The Bigger Impact of the "Me First" Attitude on Everyone From Cell Phones to Lunches

outta hours

After the lengthy discussions in the using your own phone thread, with so many people on board with using their phone. I thought I would add another angle for you to view it from . Let me preface by saying that because I am for following the contract, I am not anti-company. Just the opposite. I have been at the company over 25 years, and do all I can daily to contribute to its success. So lets not debate my loyalty or motives.

Whenever we do things as hourly employees outside of the contract it weakens it. All the language in it has been negotiated and agreed upon by both sides. Every article in it has a story behind it. Either it was a problem or an issue at one time that had to be addressed for the benefit of the employee or the company. It may have been easy language to add, or it may have taken years or even a strike to fight for it. The point being someone else struggled and we benefit from their struggle with the language we have today. That in itself demands your respect. By no means I am saying the contract is perfect. It is ever changing. Moving forward, evolving to address not only the past issues but future issues too. Recently implemented items that some of you may remember include, 9.5, 8hr req, over 70's, pay raises, etc. So the contract is not something that a bunch of old guys wrote that has been the same for ever. If you are an hourly now, you are shaping the contract that future workers will be using.

I will use the personal phone reference for this discussion but you can plug in any other activity that is done outside of the contract. Examples of which could be skipping part of your lunch, working off the clock, taking lunch after the 8th hr, making side deals with your supervisor, etc etc. The problem with doing the things that you rationalize by saying " it helps me out so I do it", is that it becomes expected by the company. They will say driver A does it why doesn't driver B? So then driver B is scrutinized because he is chooses to follow the contract. He is doing what he should, yet is viewed as a problem or a bad employee. Not because of his actions, but because of the actions of driver A who is not doing what he should be.

Contract negotiations are a give and take process. The union says we would like this, and the company will say okay we will give you that in return for a change in this article or language. So for our next contract UPS may say "we want the drivers to use their own phones when needed for UPS business". And the union says no. The company then responds with "well 95% of the drivers use them now & don't have a problem with it." And then it is open for discussion. Maybe the language is added, maybe not. If not this contract maybe the next one. The company has started building its case for requiring us to use our phones. So now we are fighting not to get new language that helps us, but to KEEP the language we already HAD. And that is the problem that comes from doing your own thing, thinking only of yourself. It does not effect only you, it impacts everyone. People that work here now, and that will work here in the future.

I am thankful that we can all have discussions, and express our opposing views in this forum. My intent is not to be disrespectful or obtuse to your personal situation, whatever that my be. Sometimes out of necessity our actions may at times require a selfish response. I am not speaking about those occasions. I am only asking that you take the time to contemplate ,how what you are doing on a daily basis is impacting those around you today and in the future.

Peace..

Indecisi0n

Re: The Bigger Impact of the "Me First" Attitude on Everyone From Cell Phones to Lunc

We are all waiting for what Upstate has to say.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Re: The Bigger Impact of the "Me First" Attitude on Everyone From Cell Phones to Lunc

I do not use my cellphone to communicate with my center. Use the messaging through the diad to create a paper trail or take cellphone pictures of messages sent to me.
I do use my phone to communicate with my loop partners and some businesses on my route. I'm old school on providing the best service I can to my customers and they are free to call if they need something above and beyond what UPS as a corporation is willing to give them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am still trying to gather my thoughts as I want to respond in the same coherent, articulate and intelligent manner in which the OP was made.

This was one of the best posts I have read on here in some time. There is little that any of us, hourly or management, could disagree with here. I don't think we would ever see contract language regarding the use of personal cell phones for company business but then again I never thought we would have a monitoring system as intrusive as Telematics. The contract is an ever-evolving document which is formed in part by what the workers are doing today.

Would I ever rule out such contract language? No but the company would have to pony up for a portion of our monthly service charges through a flat monthly or annual reimbursement.

Cell phones most certainly make our lives both easier and harder. Easier in that communication is instant. Harder in that they can become an ever-increasing part of our lives.

The other point of "it makes it easier for me" is also worth discussing further. Just because something is easier does it make it the right thing to do? What affect, if any, would doing this have on my co-workers? For example, driver has a T-shirt shop where the owners go to lunch from noon-1 daily, which is when the driver is in that area. The driver calls the owner to give them their COD totals. The owner write the checks and leaves them inside the unlocked back door. Driver delivers the package(s), retrieves the check(s), completes the delivery and locks the door on his way out. This arrangement benefits the driver and shop owner but is one that is not available to the cover driver(s) so, yes, "it makes it easier for me" does affect another union hourly.

This is an excellent post which should have each of us perhaps second guessing what we do and the affect that it may have on our co-workers.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

I am still trying to gather my thoughts as I want to respond in the same coherent, articulate and intelligent manner in which the OP was made.

This was one of the best posts I have read on here in some time. There is little that any of us, hourly or management, could disagree with here. I don't think we would ever see contract language regarding the use of personal cell phones for company business but then again I never thought we would have a monitoring system as intrusive as Telematics. The contract is an ever-evolving document which is formed in part by what the workers are doing today.

Would I ever rule out such contract language? No but the company would have to pony up for a portion of our monthly service charges through a flat monthly or annual reimbursement.

Cell phones most certainly make our lives both easier and harder. Easier in that communication is instant. Harder in that they can become an ever-increasing part of our lives.

The other point of "it makes it easier for me" is also worth discussing further. Just because something is easier does it make it the right thing to do? What affect, if any, would doing this have on my co-workers? For example, driver has a T-shirt shop where the owners go to lunch from noon-1 daily, which is when the driver is in that area. The driver calls the owner to give them their COD totals. The owner write the checks and leaves them inside the unlocked back door. Driver delivers the package(s), retrieves the check(s), completes the delivery and locks the door on his way out. This arrangement benefits the driver and shop owner but is one that is not available to the cover driver(s) so, yes, "it makes it easier for me" does affect another union hourly.

This is an excellent which should have each of us perhaps second guessing what we do and the affect that it may have on our co-workers.

How does the driver get a signature for the T-Shirt shop? I can't tell you how many times I've seen this kind of situation explode in the driver's face. All it takes is one simple mistake, and then the driver is completely at fault. I've seen a handful of drivers get fired for this very thing. Sure, they got their jobs back, but at the price of two to four weeks of lost wages.

Why not just go back after 1PM? Is it really that big of a deal to follow the methods and get a signature? How much time are you saving and for who? You can't eliminate every single bump that you encounter? And bending the rules to make one stop easier never made sense to me.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

It's called a signed delivery note. They've been around for a hundred years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As I am sure you guessed I am the driver in question. The signature is taken care of through SDN's. I am not in that area again until late afternoon. Customer is happy with the arrangement.

Indecisi0n

As I am sure you guessed I am the driver in question. The signature is taken care of through SDN's. I am not in that area again until late afternoon. Customer is happy with the arrangement.

Nice way to cover your @$$ but I doubt you use them in this example. So you are taking on the responsibility of locking up the guys store? What if something happens? If the lock malfunctions on the door and stuff is stolen. The UPS driver was the last person in the store. Too many things can go wrong here like said above whats the big deal about going back later on?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Nice way to cover your @$$ but I doubt you use them in this example. So you are taking on the responsibility of locking up the guys store? What if something happens? If the lock malfunctions on the door and stuff is stolen. The UPS driver was the last person in the store. Too many things can go wrong here like said above whats the big deal about going back later on?

In your case, maybe its a good thing that the customers on your route are UPS's customers and not yours.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

What if a meteor crashed on your pkg car?
Expect the unexpected. Put your four ways on, pull in your mirrors and tap your horn before exiting the vehicle and the meteor should aim for the closest FedEx truck.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Expect the unexpected. Put your four ways on, pull in your mirrors and tap your horn before exiting the vehicle and the meteor should aim for the closest FedEx truck.

Shouldn't you be on your way to Shawano or Minoqua?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

I agree with outta hours post wholeheartedly.
I started using my cell to text customers with no regular hours and they then hunt me down to get their stuff. That is unfair to cover drivers, I see that now. Never thought of it like that. I was trying to put customer service first. Seriously in this day and age, they should know when they have stuff by tracking it, they can then still come get it from me. I have been putting the customer first, and wasting my time, mothering them.
I do not answer when its a boss, or the center. After they took my kindness as a weakness and yelled at me on my own phone.
When I go back, my phone will be in my purse, and used only for an emergency, or personal on my breaks. When I am told to cal x to make an air meet, Ill just say I have no phone, set up a meet and let me know via ups communications in diad.
Actually I have seen the down side. I did not have a working phone one day, and i told them three times I needed an air meet. I got in as the shuttle was locking up, with 50+ air. I said how come you never got back to me? She said, I figured you would call someone. Leaving the running of the business to me, and making their position easier and mine harder. Im all about helping when I can, but that was a bit over the top I thought.
So while I am neither pro-anti either, we all have our jobs, and making meets is not in my job description, it is in dispatch.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

Shouldn't you be on your way to Shawano or Minoqua?
Manitowish Waters Tuesday morning. Have to finish dorm room shopping first and then have a stress test tomorrow afternoon. Come to think of it, should probably have scheduled stress test at end of vacation!

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I and others made this point time and time again, glad it's finally making traction.

If you make agreements outside of the contract, you are inevitably affecting co-workers.

My best example personally, in recent memory, is a shop steward who makes deals with management and takes his lunch well outside of the contract window, to make his job easier and satisfy management. Pretty soon, all of the other FT people with his job description in other centers were INSTRUCTED to violate the contract as well. Then I came along, and I said "no thanks, I'll take my lunch within the contract" - and I was of course, harassed and basically "tried to make quit" because I didn't fall in line with the other sheepling.

The worst part is I notified our BA about the stewards extra-contract agreements , and he said more or less, none of your business.

This is why the union is equally to blame as management for workplace issues. "MYOB" doesn't work, since others shortcuts and side-deals can quickly become other peoples problems.

brown_trousers

I and others made this point time and time again, glad it's finally making traction.

If you make agreements outside of the contract, you are inevitably affecting co-workers.

My best example personally, in recent memory, is a shop steward who makes deals with management and takes his lunch well outside of the contract window, to make his job easier and satisfy management. Pretty soon, all of the other FT people with his job description in other centers were INSTRUCTED to violate the contract as well. Then I came along, and I said "no thanks, I'll take my lunch within the contract" - and I was of course, harassed and basically "tried to make quit" because I didn't fall in line with the other sheepling.

The worst part is I notified our BA about the stewards extra-contract agreements , and he said more or less, none of your business.

This is why the union is equally to blame as management for workplace issues. "MYOB" doesn't work, since others shortcuts and side-deals can quickly become other peoples problems.

Im just curious as to what kind of "agreements" people are making with management. You mentioned lunch times, what other agreements are being made?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

It's called a signed delivery note. They've been around for a hundred years.

I drove PC for 21 years. Never in that time we allowed to used SDN's at a business address. As I said, I've known guys get fired when a discrepancy came up. Maybe your center manager allowed it, but don't be fooled into thinking that it's YOUR ass on the line, not his. All of this is even more important when it comes to COD's. And I would definitely never lock a customer's door. Why not just go back during business hours?