Thank God! It passed!

Pasaholic

Very Glad to see the contract passed, at least now I know there will be a pension when I retire in 18 years at 51 with 30 years service~!
Just hope that 6.1 Billion lasts you old timers who got screwed by central states.

Griff

Very Glad to see the contract passed, at least now I know there will be a pension when I retire in 18 years at 51 with 30 years service~!
Just hope that 6.1 Billion lasts you old timers who got screwed by central states.

What makes you think your pension is saved? This contract doesn't extend over the next 18 years, sorry to break the news to you.

Char

This also wan't Central States fault necessarily. The union runs the pension funds, they are the ones that mismanaged it in the first place.
There is no guarantee that you will have a pension in 18 years. You gave up part of a wage increase to something that may not even be around when its your turn. At least if you got that money in a raise on your check you would have control over it. But you have given up your freedom to save your money and placing that freedom and your trust and your future in the hands of union bosses and the corporation who have no vested interest nor will not suffer the consequences when it fails or cost more or benefits are cut.

Char

Griff

There is no guarantee that you will have a pension in 18 years. You will gave up part of a wage increase to something that may not even be around when its your turn. At least if you got that money in a raise on your check you would have control over it. But you have given up your freedom to save your money and placing that freedom and your trust and your future in the hands of mob bosses and the corporation who have no vested interest nor will not suffer the consequences when it fails or cost more or benefits are cut.

Char

Excuse me, Char, the truth isn't allowed on these boards. I suggest you make this post on a forum that isn't full of corporate doormats.

P.S. -- Pasaholic, if you voted yes mainly based upon this "its saving my pension" notion, you should be embarrassed. I'm not trying to be mean here.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Retire at 51 ....

In these parts; you can subtract a certain amount yearly before the age of 64. If you retire @ 54 (if I remember correctly), it's roughly 50% less payable than if you retire at 64.

I'd definitly look to see how much it's ACTUALLY worth when you retire at 51.....

Pasaholic

First off how is getting .75 cents a year giving my raises back? Yes maybe we did get a litle less in cash but how much did we save by maintaining our great benifits? Ask some of yor friends how much there insurance preimuims are each month?
I can't say 100% I will have a penion in 18 years, but with central states I for sure would have nothing and would be working till maybe 65 to find out I have nothing. Im Glad Ups WILL BE SAVING BILLIONS BY NOT HAVING TO PAY FOR NON-UPS PEOPLE PENSIONS!!
With all the savings from central states gone ups will be even more competive with pricing, service, eta...

BrownShark

Banned
First off how is getting .75 cents a year giving my raises back? Yes maybe we did get a litle less in cash but how much did we save by maintaining our great benifits? Ask some of yor friends how much there insurance preimuims are each month?
I can't say 100% I will have a penion in 18 years, but with central states I for sure would have nothing and would be working till maybe 65 to find out I have nothing. Im Glad Ups WILL BE SAVING BILLIONS BY NOT HAVING TO PAY FOR NON-UPS PEOPLE PENSIONS!!
With all the savings from central states gone ups will be even more competive with pricing, service, eta...

L.M.A.O!

tieguy

Banned
Excuse me, Char, the truth isn't allowed on these boards. I suggest you make this post on a forum that isn't full of corporate doormats.

ah it appears my buddy is sulking. your brand of "truth" is that passaholic won't have a pension in 18 years. I'm allowed to disagree with that point and I'm allowed to comment on the fact that you who claim to have a positive outlook on life again posted a negative spin on something as being the truth.

tieguy

Banned
This also wan't Central States fault necessarily. The union runs the pension funds, they are the ones that mismanaged it in the first place.

may be some truth to the union mismanagement comment but for the most the pension trustees manage the pension not the union.

There is no guarantee that you will have a pension in 18 years.

theres no guarantee he will be alive in 18 years either. No guarantee the world will be here either. But you would have to begrudgingly agree that the 6.1 billion has to help shore it up?

You gave up part of a wage increase to something that may not even be around when its your turn.

honestly you don't know what was given up.

At least if you got that money in a raise on your check you would have control over it.

so your point is to just write the pensions off as lost causes?

But you have given up your freedom to save your money and placing that freedom and your trust and your future in the hands of union bosses and the corporation who have no vested interest nor will not suffer the consequences when it fails or cost more or benefits are cut.

you need to educate yourself a little more on this subject there would be huge consequences to the union and company if the CS plan had gone belly up. A lot of pain for everyone.

Char

705red

Browncafe Steward
First off how is getting .75 cents a year giving my raises back?

Did you read all the language? Ifso you must have missed were they can defer 35 cents a year to your health and welfare, meaning if they defer 35 cents a year your $4 over 5 years just became $2.25 in actual raises. Im glad to see you made an informed decision.

browned out

Did you read all the language? Ifso you must have missed were they can defer 35 cents a year to your health and welfare, meaning if they defer 35 cents a year your $4 over 5 years just became $2.25 in actual raises. Im glad to see you made an informed decision.

It actually looks like they can defer 35 cents of any GWI. So technically I think they can take 35 of the Jan GWI and 35 cents of the Aug GWI(general wage increase) for a total of no raise

tieguy

Banned

he still gets his 4.50 an increase as far as the company is concerned. The company will be paying 9 an hour more for his services by the end of the contract. you folks keep forgetting that other 4.5 an hour.

i find it amazing how you folks keep taking that 9 an hour increase and whittling it down.

705red

Browncafe Steward
he still gets his 4.50 an increase as far as the company is concerned. The company will be paying 9 an hour more for his services by the end of the contract. you folks keep forgetting that other 4.5 an hour.
Tie i was just pointing out that people were either mis informed or voted for the contract because of the pension contributions. If all of our money goes into our retirement package how does this contract better any upser that plans to retire in the next 2 or 3 years? These are the people that voted for the contract when in fact there will be no pension increase for a minimum of 3 to 5 years. It takes time for this money tro grow in order to raise a higher retirement payout.

You cannot deny that ups worded it so it would be confusing on paper but described it differently while talking with upsers, which will hold up in an arbitration? The contract language on paper or he said she said?

tieguy

Banned
Tie i was just pointing out that people were either mis informed or voted for the contract because of the pension contributions. If all of our money goes into our retirement package how does this contract better any upser that plans to retire in the next 2 or 3 years? These are the people that voted for the contract

Red I hope we don't have 80,000 people that are 2 to 3 years from retirement?

You cannot deny that ups worded it so it would be confusing on paper but described it differently while talking with upsers, which will hold up in an arbitration? The contract language on paper or he said she said?

Don't understand that point. I'm not aware of UPS holding any contract review meetings?

browned out

Don't understand that point. I'm not aware of UPS holding any contract review meetings?

He's stating that the Teamsters and UPS did not divulge this information in the mailings and pcms It was state as a 70 cent cash raise every year. The split raise was not addressed either. There needed to be an asterik *increases will be split to 35 cents twice a year and raise may be diverted to pension fund.

This was stated in the contract but alot of people did not read it. Shame on them. I think alot of these people will be dumbfounded when they receive the 35 cents in August or no raise if it is diverted.

Damok

Red,

I specifically asked about this at our last meeting. There are several mentions of the re-allocations in the contract, however, there is only one instance (I don't have the location handy) where there can be a re-allocation without notice or without vote and that only applies to Cartage. Any other re-allocation as it applies to UPSers can only be brought up in the event of financial hardship and then must be sent to the members for a vote.

The person that explained this to me was on the negotiating committee and after he explained it to me he said the same thing to the rest in attendance. I'm no expert in legalese which is why I asked in the first place so I can only assume what he told me is true.

tieguy

Banned
Red,

I specifically asked about this at our last meeting. There are several mentions of the re-allocations in the contract, however, there is only one instance (I don't have the location handy) where there can be a re-allocation without notice or without vote and that only applies to Cartage. Any other re-allocation as it applies to UPSers can only be brought up in the event of financial hardship and then must be sent to the members for a vote.

The person that explained this to me was on the negotiating committee and after he explained it to me he said the same thing to the rest in attendance. I'm no expert in legalese which is why I asked in the first place so I can only assume what he told me is true.

And sadly many members don't go to the contract review meeting at their local , don't ask those questions and then jump on the good ole browncafe where they instead spread their brand of misinformation.

browned out

And sadly many members don't go to the contract review meeting at their local , don't ask those questions and then jump on the good ole browncafe where they instead spread their brand of misinformation.

Just another person who would rather listen to the Unions bull than read the contract.

UPS Master agreement page 16

Article 36 section 4

1. Thirty-five cents of an GWI (general wage increase) may be re-allocated as an increased contribution to a teamster pension or health and welfare fund. the reallocation shall pply to all employees in a supplement, rider or addendum, as applicable, provided all of the affected emloyees (full or part time) are covered by the same pension or health and welfare fund.

Please don't just take UPS's, the Teamsters, or TDU's words as truth. You have the contract; read it. Read the whole thing and not just the few lines or spins that the above groups put on it.

tieguy

Banned
Just another person who would rather listen to the Unions bull than read the contract.

UPS Master agreement page 16

Article 36 section 4

1. Thirty-five cents of an GWI (general wage increase) may be re-allocated as an increased contribution to a teamster pension or health and welfare fund. the reallocation shall pply to all employees in a supplement, rider or addendum, as applicable, provided all of the affected emloyees (full or part time) are covered by the same pension or health and welfare fund.

Please don't just take UPS's, the Teamsters, or TDU's words as truth. You have the contract; read it. Read the whole thing and not just the few lines or spins that the above groups put on it.

I think you meant to quote someone else:raspberry-tounge: