The birthplace of UPS

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
When you were at the park could you hear the ghost of Jim Casey crying?

I visited Seattle about a year ago and was not not impressed. That's another thread.

I went looking for the birthplace of UPS and found the neighborbood right around dark. It didn't take long to decide I'd be better off somewhere else. That's a rough part of town! -Rocky

Last edited:

mountaingoat

When I visited Waterfall Garden, I thought that it was a very nice place in the middle of the historic district (or about one block up). I couldn't find the sidewalk plaque (thinking that it was in the garden) so I asked the security guard where it was. He was so old and it took him forever to stand up that I thought it could have been Jim Casey himself. The plaque is outside the garden on the sidewalk - I thought that it was pretty neat to be able to stand at the site where my company began 101 years ago.
UPS Plaque.jpg

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Yeah, he was crying; "Why did you invite the Teamsters in? We were doing great, had awesome employees, and the Teamsters taught the hourly how to be lazy and get paid for work not performed. They didn't even try to unionize, we invited them in. Now, we hire our overpaid employees based on seniority, not performance. Most of them aren't qualified to work at a carwash, but we pay them $28+/hr and benefits".
Excellent motivational technique! Please make some more negative blanket generalizations to tar me with! Hint: I'm feeling motivated now, but I'm pretty sure it's not in the manner how you intended.

hyena

Yeah, he was crying; "Why did you invite the Teamsters in? We were doing great, had awesome employees, and the Teamsters taught the hourly how to be lazy and get paid for work not performed. They didn't even try to unionize, we invited them in. Now, we hire our overpaid employees based on seniority, not performance. Most of them aren't qualified to work at a carwash, but we pay them $28+/hr and benefits".
Hey superslut it was Jim Casey who invited the teamsters in because he actually cared about how his people would be treated. From what ive read he grew up poor and had to work. (something you obviously dont have to do) Once his company got huge he rememered how he started and where he came from. He brought the Teamsters in to protect us from managers like you! And since my managers seem to be just like you in there way of thinking, I have a question what ends up coming out of an Article 37 grievance!

hyena

A friend and I drove up to Seattle today to watch the Seahawks get their asses kicked by the Packers. It was my first NFL game ever, as well the first time in a few years that I have been in Seattle. Before the game started we went for a walk and I found the little park near Pioneer Square that is the birthplace of UPS, where Jim Casey founded the original American Messenger Service back in 1907. It is a pretty neat little waterfall park and on the wall next to it is a sign and a plaque. It is in a historic part of town, about 5 blocks from the stadiums where the Seahawks and the Mariners play.
Thats really cool SoberUPs I would love to go see where it started.

mountaingoat

I'll even give you a few more pictures. The first is of the big sign on the brick wall as you approach from the Pioneer Square area. The second is the dedication plaque from 1977. The last one is of the interior of Waterfall park itself. The waterfall makes the park loud, but it's a peaceful place, and I'm proud to say that I work for the company that put it there.
Waterfall Sign.jpg
Dedication plaque.jpg
Waterfall park interior.jpg