The best way to go about this....

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've been assigned as a loader in one of the centers of my building for about 7 years. I got hurt, was taken off loading trucks, was given TAW and put in small sort for a week. While working there, I've determined there are at least 6 employees who primarily work in small sort who have much less seniority than me...some of whom have worked here less than a year. Now, after I return to my regular position....if I decide I'm done loading, and would rather work in small sort and bump one of the people with less seniority...how exactly does one go about doing that?? Because i can envision sitiing down with the preload and division manager, explain to them my intentions, and hear oh well, you're assigned to ____ center, you can't just decide to work in small sort....etc. I am definitely in managements' crosshairs at the moment, and feel I could possibly use this as leverage to get where I want....or should I wait a few months till this all blows over, and then try to be reassigned?

pretender

If there is no pay differential, I have a feeling you are out of luck. If I recall correctly, you do an excellent job loading trucks and they will do whatever they can to keep you there...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No pay differential. Oh, I expect resistance...if I were a chronic misload or attendance problem, they wouldn't bat an eyelash at moving me. But it's been done before for other employees...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Small sort is like the black pit of Calcutta. Abandon all hope if ye enter there.
Nah, it's more like the UPS nursing home...lol. 75% of them are PTers too old or physically broken to work anywhere else in the building. Loading is slowly breaking me from the ankles up, and I'd rather move now, than wait until I physically can't do it anymore.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I've been assigned as a loader in one of the centers of my building for about 7 years. I got hurt, was taken off loading trucks, was given TAW and put in small sort for a week. While working there, I've determined there are at least 6 employees who primarily work in small sort who have much less seniority than me...some of whom have worked here less than a year. Now, after I return to my regular position....if I decide I'm done loading, and would rather work in small sort and bump one of the people with less seniority...how exactly does one go about doing that?? Because i can envision sitiing down with the preload and division manager, explain to them my intentions, and hear oh well, you're assigned to ____ center, you can't just decide to work in small sort....etc. I am definitely in managements' crosshairs at the moment, and feel I could possibly use this as leverage to get where I want....or should I wait a few months till this all blows over, and then try to be reassigned?

When you say "center", are you loading trucks on preload? Or do you load an outbound truck on a PD? I'm assuming small sort is in the same hub/shift.

Small sort is a preferred job. You'd need to find the bid list for small sort (probably in your sort manager's office) and put your name on it.. otherwise, you can't really "bump" someone already assigned up there, unless they're a seasonal employee and retained after January 1st. If they sneak the seasonals up there, you'd better grieve it before they get seniority.

Quite frankly, UPS management really likes "sneaking" people up there that can't hack it in the inbound/outbound and they have to be watched like a hawk to make sure they don't do exactly that. I would get your name on that bid list ASAP and then see if they try and sneak people in ahead of you; small sort ain't a bad gig and most people start to grind themselves down to a nub after 4-5 years of loading/unloading trucks.

pretender

Nah, it's more like the UPS nursing home...lol. 75% of them are PTers too old or physically broken to work anywhere else in the building. Loading is slowly breaking me from the ankles up, and I'd rather move now, than wait until I physically can't do it anymore.

Oh I get it--You did say that you liked the older guys!