"Thank You" Bonus For Retirees

OptimusPrime

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Oh, you think Brown is your ally. But you merely adopted the color; I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!"

Basically that if you come up through the UPS system, then you "get it". The job makes sense. And it's not that hard. But to a lot of butthurt desk jockeys out there, bitter we make what we do, no, they could never do our job.
[/FONT]

rod

Retired 22 years
ALERT!!!!! Old guy asking a dumb question.

There seems to be a belief that when an hourly employee retires they have Teamster medical insurance for life. I have heard this mentioned a couple different times-- on here and while having a beer with those I know still working. I know in my case that is NOT true. All Teamster medical benefits end at midnight on the last day of the month preceeding your 65th birthday. Then you go on Medicare. I turn 65 on March 21. 2013 but I have already been informed by the Union that my last day of them covering me is Feb. 28, 2013. I have known this for a long time and I'm in the process of getting supplemental insurance. My question is this ------is there any local that does provide life long coverage for retirees? How about management- are they coverd for life? Its a great perk if that is true.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

There seems to be a belief that when an hourly employee retires they have Teamster medical insurance for life. I have heard this mentioned a couple different times-- on here and while having a beer with those I know still working. I know in my case that is NOT true. All Teamster medical benefits end at midnight on the last day of the month preceeding your 65th birthday. Then you go on Medicare. I turn 65 on March 21. 2013 but I have already been informed by the Union that my last day of them covering me is Feb. 28, 2013. I have known this for a long time and I'm in the process of getting supplemental insurance. My question is this ------is there any local that does provide life long coverage for retirees? How about management- are they coverd for life? Its a great perk if that is true.

As for management - No, you go on Medicare.
However, if you have enough years, then UPS provides some funds to purchase supplemental insurance.
It is enough to buy insurance to cover the donut hole but that's about it.

rod

Retired 22 years
As for management - No, you go on Medicare.
However, if you have enough years, then UPS provides some funds to purchase supplemental insurance.
It is enough to buy insurance to cover the donut hole but that's about it.

Thats a nice perk. Makes me wish I had gone into management-------on second thought no it don't.:wink2:

Leftinbuilding

This seems totally unfair. You have to cover yourself for 21 days while someone born March 1st has a seamless transition. Leave it to the gov't. I have a similar situation as my BD is on the 24th. But I am 60 (61 on Christmas Eve) so a lot may change by the time I get there.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This seems totally unfair. You have to cover yourself for 21 days while someone born March 1st has a seamless transition. Leave it to the gov't. I have a similar situation as my BD is on the 24th. But I am 60 (61 on Christmas Eve) so a lot may change by the time I get there.

Medicare kicks in the first day of the month of your 65th birthday so it's seamless.