Thank God! It passed!

Damok

Just another person who would rather listen to the Unions bull than read the contract.

Just another person making judgments without reading and understanding a post. I read the contract and asked about that particular section specifically. It was explained to me in the manner I described previously and again below in this post. I have no reason to believe this person lied to me or the rest of us present at that meeting.

UPS Master agreement page 16

Article 36 section 4

1. Thirty-five cents of an GWI (general wage increase) may be re-allocated as an increased contribution to a teamster pension or health and welfare fund. the reallocation shall pply to all employees in a supplement, rider or addendum, as applicable, provided all of the affected emloyees (full or part time) are covered by the same pension or health and welfare fund.

Please don't just take UPS's, the Teamsters, or TDU's words as truth. You have the contract; read it. Read the whole thing and not just the few lines or spins that the above groups put on it.

If you look just above that you will see where it says CSI (Cartage Services) the section you quoted comes under that section. At least that's how it was explained to me. I asked him about that exact section and he said that particular re-allocation was for Cartage only which is why it was written under it.

You can argue about the way it was written all day long - that's what leagalese is for... all I'm telling you is the way it was explained to us.

browned out

If you look just above that you will see where it says CSI (Cartage Services) the section you quoted comes under that section. At least that's how it was explained to me. I asked him about that exact section and he said that particular re-allocation was for Cartage only which is why it was written under it.

That is section 3.

Section 4 is a different entity but It does not apply to central states if you are in that plan. It only applies to Teamster health and welfare funds. Not the UPS Teamster joint cs plan.

Damok

That is section 3.

Section 4 is a different entity but It does not apply to central states if you are in that plan. It only applies to Teamster health and welfare funds. Not the UPS Teamster joint cs plan.

I understand that it is a different section number... you're not listening. The section you quoted applies to Cartage... again, that's how it was explained that's all I'm telling you.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Excuse me, Char, the truth isn't allowed on these boards. I suggest you make this post on a forum that isn't full of corporate doormats.

P.S. -- Pasaholic, if you voted yes mainly based upon this "its saving my pension" notion, you should be embarrassed. I'm not trying to be mean here.
Griff, I have to disagee, while I definetely do not have any part in running Browncafe, I do moderate, and those of us who do that, are not corporate doormats. We are all hourly, and you can say anything you want, as long as it isnt vulgar, or threatening, lighten up..we didnt do it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
OK you two, and you know who you are. I just deleted two posts for personal insults. We are getting complaints about both of you from other members. Please tone it done some.

local804

This also wan't Central States fault necessarily. The union runs the pension funds, they are the ones that mismanaged it in the first place.
There is no guarantee that you will have a pension in 18 years. You gave up part of a wage increase to something that may not even be around when its your turn. At least if you got that money in a raise on your check you would have control over it. But you have given up your freedom to save your money and placing that freedom and your trust and your future in the hands of union bosses and the corporation who have no vested interest nor will not suffer the consequences when it fails or cost more or benefits are cut.

Char

The union was the one that runs our pension funds and mismanaged it?

Please look into what you post before you press submit.

SimpleUPSer

All,
Forgive my ignorance as I ask these questions:

It is mentioned that there are "trustees" that oversee the pension funds. Who are these folks? Are they elected positions? Are they outsiders who assist with the total management of the fund(s) and who do they report to? Are these people compenstated for their advice, counsel or service?

Regardless as to who was at fault, there must have been poor decisions made somewhere along the process for some of the funds to be in the state they are. How is it that some of the pension funds are doing so much better than others?

Trying to understand it better. Thanks.

local804

Usually on a 8 person panel, it would be 4 representitives from the union and 4 from the company. I myself, would like to know how they are appointed. Clearly putting the sole blame on the union for the pension tobasco make a one sided, closed mind person. There is 1 member on our board of trustees that needs to be removed. They are trying to have him replaced as we speak.

Char

Usually on a 8 person panel, it would be 4 representitives from the union and 4 from the company. I myself, would like to know how they are appointed. Clearly putting the sole blame on the union for the pension tobasco make a one sided, closed mind person. There is 1 member on our board of trustees that needs to be removed. They are trying to have him replaced as we speak.

Excuse my ignorance but wasn't the 97 strike over who controls pensions?

The union wanted it and the union got it?

Char

SimpleUPSer

I can understand that if it was a Teamster/UPS pension that there would be equal representation from both, but how is it determined when it is a multiemployer fund?

I can't see that every company would have representation, and that does complicate things even more.

Thanks for the earlier response(s).

local804

Excuse my ignorance but wasn't the 97 strike over who controls pensions?

The union wanted it and the union got it?

Char

Your ignorance is excused, Local 804 is a UPS/Teamster pension plan. To say a strike was called on for just a pension controlling issue is beyond me. There are other issues, including but not limited to, part time america, wages, that can contributing factors to the strike.