The 8 Fold Path to Lifting and Lowering

arice11

For those of you who know about Buddhism there is the 8 fold path to liberation from suffering, at UPS there is also an 8 fold path.
If I don't have this memorized and bust out trucks at blood boiling speed, I'm done for. When I was in school I would post lists and homework and such, it helps a lot.
If anyone wants to add to this discussion please do so. Help a UPSer out with some tips.

1. Get Close to Package
2. Position Feet
3. Bend the Knees
4.Test Weight
5. Firm Grip
6. Lift with smooth action
7. Move feet
8. Use equipment

I dodged a firing today because I pleaded to my supervisor to give me another chance. Honestly today I performed under par but I also was exhausted from the week and there were SPA complications for about 10 minutes. I know I'm faster...in fact I have unloaded a truck really fast before. But today I let my supervisor down and I can't let that happen. -sigh-

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ill add one fair days work for a fair days pay. Some days are going to be better than others your not a robot. Your sup will just have to learn to deal with that.

Johney

For those of you who know about Buddhism there is the 8 fold path to liberation from suffering, at UPS there is also an 8 fold path.
If I don't have this memorized and bust out trucks at blood boiling speed, I'm done for. When I was in school I would post lists and homework and such, it helps a lot.
If anyone wants to add to this discussion please do so. Help a UPSer out with some tips.

1. Get Close to Package
2. Position Feet
3. Bend the Knees
4.Test Weight
5. Firm Grip
7. Move feet
8. Use equipment

I dodged a firing today because I pleaded to my supervisor to give me another chance. Honestly today I performed under par but I also was exhausted from the week and there were SPA complications for about 10 minutes. I know I'm faster...in fact I have unloaded a truck really fast before. But today I let my supervisor down and I can't let that happen. -sigh-
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

killamjl

Those methods dont work for me. I use

1. Reach for package
2. Push irregs out of the way with feet
3. Lean at the ankles
4. Balance package corner in hand
5. Quickly pull packages into chest
6. Use available post or door for leverage
7. Shuffle feet
8. Throw onto handtruck

Acually common sense and paying attention covers about 99% of a ups employees job duties. Im pretty sure these methods were made to give someone a job and maybe for the 1% of people that shouldnt leave there house.

Integrity

Binge Poster

1. Get Close to Package
2. Position Feet
3. Bend the Knees
4.Test Weight
5. Firm Grip
7. Move feet
8. Use equipment

arice11,

I am not sure I completely understand your need.

Please clarify exactly what is your concern?

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

His concern is fairly simple---his sup is asking him to recite the DOK material while busting out a trailer. The sup should pull the employee aside rather than pester him while he is trying to work.

I had a boss try pulling that crap with me.....I was lucky enough to be getting an OJS ride that day...as we were heading out to the route he started to ask me the DOK questions....When i wouldnt answer him he started to yell the questions at me!!!!!!!!! I pulled the truck over (wasnt even on the route yet) Then he screamed at me for stopping the truck!!.....I said what do you want? me to drive or answer the stupid DOK? He got real quite and said drive!!!lol

Last edited: