terrible vacation picks

just picked my a vac. got a week in feb. and one this april...
what a bunch of BS///////
its going to be 15 years until i get a summer pick

menotyou

bella amicizia
i guess your right thats one way to look at it.... I was hoping to at least get may this year though
I'm coming off of comp, and get no days this year. I'd be happy with what you have. I understand the seniority thing sucks right now, but it won't when its you getting all summer off.

I'm coming off of comp, and get no days this year. I'd be happy with what you have. I understand the seniority thing sucks right now, but it won't when its you getting all summer off.

In our local you are allowed a one time "buy back" of vacations per contract in situations exactly the same as yours. I was out a year in 02 and exercised this option to get my vacations. Might be worth a shot for you.

menotyou

bella amicizia
In our local you are allowed a one time "buy back" of vacations per contract in situations exactly the same as yours. I was out a year in 02 and exercised this option to get my vacations. Might be worth a shot for you.
Is that specified in your contract? Where would it be? I'd do it if I could, but I doubt we can. Again, that applying at the wrong building/local thing.

I can understand not being able to get jun-aug for several years but to be limited to pick from only 2 months is not cool

27 yrs in. Top half of the board when it comes to vacation. Last year was the first to get a week between Memorial Day and labor day in 12 years. This year got three in June. Blocked from the rest.

As stated by the others, it sucks yes, but its the same for all. Work your way up the board.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I got 3 summer weeks could have gotten more, but it took a while.
Im off this week, pretty nice, needed a break for after peak-peak.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is why I would support a change to the vacation selection procedure. Let everyone choose 2 weeks on the first round and then choose their remaining weeks on the second. This would let some of the younger kids get more of the "prime" weeks.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This is why I would support a change to the vacation selection procedure. Let everyone choose 2 weeks on the first round and then choose their remaining weeks on the second. This would let some of the younger kids get more of the "prime" weeks.
They tried to get that in our building, only pick four, and then go around, I thought that was fair, but never went anywhere.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have agreed to switch with guys who needed them for various reasons. I dont think it will be allowed either.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have agreed to switch with guys who needed them for various reasons. I dont think it will be allowed either.

You would have to ask every driver between the two of you in seniority if any of them wanted any of the weeks that you would be trading. Not worth it.

I am #9 on the seniority list and get all of the weeks that I want. I am also single and my kids are grown and out of the house so I am more flexible than the younger guys who have school-age kids. I would have no problem choosing my 2 weeks and then the other 3 after everyone has chosen their first 2.