The 97 strike....

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Unfortunately, that's the way it's been running for too long. The statement was a joke about reality.
The minority of the total membership that voted has got to find a way to get their coworkers to vote. If one member got at least one other person to vote that didn't we'd probably be at 70% or more.

Where is the disconnect? You tell me because I know that it can be done. We did it.

BTW: the national stats of voting for the President of the United States is similar from what I've seen. Talk about apathy.
The majority of PTers in my building don't care or understand that their vote is important...they're kids...all they're worried about is raises. But I think that's a good idea....if we all got one extra person to vote in the next contract...maybe it'll make a difference. Or there'll be another impasse....and our votes won't mean a damn thing, but at least we tried.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
THERE'S A FINE LINE BETWEEN STANDING UP FOR SOMETHING AND THREATENING TO HOLD YOUR BREATH UNTIL YOU GET YOUR WAY. STRIKES ARE STILL THE MOST EFFECTIVE WEAPON IN THE WORKER'S ARSENAL.

Ron Carey lives on

We mowed yards, did some painting, and held down two picket lines 35 miles apart. Did mobile picketing, turned over a truck at a hub, took pictures of sups and scabs totally make a mess of the delivery process. Delivering things to wrong places, falling over thier dollys, getting cussed out by customers, it was great. Got arrested for supposedly " stalking" the scabs and sups, but we had signs and cameras. My scrap book is awesome, its a big hit at union meetings. Carey's attitude on Tv and his mobilization of different unions was something to see. He was a little bad ass. Hoffa has made so many enemies in other unions trying to steal their members, couldn't see him doing zhit or wanting too

Sent using BrownCafe App

10 point

It took a lot of us by surprise but we went thru it together and stood strong. After Carey was barred Jim Kelly said he was glad to see Hoffa, Jr. as the GP, that he was more of a businessman.
What does organized labor do for corporate greed? There's a lot of unanswered questions in Kelly's statement. Time will tell and there may be no way to reverse the inertia unless more people care enough to get involved and not just punch in and out living under the radar.

It is said apathy is the same as hatred. The end result may be similar depending on who and what you're dealing with.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Learned what real work is like. I worked preload and also did some construction work when I was younger. Like the construction work better but couldn't pass up the money at UPS.

I already knew what hard work was like but do admit that busting my ass for 46 hours for the glorious sum of $253 really made me appreciate what I had.

10 point

That was cash money-----no taxes or any of that crap.

He asked me how much I would have made at UPS and nearly passed out when I told him.
$5.50/hr? Evidently a last minute job choice since most of us didn't think a strike would actually precipitate.

I had a daughter in college at $180/credit hour and I sat on the strike line for $1.30/hr.

Everyone's story is different but I know one thing about working at this company: divided we fall.

We can and do appreciate a good job (compensation wise) but those bennies and wages didn't come without hard negotiations. Don't think the company would just agree to the pay and benefits we have. Their proposal in 1997 was that our compensation would be "performance based" and just like "standards" those numbers would change like the seasons.
Trusting in the company is like walking across the street in downtown Manhattan with a blindfold on if you think they're all about taking care of us. The union fought for what we have and that union word includes you and me.

I say... treat the company with respect because we're all in this together but never, ever forget their track record in dealing with our compensation. The union is all we have here.

Irishman Collins

I hope we do strike the next time. Thing is a lot of us could just be like whatever were that much closer to retirement, but these young guys and gals who have just been hired or have a long long way to go to finish the race have got to start paying attention cause this jobs completely out of hand now and only going to get worse. Eventually somethings gotta give and the younger generation of drivers need to stand up.
Jumpman, strike, lol! Our old guard Union leaders will never strike. It would make U.P.S. mad and for Christ sakes, they wouldn't want to upset their " cash cow ", now would they? No the future just means more Cash in U.P.S.'s pocket, Unions pocket and less in ours. If our Old Guard Union really wanted to protect our backs and our futures they would have stepped in when Ed and Orion came into play and demanded that dramatically increasing stop counts due to technology changes is unrealistic, unsafe and just plain stupid. The said technologies are put in place to impress stock holders, by showing them a graph whereas productivity can be increased. It's simple you can't squeeze anymore productivity out of us and our union sits idly by and does nothing, EVER!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App