Texting while driving

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
The three different angles of video is amazing and in color. You watch, before long UPS will install cameras in the cargo area, at the driver and one from behind the driver. The safety committee will have a field day at your expense.

UPSERNOJ

We don't have handsfree laws here but yesterday i did witness 3 seperate local police officers talking on the phone while driving. And you could tell they were casual conversations by how they were sitting in the car and leaning on the door to prop the phone up. Nothing like leading by example, i guess. :knockedout:

Funny that you mention this Cementups, cuz I myself have witnessed the same with the local police...talking about learning from example!

City Driver

The three different angles of video is amazing and in color. You watch, before long UPS will install cameras in the cargo area, at the driver and one from behind the driver. The safety committee will have a field day at your expense.

and you still wont have power steering or 3 point seatbelts

P

pickup

Hoaxster - Not sure I catch the implied reason that Bluetooth would make it safer. It is not so much the glance way or dialing or holding the phone up to one's ear that causes accidents.
It's the distraction of talking to someone else rather than concentrating on driving.

It scares the crap out of me to see someone driving and turning to the person in the passenger seat while talking. Eye to eye contact is not necessary to talk to someone especially while driving.

Pickup - Agree with you 100%

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
lol, i'm badpal #2...not his wife. i'm sure he wouldn't like it if his wife had man parts:surprised:

yea...I realized that after I created the name. which I could change it but oh well.
Just create another name and ditch this one. How about, BadderPal? BladderPal? Baddest Pal? NotBadPalsWife? BadPalWithAllTheRightParts?

I text all day while driving otherwise I wouldn't be communicating with my daughter!
There has to be a better way. Better yet, text to your hearts desire, just don't text while driving.

I text all day while driving otherwise I wouldn't be communicating with my daughter!
I sure hope you don't mean while driving down the road, one little mistake by you or anyone else and your daughter won't have to worry about communicating with you.

P

pickup

I sure hope you don't mean while driving down the road, one little mistake by you or anyone else and your daughter won't have to worry about communicating with you.

Unless she is trying to conduct a seance.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-texas-kindlecrash&prov=ap&type=lgns

Texas linebacker Sergio Kindle was treated for a concussion after crashing his car into an Austin apartment building last week while he was either sending or receiving a text message, his attorney said Monday.
Kindle’s attorney, Brian Roark, said Kindle lost control of the car on June 24 while looking at the message.
It was probably something he should not have been doing,” Roark said.

Probably? Why couldn't this guy just say flat out, that it was wrong? What's with the wishy washy?

P

pickup

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-texas-kindlecrash&prov=ap&type=lgns

Texas linebacker Sergio Kindle was treated for a concussion after crashing his car into an Austin apartment building last week while he was either sending or receiving a text message, his attorney said Monday.
Kindle’s attorney, Brian Roark, said Kindle lost control of the car on June 24 while looking at the message.

Probably? Why couldn't this guy just say flat out, that it was wrong? What's with the wishy washy?

This is going to be an evergrowing problem as more and more young people who are addicted to texting from an early age are getting their driver's licenses.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This is going to be an evergrowing problem as more and more young people who are addicted to texting from an early age are getting their driver's licenses.
Perhaps the preloaders from the other thread have a need for this, as well as wearing their headsets.:knockedout:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He is a lawyer and all 2nd year law students are required to take "Wishy Washy 101".

whiskey

I hate to admit it, but I have learned to text while driving without having to look at the phone. It's much less cumbersome than working the DIAD while driving. Which I also do to save time. The key is to keep at least a 4 second following distance. That's usually enough space cushion to make adjustments if need be. But unless you can text without looking, I wouldn't recommend it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I hate to admit it, but I have learned to text while driving without having to look at the phone. It's much less cumbersome than working the DIAD while driving. Which I also do to save time. The key is to keep at least a 4 second following distance. That's usually enough space cushion to make adjustments if need be. But unless you can text without looking, I wouldn't recommend it.

Does this fall under the heading ---- Famous Last Words?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Trying hard not to sound preachy, but what the hell is that important that you feel the need to possibly put your job on the line, not to mention other motorists or pedestrians, by texting while driving? Using the DIAD while driving is bad enough (Telematics will cure that :wink2:) but texting is far worse. Studies have shown that texting while driving is equivalent to having a BAC of .08, which is legally drunk in most states. Call me old (school) but I simply do not get it.