The Big Ugly Talk (Pre: Round 1)

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by Code 82 Approved, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Code 82 Approved

Code 82 Approved Titanium Plus+ Level Member

UPS may strike, knowing what you know from last time, this discussion is about how it affected the opcos.

2. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

We were slammed at Express, and everyone stepped-up. Not this time around.

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

UPS is not going on strike.

4. IsItME

IsItME New Member

From a competency, capability or willingness perspective, you're 100% spot on.

5. Code 82 Approved

If your contract ends, and you do in fact strike...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  6. Code 82 Approved

It never dawned on me that your reply was 100% about everything outside of recent bickering until I paused and realized you have been explaining it all along.

7. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

I hope you are correct, for sake of us ALL.

8. thedownhillEXPRESS

thedownhillEXPRESS Well-Known Member

It was busy at Express, for all intents and purposes that was the only Opco.

9. DontThrowPackages

DontThrowPackages Well-Known Member

We plan on bringing back anything over our numbers. That or not take a lunch. Up to them.

10. DontThrowPackages

If they strike, they will be committing financial suicide.

11. DontThrowPackages

Correct. Imo Fxground will be mostly impacted. I think UPS strike is less than 1pecent of happening but if it did, I picture 3 to 4 people per ground truck.

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

...it would be financial and PR suicide...

13. TUT

TUT Well-Known Member

One thinks it would, but most will bounce right back:

1. They chose UPS for a reason, once the contract is set for years, they'll go back and feel secure.
    2. Fedex can't handle it all or even close anyway, so there isn't even really a choice.

It's a bump in the road when all said and done and no one knows if there will be a strike or not.

14. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

If there is I'm not working any harder. Longer hours....yes, harder....no.

Most of that stuff can sit in the warehouse and rot for all I care. If upper management would do their jobs right and prepare for such an event instead of letting the wind blow the cards where they fall, it wouldn't be such a clusterf uck.

15. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

Our management has been telling current ups shippers that if ups strikes we will only take a percentage of their volume. We will worry about our current shippers before we worry about the extra volume from a strike. Basically switch now or we won't take what you have.

Ground would be slammed. But not much more than peak. Our infrastructure wouldn't handle much more...

16. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

Our Ground could handle quite a bit more than peak. I was taking an extra 200 stops per day from HD without adding any more drivers. Easy money.

17. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

True. The contractors/ISPs would handle it. I have no faith in the line haul operation and fedexs ability to run a heavier preload... Throughput is the problem.

18. northbound

northbound Member

Some could handle it some couldn't. I have my company built for more right now so it would be no problem. Half my building would struggle due to bad ISP management. And yes I think line haul could be an issue

19. Kevinmevin

Kevinmevin Member

Well they do seem to know something it seems at ground.. On the Package handler side there asking people to sign up for seasonal full time like they do for peak season starting possibly in may at my hub due to UPS strike.

Line haul i think could be solved by putting stuff on the empty BNSF trains that use to have UPS grounds trailers. That's what I would do anyway.

20. MrFedEx

MrFedEx Engorged Member

You would be blown away in all aspects of your operation. UPS runs way more volume than Ground could handle.