The Ballad of the Cover Driver

BrownArmy

I've been cover for eight years - it suits me and there's never been a route up for bid that I wanted.

I'm covering a route today which I know fairly well. I haven't done it in a while, so there's a lot of new business, etc.

When I hand the DIAD for a sig, a lot of these people look at me like they've never seen a UPS driver before in their life, let alone a DIAD. ???

OK cover drivers, what are some of your funny/horrible/insane stories about being cover?

Two years into my career at UPS I got sent out on the blind in a town I knew well, but didn't know the route - lots of business (one place gets 200+ NDA every day, all letters).

NO ONE told me that one of the deals with this route was that I had to meet an air driver at xxx place and give him a tote-full of NDA's.

10:25 and my phone starts blowing up: "WHERE THE friend ARE U"...etc.

Many late air that day...

9.5er

I do not like being a cover driver but it pays the bills. I'll bid on a route soon as I can but doesn't look like one will be available for a few more years. I'd rather have the same crap route every day and know where I'm going than run 5 routes in 5 days.

box_beeyotch

Walked into one of the very first businesses I ever delivered to as a cover where there was a cute blonde girl staring at me as I was getting a signature, turned right to her and go" hey you, I see you over there undressing me with your eyes, but that's not necessary all you have to is ask and I'll undress myself. After her laughing and giggling, she found out after the first date I wasn't lying.

JL 0513

In my 3rd year driving, cover of course. I also plan on staying cover for a while rather than bidding a bottom route. I know about 17 routes, only been trained on two. On day two of a new route that I'm teaching myself, I'm asked why I'm 1 hour over.

I don't have any crazy stories, just some of the usual tough days that come with certain tough routes to do blind (usually city routes).

And as the OP stated, I find it odd that yes, a lot of customers are confused when you hand over the board for a signature. Um, why do so many seniority bid drivers DR businesses? Methods say you must get a signature from businesses.

box_beeyotch

In my 3rd year driving, cover of course. I also plan on staying cover for a while rather than bidding a bottom route. I know about 17 routes, only been trained on two. On day two of a new route that I'm teaching myself, I'm asked why I'm 1 hour over.

I don't have any crazy stories, just some of the usual tough days that come with certain tough routes to do blind (usually city routes).

And as the OP stated, I find it odd that yes, a lot of customers are confused when you hand over the board for a signature. Um, why do so many seniority bid drivers DR businesses? Methods say you must get a signature from businesses.

They dont necessarily DR as much as they sign for the customers. They have known then for many years and that's just the arrangement they have.

BrownArmy

Because they know the names and sign the board themselves?

BrownArmy

"I know xxx is on vacation, so I called the center just to make sure you'd show up for my pickup...they said they wanted to charge me!!!$$$???)

Says the business that has an arrangement with the regular driver - they don't have a pickup in the board.

Luckily I've done the route before.

BrownArmy

Doesn't that break rule #1? NEVER sign someone else's name. A cardinal sin. Much better to just DR it in that case.

Problem is that -

A: Business stops can't be DR'd, see billing, etc.
B: Evidently this route driver has been 'cardinal sinning' for twenty years, signing everyone's name.

Customer says to me: "XXX never has me sign, he just hands me the package. OH, SPIT, I probably shouldn't say that, I don't want XXX to get in trouble".

In my head I'm like: Just tell me your last name, guy, I actually don't care one way or another.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Walked into one of the very first businesses I ever delivered to as a cover where there was a cute blonde girl staring at me as I was getting a signature, turned right to her and go" hey you, I see you over there undressing me with your eyes, but that's not necessary all you have to is ask and I'll undress myself. After her laughing and giggling, she found out after the first date I wasn't lying.

Good way to get fired too. All it takes in one person making a sexual harassment claim and you're done. You don't poop where you eat is the basic saying.

JL 0513

"I know xxx is on vacation, so I called the center just to make sure you'd show up for my pickup...they said they wanted to charge me!!!$$$???)

Says the business that has an arrangement with the regular driver - they don't have a pickup in the board.

Luckily I've done the route before.

Seriously? I heard it's like $10/day to have a daily P/U account and this driver does it free? Sure, lot's of businesses regularly put packages out to be picked up when the driver does a delivery, which is fine. It's not an extra trip. But no delivery that day, then the packages wait until tomorrow.

BrownTexas

Seriously? I heard it's like $10/day to have a daily P/U account and this driver does it free? Sure, lot's of businesses regularly put packages out to be picked up when the driver does a delivery, which is fine. It's not an extra trip. But no delivery that day, then the packages wait until tomorrow.
I've been on my bid route starting this April. I've got an arrangement with a place just because I have 2 other pickups in the building. If they call it in and sometimes I don't get it til after I have already left from the 2 scheduled pus. By them calling me I save myself a lot of time. If I have already been there, they are willing to wait til the next day. They also know if I don't answer my phone, then they need to call it in. It's a magical thing. Lol.

box_beeyotch

Good way to get fired too. All it takes in one person making a sexual harassment claim and you're done. You don't poop where you eat is the basic saying.

Yeah yeah same speech I've heard tons of times and I get it. I also refuse to change my personality to suit other people. If you cant laugh at a joke and consider it harassment then you can die a slow painful death for all I care.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Yeah yeah same speech I've heard tons of times and I get it. I also refuse to change my personality to suit other people. If you cant laugh at a joke and consider it harassment then you can die a slow painful death for all I care.

Except all it takes is one girl "having a bad day" and doesn't see your humor to call it in saying you're making unwanted sexual advances and then you're done.

But hey don't be careful. Keep to your "personality " and don't change. Could cost you a $100,000 a year job but you'll still think "I'm cool".

I watched it happen to a cover driver who covered my route. Did the same as you. She called Atlanta basically. They walked him out. It went to panel. He lost.

I get it. You're young and you know it all. But what you're doing is stupid and its a risk you don't take. Pick up girls elsewhere. Just not where you make your livelihood. It can go bad real quick.

And do those cheesy lines actually work? I'm happily married but I'm guessing if "women" are falling for that lame crap, well they're not too bright to begin with.

rod

Retired 22 years

Dear Penthouse,

Orion inc.

I like turtles
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1435782190.733164.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Daily P/U accounts start at $20/week and are discounted based on volume shipped.

Smart P/U's are $10/week (flat rate).

UPSGUY72

I could have bid a route a couple of years ago. But I'm not bidding a crappy route just to have a route. As a cover driver at least I know I won't be on a crappy route everyday and the longer your a cover driver the chances of being put on a crappy route get less and less...