did there thing so I could get by.
After that, I was instructed to stand there in front of the belt and make sure the boxes don't get stuck. There were no boxes getting stuck. A worker told me "we don't need someone clearing the belt, do some work". I'm just doing what the supervisor told me...Then a different loader scowled at me and said something. So I stood there doing a job that didn't need to be done for the rest of the shift . I worked 6 hours so I'm pretty sure that's overtime for a part time worker , at least there's that. I don't think I'm going to stay , anyone have any advice ?
4 years ago at 19 I started on the pre load. Sup greeted me at the metal detectors and sent me to the sort aisle. For the first few days it feels like a zoo. Guys screaming and yelling throughout the whole warehouse. Those were also the first few days I was hearing people yelling " string bean " ( was skinny as a rail at the time ) as I was busting my ass in the sort aisle. After it being repetitive I would leave work and feel like crap. After a good while you become one of the brothers yelling and trying to make the best of it. Now I'm a driver and I miss being inside because you're on your own. Don't sweat it but you must learn how to adapt and be thick skinned. Good luck.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
If this is in the wrong area, I apologize. Hopefully a moderator can move it to the correct area.

I just got hired on as a loader. Spent half of the shift in a classroom. As our trainer is guiding us to the work floor, guys are yelling "fresh meat on the line" and some guy shoulder checked me. Felt like I just came to a new prison.
So I get introduced to a sup, he tells me to pack this cart and bring it to the p42 belt on the other side of the warehouse. He didn't even show me where it is. So I start to push the cart, (while looking for this p42 belt) and the people driving those little cars were basically cutting me off. I had to stand there and wait while they did there thing so I could get by.
After that, I was instructed to stand there in front of the belt and make sure the boxes don't get stuck. There were no boxes getting stuck. A worker told me "we don't need someone clearing the belt, do some work". I'm just doing what the supervisor told me...Then a different loader scowled at me and said something. So I stood there doing a job that didn't need to be done for the rest of the shift . I worked 6 hours so I'm pretty sure that's overtime for a part time worker , at least there's that. I don't think I'm going to stay , anyone have any advice ?

3 steps to surviving your first 30 days.

Step 1. Thousand yard stare, apply this to everyone and anyone on your belt sups included.
Step 2. Hygiene, forget about it, it's not important anymore.
Step 3. Train yourself to have a twitch at all times.

Apply these methods and your golden, everyone will leave you alone.

Wayne05

3 steps to surviving your first 30 days.

Step 1. Thousand yard stare, apply this to everyone and anyone on your belt sups included.
Step 2. Hygiene, forget about it, it's not important anymore.
Step 3. Train yourself to have a twitch at all times.

Apply these methods and your golden, everyone will leave you alone.

Get a large half gallon or gallon water bottle and do your best to get to 300 pph. If you can keep up with the flow and don't have to run for water or get a potty break people generally leave you alone. The slower you work the more :censored2: you get.

ski or die

Ski or Die
I sympathize with you as far as working as directed is concerned. Insubordination never looks good, especially when you're still in training. If somebody asks for help, do what you can for them though.

When you see those carts coming, just move to the side and wait if there's only room for one of you. Same goes for package cars. You're not going to get in trouble for waiting a minute or two for an irreg cart to get out of the way.

As for other employees, some of them are just messing with you. The others may have had their spirits shattered by this job, so they're :censored2: off at everyone and everything. We have a few of them around here. :)

Try to stick it out. It takes a while, but it'll get better. The benefits will be worth it if you can manage to stick around, and the opportunity to become a driver making $30+/hr is great incentive to stick around as well.

In my hub, everybody thinks about quitting within the first few weeks. I even considered walking out without even bothering to punch out a few times. The approximate length of employment for most new hires around here is about 3 weeks. Week 1: Cornerstone/classroom training. Week 2: On the job training with a trainer to help you out. Week 3: First week in the trailers alone. Week 4: Stop showing up for work.
When I started the hubs were all full time. There was no classroom crap. They threw me in the trailers unloading day one. A friend of mine from high school had just got out of the Marines and was working with me. He lasted 2 weeks. Told me the Marines did not treat him this bad. I almost left at dinner break that first nite myself. Sucked it up and realize I had a family to take care of. Got my 30 years and beat feet out of there. You will go through a lot during your time. But the pension and benefits in retirement make up for it.

Get me a steward

Dude the guys that get mad at you for not working are those guys that kill themselves all day trying to keep supervisors happy. Tell em that you enjoy doing nothing standing there

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

I've never heard of union workers treating other guys like that. Guess it's different in a big center. But for less than six hours? I'd assume you're not getting pimped all over the cell block too like you're at a new prison so who cares? Hell, just do what you have to do and collect the check.

mattyk624

Sounds like the people in charge of getting you trained/familiarized are really :censored2:ty at their job. Don't be afraid to speak the truth if it's something that's actually a problem is the one thing I learned quick. As in asking where p42 belt is...or when someone spouts 'get to work', simply reply that you've been trained to do 0 things so far and ask if he's your supervisor (it's actually an acceptable question for a newbie to ask someone who's commanding him to do things, so he can't get even get mad). The other day I was asked by some manager I haven't seen before to sign out of my scanner and run recycle since our belt was slow (I'm only a month at UPS thusfar)...I said to him I don't know how to do either of those things, he kinda did some douchy eye-roll, and walked away. I'm a loader too and never had to sign out of my scanner b4...and we have other guys on the floor who take care of recycle....some things require training, so don't feel embarassed or ashamed to ask for help at first until you get the gist of things. In my case, the manager could've taken 5secs to show me how to logout of my scanner and referred me to a supe or someone more experienced to explain how recycle works...instead he took that time, and then some, to hunt down someone else when he could've made me a little better employee instead. Just do what you know how to do to the best of your ability and don't let other peoples' inadequacy, incompetence, misery, or big mouth discourage you. As a loader everyone says the first week is the hardest, and that's where the majority of people are likely to quit, but if you can make it past that you'll be okay. Good luck :cool:

i Misload Next Day Airs

You don't think I did ?? I was searching for something to do, I asked a ton of people, almost all of them said ask the supervisor. Id love to be able to do the job that I was hired for. But apparently they only need "fast people loading"
It's going to take me a little while to become fast, same with every job.

Stack the boxes for them and place them on the belt in front of the truck they're suppose to go in....... That helps out a loader a lot and cuts time down for all plus keeps the belt from getting jammed which the sups don't like....... Or if you wanna get back the people shoulder checking you or telling you to do something...... when no1 is looking toss a next day air into the wrong truck behind boxes it works every time

nystripe96

I don't think anyone's first day ever goes smoothly at UPS. It's new territory and a bit intimidating at first. It will get better. Loading is one of the least stressful jobs you can have if you're able to shrug off the nonsense