The 97 strike....

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The 97 strike was the last time the union seemed to have any balls. I'm thankful for the 97 strike. I had just started. With this last contract though, I think Hall has worked really hard to be unelectable. Everyone in my local and in the national are entirely unelectable in my view. All incumbents are out. They have a proven record of concessions and I know what to expect from them. I say bring in new people, new energy, and no BS. If they wind up not doing well, what have I lost?

Overpaid Union Thug

What really burns a hole in my stomach is the people that fully take advantage of seniority rights but aren't in the union. RTW is a difficult subject for me. Its not the idea of RTW that I have a problem with. Its the fact that non union numbers get the same benefits as members that pisses me off.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Johney

What really burns a hole in my stomach is the people that fully take advantage of seniority rights but aren't in the union. RTW is a difficult subject for me. Its not the idea of RTW that I have a problem with. Its the fact that non union numbers get the same benefits as members that pisses me off.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Maybe pay and benefits, but if they screw up do you really think the stewards or their local will truly back them up? I'll admit I'm not a hardcore union guy by any means. Rarely go to union meetings, but I pay my dues because I sure as hell don't want to be THAT GUY if I need them.

Brown Spider

Sent using BrownCafe App

RTW sucks! I'd think that the biggest problem is that we haven't been able to fight back against it and those who are fighting for it have the upper hand. They've also been getting very creative. Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker dealt a major blow to the public sector unions when he eliminated the dues check-off provision in their contract. That meant that union reps, whose duties focused on the representation of members, were required to collect those dues. A rep whose weekly schedule may have included numerous grievance hearings, a couple of arbitrations, and perhaps a stewards meeting or two, was now required to collect the dues from maybe 2,000 members. How does that happen?

The Democrats that we've supported have done what they could, but it's just not enough. Grassroots efforts have fallen short. Efforts to recall Walker failed. The fight goes on, but we're not winning it! It's time for a new and aggressive strategy, but that has to originate from the top of our union, and I just don't see it happening!

Ron Carey lives on

I guess I should know more about the rtw plague, but thankfully we have a governor that would veto it in a heartbeat, and a few republicans that help us defeat it every time it comes up. Whats it like working in a rtw center, is it split down the middle, is it college kids? Is there total animosity?

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
Nope, definitely not female!...LP said you cant drink with these guy! He said Im off the clock, bite me!....That was his last day on the job!
My security guard was someone I met in a bar and didn't know she was a guard. I saw her at work and tried to hide in shame. Lets just say I had my beer goggles on and it was closing time.
:ashamed: