The Campaign to Eliminate Older Couriers

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This effort seems as if it has really been ramped-up lately, as we are getting rid of older couriers left and right at least in my district. A few have gotten sick or injured and got eliminated on the 90 day plan, but most are getting terminated for "cause", which appears to be targeting these senior employees on policies that get overlooked with younger workers.

The witchhunt seems to be at Code Red level as of late, and it's probably not a coincidence that they need to pay for the raise in March. Remember, Fred giveth nothing unless he taketh back in equal measure (Memphoids 10:30).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I see another round of lawsuits on the horizon.

Yes, so do I. One of these days there is going to be someone up high in MEM that actually has a conscience who will record a meeting, forward an email, or otherwise reveal this strategy. If you're over 40 and you can survive the purge, there might be some $$$ on the horizon. This is so wrong, but since Fred has no conscience, it will keep going until the lawyers catch up with it.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, so do I. One of these days there is going to be someone up high in MEM that actually has a conscience who will record a meeting, forward an email, or otherwise reveal this strategy. If you're over 40 and you can survive the purge, there might be some $$$ on the horizon. This is so wrong, but since Fred has no conscience, it will keep going until the lawyers catch up with it.
So I'm guessing you are wrapping up the finishing touches of your exit strategy?

vantexan

Might be something to this. We just had 3 routes on my loop consolidated into 2 rts. One of the drivers was moved into town(these are all extended areas) and a 5X8 courier took over his 4X10 while myself and another courier, both 5X8's, are expected took pick up the extra. In effect sr.mgr just turn us 3 into 5X10's, or close to it, plus slammed another 4X10 with more work. Didn't inform us in advance, didn't have a meeting with our loop. For me it means not getting lunch until 1500 or later most days, and mgr told me this morning that was just fine, and that a 30 min lunch was good enough. I told him that if I work 8+ the D.O.T. requires me to take a hour lunch. Told me if he tells me to take a 30 min lunch I have to. Told him no sir, those rules are there for our benefit and he can't force me to take less than a hr if I work 8. The other 5X8 is literally freaking out, calling me and going off about management, claims he's getting chest pain. Heard today they're doing it to another extended loop too. And the sorry thing is this is about the only way to get hours and better pay. So yeah, they're trying to wring out as much as possible for that raise.

vantexan

Might be something to this. We just had 3 routes on my loop consolidated into 2 rts. One of the drivers was moved into town(these are all extended areas) and a 5X8 courier took over his 4X10 while myself and another courier, both 5X8's, are expected to pick up the extra. In effect sr.mgr just turned us 3 into 5X10's, or close to it, plus slammed another 4X10 with more work. Didn't inform us in advance, didn't have a meeting with our loop. For me it means not getting lunch until 1500 or later most days, and mgr told me this morning that was just fine, and that a 30 min lunch was good enough. I told him that if I work 8+ the D.O.T. requires me to take a hour lunch. Told me if he tells me to take a 30 min lunch I have to. Told him no sir, those rules are there for our benefit and he can't force me to take less than a hr if I work 8. The other 5X8 is literally freaking out, calling me and going off about management, claims he's getting chest pain. Heard today they're doing it to another extended loop too. And the sorry thing is this is about the only way to get hours and better pay. So yeah, they're trying to wring out as much as possible for that raise.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Might be something to this. We just had 3 routes on my loop consolidated into 2 rts. One of the drivers was moved into town(these are all extended areas) and a 5X8 courier took over his 4X10 while myself and another courier, both 5X8's, are expected took pick up the extra. In effect sr.mgr just turn us 3 into 5X10's, or close to it, plus slammed another 4X10 with more work. Didn't inform us in advance, didn't have a meeting with our loop. For me it means not getting lunch until 1500 or later most days, and mgr told me this morning that was just fine, and that a 30 min lunch was good enough. I told him that if I work 8+ the D.O.T. requires me to take a hour lunch. Told me if he tells me to take a 30 min lunch I have to. Told him no sir, those rules are there for our benefit and he can't force me to take less than a hr if I work 8. The other 5X8 is literally freaking out, calling me and going off about management, claims he's getting chest pain. Heard today they're doing it to another extended loop too. And the sorry thing is this is about the only way to get hours and better pay. So yeah, they're trying to wring out as much as possible for that raise.

It could be the plan to move senior people on out the door. Pressure the heck out of them, add another layer of stress, and maybe someone who is 45 or 50 will decide enough is enough, or maybe even suffer a major health issue from being asked to do more than their body and mind can handle. That way you might be able to displace them from the courier job after 90 days and then eventually eliminate them altogether. Oh, that's right, we're a People company, so that could never happen.

Push the 45 year old who is topped out and prone to more medical costs (remember that FedEx is self-insured) into early retirement or termination and then replace them with two PT 23 year olds with low potential for health issues and $15 per hour. Sounds like a strategy to me too.

whenIgetthere

This strategy of bringing in younger couriers will backfire. Just heard from a friend in a station about 20 miles from here about an incident at the station. Driver totalled a W700 while texting! It was a new hire, on the road less than a couple of months. Don't know the exact details, but the people who told me are always accurate in what they tell me.

snackdad

This strategy of bringing in younger couriers will backfire. Just heard from a friend in a station about 20 miles from here about an incident at the station. Driver totalled a W700 while texting! It was a new hire, on the road less than a couple of months. Don't know the exact details, but the people who told me are always accurate in what they tell me.

Compare the costs of keeping a topped out veteran employee who drives safe everyday versus what a single accident can cost FedEx when a new hire wrecks.

franknitty

I said this several months ago, and i'm sure some of you guys have mentioned this as well, but if you're one of employees who are topped out there is a target on your back (I'm included) ! We are going to be the first ones that management is going to be keeping a close watch on.

bbsam

Staff member
I said this several months ago, and i'm sure some of you guys have mentioned this as well, but if you're one of employees who are topped out there is a target on your back (I'm included) ! We are going to be the first ones that management is going to be keeping a close watch on.
And if you don't act now, you will have no defense against it. Watch all you want. What are you going to do?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Just so everyone knows, there is no DOT rule about taking a 1 hr. lunch after 8 hrs. on the clock.
Ask any UPS driver how much lunch they take.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just so everyone knows, there is no DOT rule about taking a 1 hr. lunch after 8 hrs. on the clock.

Today was 45 minutes with an additional 45 minutes of down time. My on-car rode with me today (S&V ride) and the PDS sent me out light.

Today was a good day.

vantexan

Even now with the 14hr rule that's break and work combined. I've been literally all over the country and everywhere they say at least 30 mins when over 6hrs, 1 hour when working 8 or more. And no break can be taken in the first or last hour of work. Doesn't mean they comply with the rules though. We took 30 mins right after clocking in and sure enough the truck arrived 5 mins after we started break. More than likely the DOT gives leeway for extraordinary circumstances like Christmas, but I'd bet good money they'd take a dim view of forcing workers to not get a break until 1500 or much later, and only 30 mins, part of it spent running down the road to get back in time.

vantexan

It could be the plan to move senior people on out the door. Pressure the heck out of them, add another layer of stress, and maybe someone who is 45 or 50 will decide enough is enough, or maybe even suffer a major health issue from being asked to do more than their body and mind can handle. That way you might be able to displace them from the courier job after 90 days and then eventually eliminate them altogether. Oh, that's right, we're a People company, so that could never happen.

Push the 45 year old who is topped out and prone to more medical costs (remember that FedEx is self-insured) into early retirement or termination and then replace them with two PT 23 year olds with low potential for health issues and $15 per hour. Sounds like a strategy to me too.

To give you an idea, our loop rt numbers are 669, 668, 667, 666, and 663. Today 668 needed to drop 5 dels, which should go to 667. 667 and 666 are both heavy rts and today each had 73 dels. I, 663, was closer to 668 so said I'd do them. They said great, left station. Told mgr what I was doing and he got upset, said we need to respect the protocol and learn the process. He wanted 668 to give them to 667, and 667 to drop to 666, and 666 to drop to me. Problem is that in order to do those 5 667 would have to drop close to 30 dels, and 666 would do the same to me. Instead of them doing what they know and me, being much closer, running out there. There's close to 85 years of experience in our loop, and no one is asked for advice or opinions, it's just do what we say. Our senior even took one of our 4 offloaders away saying we can go faster with 3 instead of 4. I beginning to miss the previous senior, who was an S.O.B.!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
To give you an idea, our loop rt numbers are 669, 668, 667, 666, and 663. Today 668 needed to drop 5 dels, which should go to 667. 667 and 666 are both heavy rts and today each had 73 dels. I, 663, was closer to 668 so said I'd do them. They said great, left station. Told mgr what I was doing and he got upset, said we need to respect the protocol and learn the process. He wanted 668 to give them to 667, and 667 to drop to 666, and 666 to drop to me. Problem is that in order to do those 5 667 would have to drop close to 30 dels, and 666 would do the same to me. Instead of them doing what they know and me, being much closer, running out there. There's close to 85 years of experience in our loop, and no one is asked for advice or opinions, it's just do what we say. Our senior even took one of our 4 offloaders away saying we can go faster with 3 instead of 4. I beginning to miss the previous senior, who was an S.O.B.!!

OK, now this is really starting to look like an orchestrated effort. We are also killing routes and eliminating or shifting loaders, with the exact same excuse given. Sure...3 people can unload faster than 4. Uh huh. Your route balancing "system" sounds like ours in that it is cast in stone, and doesn't take into account common sense or experience, both of which are conspicuously absent in engineers. It's just stupid, but that won't stop them because some clueless engineer has said it can be done faster their way, and management will trust a piece of paper or a spreadsheet every time. The one variable that is never taken into account is variability itself, which is impossible to calculate accurately in this business.