The Bad Side Of Computers. Taking Control Of Our Lives.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
example.

my son had a dispute about a non operation permit on his car. the original bill was $18.00. he paid it.

several months goes by. the DMV in CA thru the Franchise Tax Board. froze his bank account for non payment. penalties and interest has brought the bill to almost $600.

I know what you all are thinking. "well that's easy , just go down to dmv and straighten it out.
yes , he tried. even though he had evidence that he paid it thru his bank the DMV has NO evidence that it received payment. ( clerk may have mis-keyed....my theory )

they reduced the bill from almost 600 to 125. he paid that and they ASSURED him they would unfreeze his account. ( in 4-6 weeks )

before he had a chance to notify electric co. and a couple others ACH payments bounced. now he has to pay bank charges. BOA doesn't care what happened.

get this. even though he got squared away with DMV, the CA Franchise tax board took the money they said he owed in the first place not once but TWICE!

now it is going to take forever to fix this. once those people get your money they wont want to give it back.

I had to pay his taxes yesterday ( the 14th ) because his account is empty. I did an ACH thru the credit union. ya, they took the payment not once but TWICE!!!! now im fighting with them.

no. I did not double click. I called them. upon "approval" in 6-8 weeks they will reverse one charge. ya , right!

this kind of scares me. anyone can say you owe money and attach and withdraw from your bank accounts now with NO authorization??????

welcome to 1984 people.

just ranting . im going to the bank right now and taking my money out to put under the mattress.

theslinger

Does your son have a business? Cause the only time I ever used the Franchise Tax Board was to pay my sales tax (for a small business I have).
Never heard of them (Board) going after a Personal/Savings Account. Only a Business Account.

rod

Retired 22 years
Have you got one of those "problem solver" teams on your local news station? Sometimes they really do get action

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Does your son have a business? Cause the only time I ever used the Franchise Tax Board was to pay my sales tax (for a small business I have).
Never heard of them (Board) going after a Personal/Savings Account. Only a Business Account.
the FTB in now linked to the DMV .

rod

Retired 22 years
Our DMV just this spring finally started accepting credit cards. They do charge an extra 5% for the privilege though.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our DMV just this spring finally started accepting credit cards. They do charge an extra 5% for the privilege though.
Yeah and last I checked that's supposed to be illegal.

You can give a cash discount. You cannot add a fee for a card.

oldngray

nowhere special
The banks still charge merchants a fee. American Express just makes the merchant eat the fee. Most merchants do that anyway for other cards too.