The Big News

Kevinmevin

Re: Express packages and ground packages at each others' locations

Many large shippers have trailers brought to their warehouses and they load the trailers themselves and FedEx will go pick the trailer up. Packages get loaded onto the wrong trailer all of the time. Express Ramp locations get these trailers directly and will set the packages aside for ground to come and pick up. Also, service counters at stations receive all FedEx services. An Express station takes all of the ground packages and puts them in a cage and a ground driver comes by daily to make a regular pickup. An Express courier will make a daily pickup at FedEx ground locations to pick up packages that were loaded onto the wrong trailer at a customer location, or packages that were picked up by the ground couriers.

As for Freight trailers being stored at a Ground location, probably just looking for a place to store them.

That makes since, as the express packages are usually Walmart and Ingram Micro ( very very large shippers and we get ALOT of volume from both).

Were going through another major expansion where im at as well, getting two new load wings and 2 more belts for the local city colo. I think were number #2 as far as hub size and capacity, so it should be interesting to see what happens when and if express volume does move to ground. We run at full capacity during xmas 30k pkgs an hour so we def need it.

yes that's what i thought about the freight trailers but we started using them at one point. No idea if they ever had freight in them. we shall see what happens during peak this time around if they show up again.

55+

I have also seen ground trailers at the ramp..there definitely is a crossover of functions being performed at express and ground..It shouldn't be legal in my opinion but so what else is new..
I was perusing the jcats posting for couriers the other day and noticed that there was only one(1) fulltime posting. Every other posting in the nation was for parttime couriers only..looks like something is happening for sure

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I was perusing the jcats posting for couriers the other day and noticed that there was only one(1) fulltime posting. Every other posting in the nation was for parttime couriers only..looks like something is happening for sure

Looks like the writing is on the wall.

LTFedExer

Looks like the writing is on the wall.
Most regular FT routes are filled in-house. The FT CRR positions you see are most likely swings. It's been that way since I moved from NY 9 years ago.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Oliver Douglas got to be with Eva Gabor..not too bad. Most of the time, however, I feel like Oliver Douglas when I deal with you. Maybe Mr.Haney can explain it all to you.

As much as you like to run your mouth on this forum, I figured you'd be the first guy to reference the published data in order to validate your claims. But you don't. I can't imagine why not! ;)

59 Dano

When half the station calls in sick and the RTD's "forget" where the station is or also call-in sick, the only ones left to deliver the Purple Promise will be the managers and the suck-ups. Your route will be really busy that day.

That's okay. If people want to play that way, management is game. After enough PR's and WL's, the offending parties will either get the message or get relieved of the job that he can't remember how to get to.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's okay. If people want to play that way, management is game. After enough PR's and WL's, the offending parties will either get the message or get relieved of the job that he can't remember how to get to.

You're a tool, plain and simple. And resistance to the Borg is not futile. Management isn't even "game" enough to determine up from down.

59 Dano

You're a tool, plain and simple. And resistance to the Borg is not futile. Management isn't even "game" enough to determine up from down.

How long have you been on this forum complaining and making your immature little "rise of the proletariat" threats? You're still here, you're still complaining, and you're still making threats. If you had the balls to do anything, you would have done so long ago.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How long have you been on this forum complaining and making your immature little "rise of the proletariat" threats? You're still here, you're still complaining, and you're still making threats. If you had the balls to do anything, you would have done so long ago.

I resist the only way I can, which is beneath the radar. "Doing anything" gets you harassed and/or fired, or haven't you been following Ricochet1a lately? The smart way to fight back is to do it in ways that don't get you fired or targeted. Management isn't nearly as smart as you think they are, especially now that the B-Team is running the show.

My word is just that, and nothing else. I have never claimed otherwise. I've seen the internal memos about the changeover to Express-compatible tracking systems over at Ground and the plans for a combined Ground/Express dispatch. Does that ring any alarm bells for you? Captain Smith is accelerating toward the iceberg, and when he hits it, the HMS Express will sink like a stone, because Ground won't be able to handle it, especially on the pickup cycle. You can only task a tatted-down box monkey to a certain point, and then the wheels come off the bus because $12 per hour workers aren't very proficient at complex tasks like reasoning and planning.

vantexan

Most regular FT routes are filled in-house. The FT CRR positions you see are most likely swings. It's been that way since I moved from NY 9 years ago.
Sorry, not true. Plenty of regular FT courier positions get posted, but not this week. Swing drivers are a separate classification and are listed separately from regular courier openings in the printed JCATS. And while 4X10 cover drivers are considered regular couriers, when posted it's stated in posting notes it's a cover driver, as well as any other pertinent info, such as domiciled, split shift, etc. Could be a number of reasons why only PT positions this week, except for one FT, but have to believe if we are on path towards reorganizing then we're looking at limited FT hiring.

59 Dano

I resist the only way I can, which is beneath the radar. "Doing anything" gets you harassed and/or fired, or haven't you been following Ricochet1a lately? The smart way to fight back is to do it in ways that don't get you fired or targeted.

The anonymous posting of idle threats and gossip on the web is not resistance, nor is it "fighting back."

My word is just that, and nothing else. I have never claimed otherwise. I've seen the internal memos about the changeover to Express-compatible tracking systems over at Ground and the plans for a combined Ground/Express dispatch. Does that ring any alarm bells for you?

Nope. What'd they say?

You can only task a tatted-down box monkey to a certain point

That's pretty arrogant. What's the difference between you and a tatted-down box monkey? The tats? Same job, different trucks, you know...

vantexan

Captain Smith is accelerating toward the iceberg, and when he hits it, the HMS Express will sink like a stone, because Ground won't be able to handle it, especially on the pickup cycle. You can only task a tatted-down box monkey to a certain point, and then the wheels come off the bus because $12 per hour workers aren't very proficient at complex tasks like reasoning and planning.
Which could mean that Express will continue to pickup our 2 and 3 day freight but it will be separated at hubs and picked up at ramps by Ground trucks. How else would they get cross country E-2 delivered by Ground on time? One Ground tractor-trailer could pick up containers for multiple locations and drop off day before due, to be unloaded by Ground handlers. Not the same as Express truck having to get in early so all freight can be unloaded and sent onroad that day.Of course I believe all of this is to increase profit. But let's be honest, the economy stinks. They are going to do whatever they can to keep the company viable and profits as high as possible. We've been used, often abused, but we can't expect them to do things they could in a great economy. Don't get me wrong, they didn't do right by us when times were better. But now we in a position where we just have to take it, at least until better times. Right now it's about getting our debts squared away because times are going to get even leaner. I think alot of couriers are about to get hurt financially and there's going to be little sympathy for us because millions are hurting already. And I'd recommend going the extra mile now because if it does come down to layoffs they may seek to get rid of the dead weight. I know you guys get irritated with me mentioning my "stellar" work record. I've not only complained here but have been very openly critical at work. I may be one of the first they get rid of but I'll at least remind them, and any company monitors here, that I'm a good worker who's made them money. Might not be enough for me, but those of you who keep your heads down and don't say anything openly might do yourselves a favor and volunteer more or produce better numbers. If the economy gets real bad again, and FedEx reorganizes, they may finally do a layoff. And in this economic climate it's better to have a job, even if the company you work for hasn't come through like you were lead to believe years ago.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The anonymous posting of idle threats and gossip on the web is not resistance, nor is it "fighting back."

Nope. What'd they say?

You are like a lead-lined vest...nothing penetrates. The "tatted down box monkey" is a reference to Ground drivers, not UPS. The internal memos are exactly as I described, creating a combined Express/Ground Dispatch and making the 2 systems compatible. That seems pretty obvious to me.

Fighting back takes many forms, and subterfuge is just one means. Organized call-ins work well, as do other slowdown tactics. You do the best you can under the circumstances. Unfortunately for Fred, most of us are smarter than the average WalMart employee. There are some exceptions.

59 Dano

You are like a lead-lined vest...nothing penetrates. The "tatted down box monkey" is a reference to Ground drivers, not UPS. The internal memos are exactly as I described, creating a combined Express/Ground Dispatch and making the 2 systems compatible. That seems pretty obvious to me.

I know exactly who the tatted down remark is aimed at, and I ask again, what's the difference between you and a Ground guy? Tats? Same jobs, different trucks. Yours has an orange Ex, his has a green Ex.

As for the memos, I want to know what they said, not your interpretation of what you think they mean. Another interpretation is that Ground is getting an upgrade to a better and more advanced tracking system and that corporate realizes it's cheaper and more cost-effective to have both opcos use the same technology and dispatch/tracking systems. After all, are there any good reasons to give one opco a substandard operating system?

Of course, that's just speculation on my part (unless I've seen more than I'm letting on), but I wouldn't have any problem labeling it as such.

That's why it's so much better to know what the memos said than to hear someone's interpretation of them.

Fighting back takes many forms, and subterfuge is just one means. Organized call-ins work well, as do other slowdown tactics. You do the best you can under the circumstances. Unfortunately for Fred, most of us are smarter than the average WalMart employee. There are some exceptions.

Yeah, whatever.

bbsam

Staff member
We, of the Tatted Down Monked Brigade salute you. Now, give us your lunch or we'll peel you like a banana and crap on you like a bed of pansies. On a side note, my suspicions were confirmed. Nearly 40% of Americans are "tatted up".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can only task a tatted-down box monkey to a certain point, and then the wheels come off the bus because $12 per hour workers aren't very proficient at complex tasks like reasoning and planning.

This is a very arrogant remark, even by my standards.

MFE, the true measure of a man is not his hourly rate of pay.

FedEx2000

Nope. What'd they say?

Combining Dispatch is a far cry from combining the on-road operations, not that that it won't/couldn't ever happen.

Oh, and "Call-ins" (aka Sick-outs), like what the Continental Pilots have allegedly been doing, are often illegal in union contracts like the one you so badly want.....good luck with that BTW.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Combining Dispatch is a far cry from combining the on-road operations, not that that it won't/couldn't ever happen.

Oh, and "Call-ins" (aka Sick-outs), like what the Continental Pilots have allegedly been doing, are often illegal in union contracts like the one you so badly want.....good luck with that BTW.

Combining dispatch functions has nothing to do with combining on-road operations? Where's my shovel? And good for the Continental pilots, because they're smart enough to disrupt operations and get management's "attention". I hope they shut the place down.

Oh, and it's completely illegal to engage in union-busting, but Fred has been doing it for decades. How is it any different if the other side breaks the rules? Fred (and the airlines) want the RLA to require that anyone who abstains from voting in a union election be counted as "NO" vote. Gee, why would that be of concern to employees? The Republicans want to deliver another "gift" to Fred in return for his generous donations, but so far the jellyfish Democrats haven't let them have their way.

You really sound like a management suck-up on this one.