TGIF !!!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate has to be getting some kickback he mentions it so much!

My "kickback" will be the day that I am debt free!!

I first heard about Dave here on BC, googled his name, went to his website, bought the book and now I am hooked. He lays everything out for you and it so easy to follow and such a simple concept but very effective. I have a binder in which I keep my monthly updates and a YTD running total of my progress and whenever I get the urge to make a major purchase I pull the binder out and it gets me back on track. I am hoping that I will be in a position to where I can pay for my half of my daughter's wedding in cash.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
How much does half of a wedding cost these days? My plan is to give the kids a set amount towards their weddings and they can figure out the rest. I'm not paying for champage fountains and limos.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I love working and don`t want to retire until I`m at least 62! :greedy:

I first heard about Dave here on BC, googled his name, went to his website, bought the book and now I am hooked. He lays everything out for you and it so easy to follow and such a simple concept but very effective. I have a binder in which I keep my monthly updates and a YTD running total of my progress and whenever I get the urge to make a major purchase I pull the binder out and it gets me back on track. I am hoping that I will be in a position to where I can pay for my half of my daughter's wedding in cash.

I really like Dave Ramsey and believe in his philosophy ... pretty much been using it since 1995.
Live well within your means as a team.
I have been debt free , other than mortgage, since 1998 and was able to pay for my daughter's wedding in cash.

I plan to work until 62 myself at which time, my mortgage will be paid off.

Not having debt goes a long way towards being a happy person and less stressed.

P

pickup

Telll "what's his name" to pony up his own cash.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How much does half of a wedding cost these days? My plan is to give the kids a set amount towards their weddings and they can figure out the rest. I'm not paying for champage fountains and limos.

My ex and I will each be putting up $5K. We have told the kids that they will get the $10K whether the wedding costs that much or not but will not get anything beyond that (although we have spoken and have agreed to go to $6K if needed, but don't tell Megan). They are also planning on buying a house so I have been trying to get them to downsize the wedding so that they will have more cash for their downpayment. They have been living together for a couple of years so they have all of the stuff they need but do lack the money for the downpayment. My ex is spreading the word on her side of the family that the kids would prefer cash. His mother is doing the same of their side. I guess it is bad manners to ask for cash upfront on the invitation.

I was talking about this with a co-worker and he told me he spent $42K for his daughter's wedding.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you have any luck with the envelope system? I could never get that to work for myself.

I couldn't get it to work for me either. I simply listed my debts from high to low, with their respective interest rates ,and chose the one with the highest interest to pay off first while making minimum to the others. My highest debt is actually at a fixed 4.9% so I felt comfortable saving that for last. I also suspended my 401k contribution and put that money toward the debt. Once the first was paid off I went to the next and am now down to the 4.9% debt and the Stafford Loan I took out for my daughter's college, which is at 4.25% fixed.

I just refinanced my mortgage to a 15 yr, 4.5% fixed which I hope to have paid off before I retire in 10 years.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I couldn't get it to work for me either. I simply listed my debts from high to low, with their respective interest rates ,and chose the one with the highest interest to pay off first while making minimum to the others. My highest debt is actually at a fixed 4.9% so I felt comfortable saving that for last. I also suspended my 401k contribution and put that money toward the debt. Once the first was paid off I went to the next and am now down to the 4.9% debt and the Stafford Loan I took out for my daughter's college, which is at 4.25% fixed.

I just refinanced my mortgage to a 15 yr, 4.5% fixed which I hope to have paid off before I retire in 10 years.
WOW........................................ very good. :happy2:

bigbrownhen

There is a big trend nowadays with younger couples trimming down on the fancy wedding and either put in savings or down on a house. Great idea to start them off on the right foot.

satellitedriver

Hope the ones you love still love you when you stop making the mula.........:anxious:

The love of my life is the one who is my biggest supporter for leaving UPS.
After 32 years of marriage, maybe I should listen to her.
As to the money question,
I have some put back and another job waiting for me if I decide to leave.