terrible vacation picks

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yea I really dont care as long as I get one or two. I actually prefer winter, or pre winter-pre peak. But if I had plans, it would be different. I never go anywhere, I like stay cations. All I do is go visit the grandkids, it doesnt matter when. A few weeks of perch fishing in the summer is all I need.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
just picked my a vac. got a week in feb. and one this april...
what a bunch of BS///////
its going to be 15 years until i get a summer pick

if I'm still working after kids are out of the house ill take jan and feb off. I would much rather deliver when it's 100 out than in a blizzard.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So I will, start instigating again, my husband doesnt like when I stir the pot. The driver has the first week of June, he needs the third. I guess it will be a big deal. Im willing if it will work, so he can go to his daughters dance comp. If its going to cause problems I wont. He can just call off, I guess.

oldupsman

They tried to get that in our building, only pick four, and then go around, I thought that was fair, but never went anywhere.
We used to police ourselves. The top five or six of us on the top used to make it a point to only take 4 summer weeks and then take the other 2 in the winter.
The younger guys really appreciated it and it created alot of good feelings among drivers. And if a young driver came to us and told us they really really
needed a certain week, we did all we could to help then out.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We used to police ourselves. The top five or six of us on the top used to make it a point to only take 4 summer weeks and then take the other 2 in the winter.
The younger guys really appreciated it and it created alot of good feelings among drivers. And if a young driver came to us and told us they really really
needed a certain week, we did all we could to help then out.
And I think that is what its all about. yes we have seniority. But we dont need to be jerks when a young guy with a family really needs one. Most of us dont have those anymore, when we did we couldnt get a summer vaca.It doesnt mean we need to say too bad too sad. We were here first. Now if we could fix that, I think its wonderful. yes we get first dibs, but if that isnt the week that really means something, why not? I know, its logistics.

Ms.PacMan

It wasn't until my child was in high school that I could get summer vaca. I pulled him out of school for a week one October when he was little and we went to Disney World. I got all kinds of grief from the school about why I didn't just take him in the summer. We went on one vacation during the school year every year after that until junior high school (when I finally got Spring Break off). I figured he suffered almost more than I did with my long days and deserved time away, one on one, with his mom.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It wasn't until my child was in high school that I could get summer vaca. I pulled him out of school for a week one October when he was little and we went to Disney World. I got all kinds of grief from the school about why I didn't just take him in the summer. We went on one vacation during the school year every year after that until junior high school (when I finally got Spring Break off). I figured he suffered almost more than I did with my long days and deserved time away, one on one, with his mom.
I remember taking mine to Va beach in April, somehow thinking in VA it was warm. Well warmer than here, but them outside pools were awfully cold, but yet they swam, as we were on vaca. We were just happy to go somewhere. Beachfront apt, for 35 bucks a night, went to the grocery store and bought ridiculous food that we never ate any other time, aka frozen pizza, and garlic bread. Pot pies, and chips and dip. it was great.

rod

Retired 22 years
Just let senority do its thing. Lifes not fair. We tried all that taking turns picking BS and we ended up with the same people who bitched about not getting a summer vacation also complaining that they couldn't get deer hunting and/ or fishing opener week off. They also complained about not being able to take a week off right after Christmas because the senior guys blocked out that week also. You say it will be 15 years before you get a good pick? Just think about how sweet its going to be after that during your next 15 years-------unless about that time they change it to where you can only pick a few weeks the first round. Now wouldn't that suck.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
One of the good things about my position is that only have to work it out with one other guy that I have seniority on. :P One of the bad things is that when he is off, my workload about doubles :p

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got my center manager to pull out the seniority list this morning, they don't post it in my building like they are supposed to. I am number three out of about sixty drivers, so I have been getting the weeks I want for years. Still, I spread mine out throughout the year. I don't understand the drivers that take all six weeks at once. I screwed up a little this year, my first week is still six weeks away. I wish I had taken one this month.

Last edited:

Alleycar

We have a bunch of cockblockers in our center, no way in hell will the way things go for vacations change. And that is ok with me, it's part of the deal.

TheKid

It amazes me how different some buildings are. I have been driving for 22 yrs. and getting a summer vacation for at least 15 yrs. Now I get my pick of any weeks I want.