The Budapest Memorandum

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Sir Tony Brenton, who served as British Ambassador from 2004 to 2008, said that war could be an option 'if we do conclude the [Budapest] Memorandum is legally binding.' The Budapest Memorandum was signed in 1991 by Bill Clinton, John Major, Boris Yeltsin and Leonid Kuchma - the then-rulers of the USA, UK, Russia and Ukraine. It promises to protect Ukraine's borders, in return for Ukraine giving up its nuclear weapons.

wkmac

What does your 2nd post have to do with the OP? I initially thought from the thread title that this was a movie review of a new action thriller.

In the case of the Ukraine and not unlike Venezuela, I'm not convinced the good ole' USA, USA, USA isn't playing both sides again.

Funny how we see the Ukraine right to secede from Russia as valid and asserting with Russia having no right to stop it while we celebrate our right to have seceded from England while then seeing Lincoln as champion to stop others when they decided to secede themselves. Politics if anything are nothing but a big contradiction.

If consent of the govern means anything, the voluntary right to withdraw from any relationship has to be respected. It also acts as a major checks and balance upon tyranny in any form. For a short time this past week, right or wrong in justifying their action, a group of drivers in NY proved that point IMO. Later consequences aside, tip of the hat to those drivers in returning to pre-Wager tactics like the old school Wobblies and Knights of Labor. Damn gutsy and damn proud of you.

With that, you can now return to posting your Obama cartoons that actually speak more about you than it does about Obama.

MAKAVELI

What does your 2nd post have to do with the OP? I initially thought from the thread title that this was a movie review of a new action thriller.

In the case of the Ukraine and not unlike Venezuela, I'm not convinced the good ole' USA, USA, USA isn't playing both sides again.

Funny how we see the Ukraine right to secede from Russia as valid and asserting with Russia having no right to stop it while we celebrate our right to have seceded from England while then seeing Lincoln as champion to stop others when they decided to secede themselves. Politics if anything are nothing but a big contradiction.

If consent of the govern means anything, the voluntary right to withdraw from any relationship has to be respected. It also acts as a major checks and balance upon tyranny in any form. For a short time this past week, right or wrong in justifying their action, a group of drivers in NY proved that point IMO. Later consequences aside, tip of the hat to those drivers in returning to pre-Wager tactics like the old school Wobblies and Knights of Labor. Damn gutsy and damn proud of you.

With that, you can now return to posting your Obama cartoons that actually speak more about you than it does about Obama.
I just don't see the similarities of our civil war and what is happening in Ukraine with Russia. Maybe you can enlighten us.

wkmac

It's kind of like free speech. You can't proclaim free speech as valid and then when someone sez something you don't like, to now proclaim their right to free speech is not valid. Secession works the same IMO.

Overpaid Union Thug

Shades of the Cold War. Back to the Future!

And speaking of the Cold War.....Have you ever read Pravda? I've been reading it allot over the past year. It didn't take me very long to notice that many Russians seem to have a "post" Cold War inferiority complex towards the U.S. that is very apparent in their current leadership. The Cold War never really ended in my opinion. Despite Russia's apparent desire to turn up the heat again I don't think we need to worry about a repeat of the Cold War of the 1950's-1989 because that would require that both sides participate. That's hard to do when the current American administration is wanting to make drastic cuts militarily.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Funny how we see the Ukraine right to secede from Russia as valid and asserting with Russia having no right to stop it while we celebrate our right to have seceded from England while then seeing Lincoln as champion to stop others when they decided to secede themselves
Ukraine is not seceding from Russia. It is an autonomous country.

Sevastopol is probably the reason for Russian intervention.