Tesla's Dream Coming to Life

wkmac

ScienceDaily (Aug. 26, 2010) — Imagine devices that capture electricity from the air ― much like solar cells capture sunlight ― and using them to light a house or recharge an electric car. Imagine using similar panels on the rooftops of buildings to prevent lightning before it forms. Strange as it may sound, scientists already are in the early stages of developing such devices, according to a report presented at the 240th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society (ACS).

Electricity Collected from the Air

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would love to put hygroelectric panels on my house. I have thought about building solar panels and wind turbines. I think it would be cool to see my electric meter run backwards and sell electricity back to the power company. My youngest son just transfered to Georgia Tech, I think I will try him to get started on this.

P

pickup

an engineer?

Was this scratch jr when he was a lad?

[video=youtube;qPuCxfcOKqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPuCxfcOKqw[/video]

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
an engineer?

Was this scratch jr when he was a lad?

Maybe worse, he is majoring in aerospace engineering. Math genius, thinks on a much higher level than most people. As long as he stays away from Tech's Industrial Engineering program, I'll remain proud of him.:wink2:

wkmac

I would love to put hygroelectric panels on my house. I have thought about building solar panels and wind turbines. I think it would be cool to see my electric meter run backwards and sell electricity back to the power company. My youngest son just transfered to Georgia Tech, I think I will try him to get started on this.

Scratch,
Some solar panels can get pretty pricey but I found some videos from "Open Source Ecology" on building your own solar panels including the assembly of the solar cells themselves. Instead of several thousand, we're talking several hundred dollars so for working stiffs like us, it does make it more cost effective. 3 video's which by no means are the all in all answer but do show what is possible are found in "Solar Panel Construction Parts 1, 2 & 3" at the link below.

http://www.google.com/search?q=sola...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CC0QqwQwAQ

Sorry Tourist, you'll have to tune in to VHI's Metal Mania for that kind of Tesla fix.
:wink2:

OT: Are you going to see AV7? PM me and I'll share some news that will make you very jealous!

bbsam

Staff member
Ever see a car in a wind tunnel? Imagine that wind spinning a generator going down the road a 65mph. Just have to build the generator efficient enough (low drag). Maybe the opposing polarity magnets used in experimental high tech train transport? Super cooling necessary, helluva a/c system on tap!

wkmac

Ever see a car in a wind tunnel? Imagine that wind spinning a generator going down the road a 65mph. Just have to build the generator efficient enough (low drag). Maybe the opposing polarity magnets used in experimental high tech train transport? Super cooling necessary, helluva a/c system on tap!

Several years ago read an article in Popular Mechanics (I think) about taking verticle wind turbines mounted along interstate highways and using the airflow off the traffic to generate electricity.